Winter wheat 2022

Hang on now Are you serious? How are we supposed to cut every field the same day when they were say 20% moisture? Crops that were 20% Sunday were 12 yesterday
As I say I'm not making excuses for the weather, I was only saying that's the perfect way to cut it that's all.

Who cuts at 28%? Your grain will probably be refused at that moisture?
Myself and the brother in law cut wheat at 42% . You could only half fill the tank . I had a wire brush on a pole to scrape the inside of the combine. We were able to drive the bray loading shovel up on the heap of grain . It was like those bean sprouts stir fry you get in a chinese restaurant . We had to redry it during the winter as the first run only stabilised it . We never stopped for dinner and were eating during the nine O Clock news and saw the weather forecast with heavy rain coming . The tame contracctors father was cutting a field of standing wheat for us and we went back out and cut until we got rained off . The brother was going home and he heard Lady Diana was injured in a car crash .

We left a field of Geraldine on Tuesday because even though the grain was 13 the straw was pure silage, regardless of how slow the combine went losses in the straw was too much. Returned this evening and its much improved but the moisture is now 11.5

We left a field of Geraldine on Tuesday because even though the grain was 13 the straw was pure silage, regardless of how slow the combine went losses in the straw was too much. Returned this evening and its much improved but the moisture is now 11.5
I was in the same situation with Geraldine Monday but I persisted with it and I had a few Walker losses, moistures were 14.8 to 13.7, it’s straw was baled this eve and only just fit. It was not very enjoyable cutting it

I'm only going on the old saying.. allways believed the best weight to sell grain was 20 to 22, I know nothing about your b*llox to be fair. I understand there is a heat wave but seriously? I know there are lads with huge acres but to let it go to 13%..
With this type of heat you don't get a chance it literally goes from unfit 23% one day to 15% the next. I cut 10ac field yesterday that was a first barley ley, every head standing, straw like silage and it was 14.9 and 13.2, it was sown the end of April should have been nowhere near fit, the funny thing was it was the cleanest sample even though it was "false" ripe, not a bit of beard to be seen. You couldn't have enough output at the moment just to get it in pronto because it's so ghot moisture will just drop off to nothing. Finished baling last night at 10:30 moisture was around 9 still, you'd be lucky to get that in the middle of the day normally, bales stopped turning in the chamber yesterday, had to stop baling between 2 and 6.

Finished with the winter wheat (Graham) . 122 tn from 27 acres so 4.5t/ac.

That's 1t more than last years crop (JB Diego) from separate 10ac and 17ac fields, definitely didn't look as nice or clean this year. Also got 11 units/ac less of N this year

Anybody with 2nd wheats and how are they doing?

I'm having some thoughts.....
None this year but I had the 3 previous years and the first 2 got on well actually nearly my best wheat crop in 2020 only to be brought back down to earth with a bang last year so didn't chance it this year for luck maybe.

The Dawsum wheat was very satisfying to cut, moisture went lower than we’d like (12.5% was the lowest) but it’s probably a good complaint in this country despite missing out on weight.

The first crop wheat looks to have done 5.1-5.2tn and the second crop did 4.5tn. The crops definitely had more potential in them but they got caught for moisture in the end. The second crop wheat certainly had more BYDV too despite being sown later (it was January infection and I think the smaller plants were more susceptible).
All yields adjusted to 20%mc. Bushelling 80-82kph.

We never grew this much wheat before (90ac) so we’ll be thankful for the luck.

FFC87BDC-A3DA-40C7-9AF3-56DA3207AEC3.jpegB9CAB6FB-F75D-4AA1-A607-C02BEBA8EB93.jpeg0EEDCB65-7315-464E-B652-531067736BB0.jpeg34B5B101-64A1-4FEB-8BD9-B2FE94DF7B04.jpegAB967607-A66A-4FFE-8183-0E3E4DE46E42.jpegB1B96B33-7E17-4E43-A8E7-2097FB6A5A7D.jpeg

Wheat wrapped up here Saturday, yield was 4.52 @12 moisture. Happy enough with the considerable rabbit damage in the field. Yield monitor showing 5t+ across most of the field but some areas had nothing left, more regrew but amounted to very little.
In fairness, you should be a bit more than, happy enough, with just shy of 5ton crop of wheat😎😎. Throw in grain prices and that's bank

Back