Winter Wheat 2021

Mid cork

Well-Known Member
If you were in same scenario as I was, knowing of impending rain but excellent spraying conditions and a known grass weed issue and an agronomist very keen to get a pre emerge on, would you spray full rate, spray a half or lessor rate with a view to coming back in a few weeks or not spray at all?
That field with the problem got 0.45l ,and yeah the plan was a spring graminicide also.
There was a lot to be said for ipu!
Any one hear that ipu is coming back? I am sure I read it somewhere a while back, apparently there’s a new formulation that is less prone to leaching.
 

no name

Well-Known Member
Generally don't get much pre emerge done here, it does be enough of a struggle to get it sowed, but a few dirty fields or wet ones would be done. Don't see any great difference in any today at least. I find pre emerge rarely needs a follow up where waiting until the aphid spray which might or might not happen usually needs a clean up in the spring and having nothing on until the spring adds a tenner to cost and Pacifica and the likes are far from crop friendly, ud easily end up with the wheat version of the yella barley contest which has to hit yield imo. On oats I find dff applied early very good, full weed control for under 3 euro.
 

TM155

Well-Known Member
Are you aiming not to spray any insecticide?
I am not against pre-em use in any way, just think it is an option for certain problems, but I don't think every field needs to be nuked with the strongest graminicide. Pre-em's are more effective on certain weeds, but also harder on the crop.
If you have the time and know what the advantages and pitfalls are, Pre-em will do a great job.
Some years we use aphicide, more often we dont.
 

kildare

Well-Known Member
You’re spot on as far as I know,

These autumn herbicides are designed to be residual so that they remain available to control weeds over the winter period without being washed away, it will take a certain amount of time for them to bind to the soil.

I think it’s the clay particles that they bind to. This could explain why Sandy soils are at greater risk of herbicide damage following heavy rain as there is less clay for the herbicide to bind to.

Generally, the crop is under the greatest risk if it has germinated but not yet emerged (same with oilseed rape).
The small germinating seeds then end up in a soup of water and herbicide under the soil which is toxic to them.
Very good points there Cork. I noticed same this year. Two fields of wb and the light land field is more affected. Even seems worse in the wheel tracks of tractors where drainage would be slower.
 

Masseyrk662

Well-Known Member
Quick one for ye again lads, my night time thinking is at me, in wheat ground index 1 for k (P index is very good) would ye go in with muriate of potash early as you can in spring ? And wait till March for the rest of the k along with the start of N and P. Or compound early as you can in spring at a low amount then finish in we say March ? Or apply nothing untill the usual timing in March ? Regret not putting out any K at sowing now but didn’t have soil test results until about 3 weeks after sowing. Just gliding back through old threads on this forum and see occasions where crops might be under pressure and a bag of 10-10-20 might be applied in early feb. Crop looks healthy as could be at the moment compared to the winter barley but just the low K has me wondering what the best option would be
 

jd-baz

Well-Known Member
Quick one for ye again lads, my night time thinking is at me, in wheat ground index 1 for k (P index is very good) would ye go in with muriate of potash early as you can in spring ? And wait till March for the rest of the k along with the start of N and P. Or compound early as you can in spring at a low amount then finish in we say March ? Or apply nothing untill the usual timing in March ? Regret not putting out any K at sowing now but didn’t have soil test results until about 3 weeks after sowing. Just gliding back through old threads on this forum and see occasions where crops might be under pressure and a bag of 10-10-20 might be applied in early feb. Crop looks healthy as could be at the moment compared to the winter barley but just the low K has me wondering what the best option would be
@Blackwater boy
 

gone

Well-Known Member
Quick one for ye again lads, my night time thinking is at me, in wheat ground index 1 for k (P index is very good) would ye go in with muriate of potash early as you can in spring ? And wait till March for the rest of the k along with the start of N and P. Or compound early as you can in spring at a low amount then finish in we say March ? Or apply nothing untill the usual timing in March ? Regret not putting out any K at sowing now but didn’t have soil test results until about 3 weeks after sowing. Just gliding back through old threads on this forum and see occasions where crops might be under pressure and a bag of 10-10-20 might be applied in early feb. Crop looks healthy as could be at the moment compared to the winter barley but just the low K has me wondering what the best option would be
I would go as early as you can with 2 bags of 10/5/25, or if you get to travel before mid January go with 0/7/30.
 

diesel power

Well-Known Member
Quick one for ye again lads, my night time thinking is at me, in wheat ground index 1 for k (P index is very good) would ye go in with muriate of potash early as you can in spring ? And wait till March for the rest of the k along with the start of N and P. Or compound early as you can in spring at a low amount then finish in we say March ? Or apply nothing untill the usual timing in March ? Regret not putting out any K at sowing now but didn’t have soil test results until about 3 weeks after sowing. Just gliding back through old threads on this forum and see occasions where crops might be under pressure and a bag of 10-10-20 might be applied in early feb. Crop looks healthy as could be at the moment compared to the winter barley but just the low K has me wondering what the best option would be
Unless land dries out I wouldn't let it worry me. As soon as conditions are good enough go. There's nothing more annoying then looking across a field and seeing mucked up tramlines. I have the cap and the badge for that and nowadays I try wait if I can.
 

Soissons

Well-Known Member
Is anyone noticing an issue with vigour in wheat this year, costello sown 4 weeks into good conditions after osr and it seems like it's standing still.
Germination was good , the plants are there despite slugs and crows but there's no power in the plants at all. I kind of have half an idea that it's 2019 seed I got, i noticed on 2 half tonne bags the remains of stitching where it looked like label had been ripped off and new one stitched on, maybe some other explanation but .......
Crop is completely even across fields so I don't think it's a fertility issue as one of the fields is along a river and has about 10 different soil types across it from gravel to peat to clay and plants are consistent throughout.
Only other thing was that it got naceto at 0.3l/ha 24 hours after sowing but only 12hours before about 30mm of rain.
It wasn't rolled after sowing.
Crop will be ok I think but just want to figure about why it's the way it is.
Does seed be tested for vigour


The same as you only after beans. Basic Costello seed but seems to have no vigour. No pre em and not rolled. Good plant count but very thin leaves. Soil type varies from sandy gravel to heavy clay and everything in between including peat so both free draining and waterlogged patches but crop is uniformly weak. Belfry w.barley sown the next day is motoring away. Any hope of some form of hybrid wheat ! :rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bcl

Bcl

Well-Known Member
The same as you only after beans. Basic Costello seed but seems to have no vigour. No pre em and not rolled. Good plant count but very thin leaves. Soil type varies from sandy gravel to heavy clay and everything in between including peat so both free draining and waterlogged patches but crop is uniformly weak. Belfry w.barley sown the next day is motoring away. Any hope of some form of hybrid wheat ! :rolleyes:
Definitely an issue with costello vigour alright. I sowed Graham into a field on the same block a day after the costello, they all got pre emerge the same day, last week both varieties looked stressed but i fwas out this evening and Graham has pushed on a nice bit ahead of costello. Had to go with second go of pellets today on wheat after rape, damage being done, hopefully got it on time
 

Hardysplicer

Well-Known Member
No panic on potash so don’t be worried about trying to get out early
Depending on P levels there is any amount of combinations of NPKS but 10-5-25+S Sounds like it would fit the bill
Finish K before stem extension with straight potash or korn kali
19-0-15+S might suit Either for a finish
 

CORK

Well-Known Member
Second crop Illuminate sown 16 days ago is up.

A much better scene than this time last year.

A few crows around but it should get away from them soon.
Got one in the middle of the field. Fired at least 2m ahead of him a long way out in flight and instant kill. The calm morning helps accuracy.

EE3B315A-3BBA-4729-AF07-4720BDD92A92.jpeg
 

diesel power

Well-Known Member
Costello coming on well.
20201122_164407.jpg20201122_164416.jpg
I was surprised how well it's come on since I last saw it and tbh reading about it been less vigorous then usual had me a bit concerned. There is some bit of a difference in the seed though as the last field I sowed has a clear line where I loaded the last 1/2 ton bag of seed. It was to dark to get any kind of decent picture but it's noticeable although the plants do seem to be there. I'll get a pic next time I'm walking off a very filling dinner
 

TM155

Well-Known Member
Is it too late to sow winter wheat do lads think? Never sowed near this late before but we have a field of beet to harvest at the end of the week and if conditions allowed us to get wheat in as a third crop would be great.
 

CORK

Well-Known Member
Is it too late to sow winter wheat do lads think? Never sowed near this late before but we have a field of beet to harvest at the end of the week and if conditions allowed us to get wheat in as a third crop would be great.
If conditions are good and you sow 400+ seeds/m2 then I’d be happy to do it. Crows will need watching though......!
 

rustymcsocks

Well-Known Member
Is it too late to sow winter wheat do lads think? Never sowed near this late before but we have a field of beet to harvest at the end of the week and if conditions allowed us to get wheat in as a third crop would be great.
If conditions are good drive on and plant it. Up the seeding rate in relation to TGW and be prepared not to see it emerge for nearly a month. And also be prepared for crows.
 
Top