Winter wheat 2022

Was there ever many results published from it? I’ve no memory of seeing or hearing much about 1 system V the other.
I wrote a 255 page book on it if you want a bit of light reading.

There was numerous experiments conducted on it over the years but the plot sizes were small. The min-till plots tended to yield better in dry years and the plough based system performed better in wet years.

The problem with a trial like that is the 4 treatments (plough/min-till +/- straw) had to be treated exactly the same to be scientifically sound. Same sowing date, seeding rate, fertiliser application rate and timing. At farm level different establishment systems often require different management strategies but that is not permitted on a trial like this which can provide an unfair advantage to one of the treatments.

We gave up on min till/ non inversion last Wednesday. We started to plough, with the one pass running close behind.
We’ve had rain every day since, there were days we did nothing, days we started in the morning and got stoped in the afternoon, days we got going at 3pm for a few hours until the next shower.
It’s slow going, but we are very glad to be getting a bit done, we are working the slower bits of ground, smaller fields, stones to be picked etc, trying to give ourselves a bit of a handicap to limit output and get the bulk of the work over the next two weeks, in what we’d consider to be the ideal sowing time for our area and our system.

There pictures are wheat we sowed yesterday after spring rape.
A03A4678-BDB3-46D8-BB26-218B3C3943FB.jpegC119ED8D-FC3D-44AC-92DC-A75189A6155C.jpegRain stopped play last night, got ploughing again at 1 today, rain coming again tonight and the early part of tomorrow, from then on things are looking good.

There was numerous experiments conducted on it over the years but the plot sizes were small. The min-till plots tended to yield better in dry years and the plough based system performed better in wet years.

The problem with a trial like that is the 4 treatments (plough/min-till +/- straw) had to be treated exactly the same to be scientifically sound. Same sowing date, seeding rate, fertiliser application rate and timing. At farm level different establishment systems often require different management strategies but that is not permitted on a trial like this which can provide an unfair advantage to one of the treatments.
I sometimes really wonder about methodology in these experiments. The way I judge my grand experiment is by making decisions and then checking bank balance at the end of the year. Doing this for five years or more across a rotation would surely be as sound a methodology as any. Record the financials and any observations and hey presto, info a farmer can use. There are things to trial where isolating one variable is necessary, but in a systems trial, surely unnecessary, or am I missing some science stuff here.

rumour has it, they're adding no till to system trial as well. But if they persist with methodology above, it defo won't work.

I sometimes really wonder about methodology in these experiments. The way I judge my grand experiment is by making decisions and then checking bank balance at the end of the year. Doing this for five years or more across a rotation would surely be as sound a methodology as any. Record the financials and any observations and hey presto, info a farmer can use. There are things to trial where isolating one variable is necessary, but in a systems trial, surely unnecessary, or am I missing some science stuff here.
Yes, unfortunately you are. While your methods are probably correct, "probably" doesn't cut the mustard, nor should it for such important experimental work. Multi factorial statistical analysis works to a point but the more variables introduced the confidence level falls so far below statistically significant it becomes no better than guess work. Trial work is more difficult than you think.

What's the book title? Any free copies for F4F members :smile:

Was sowing winter wheat, but progress was halted by the packer roller on the powerharrow locking up, the axle is badly damaged, not good.IMG-20211008-WA0004.jpgIMG-20211008-WA0003.jpgIMG-20211008-WA0002.jpg

Graham, sown @150kg following winter oats. Had planned to min till this also as I had lime applied after harvest but I wasn't happy with the seed coverage such was the bulk of straw so it was ploughed. Probably no harm except for ploughing the lime, it is leased ground and never ploughed up to the oats and could do with levelling.

Attachments

• IMG20211012153033.jpg
    IMG20211012153033.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG20211013125909.jpg
    IMG20211013125909.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 56
Back