workshop hints and tips

As promised, the five have legs/stands welded at different spacings so they can be stacked together neatly when not in use.
View attachment 99866View attachment 99867
Neighbour has something similar although his is one hurdle with a gate hung off each end of it and loader brackets onto move it with, just pick it up set it in the gap swing gates out. Can block a 50ft gap with it.

How often do you want to open/close it?

Could a couple of ropes and two light lift out posts work?
It will be opened and closed twice most days.and changed direction of cows coming in or out depending on which part of the grazing there coming from.
As some have suggested post and electric fence which have been using there is one other slight fly in the ointment, when one is buffering either autumn or spring they tend to pull into the barrier and not move up through the shed or into the collecting pen as such and causes a bit of pushing and shoving around the entrance hence someone gets shoved through it.
A lad suggest to be about hanging a gate of the silo wall 20 ft long and having a swing around gate attached to that gate that can be extend out to the Lhs or Rhs of the entrance depending on direction of approach.obviously there would have to be a jockey wheel on the other end of the gate bolted to the silo wall, would it be possible to put another type of gate to it that it could extend out and fold back against the other gate and close it all out of the way up against the wall when not in use..
Like the idea of @MF30 gates but was hoping that it could be done safely and not having to bother with the loader.
Just when you have a person in milking that if cows coming in from that block had that part ate and heading in the opposite direction coming out from milk ing then that it could be done safely and quickly without a machine.

Sorry if yee confust now 😉

It will be opened and closed twice most days.and changed direction of cows coming in or out depending on which part of the grazing there coming from.
As some have suggested post and electric fence which have been using there is one other slight fly in the ointment, when one is buffering either autumn or spring they tend to pull into the barrier and not move up through the shed or into the collecting pen as such and causes a bit of pushing and shoving around the entrance hence someone gets shoved through it.
A lad suggest to be about hanging a gate of the silo wall 20 ft long and having a swing around gate attached to that gate that can be extend out to the Lhs or Rhs of the entrance depending on direction of approach.obviously there would have to be a jockey wheel on the other end of the gate bolted to the silo wall, would it be possible to put another type of gate to it that it could extend out and fold back against the other gate and close it all out of the way up against the wall when not in use..
Like the idea of @MF30 gates but was hoping that it could be done safely and not having to bother with the loader.
Just when you have a person in milking that if cows coming in from that block had that part ate and heading in the opposite direction coming out from milk ing then that it could be done safely and quickly without a machine.

Sorry if yee confust now 😉
I’ve seen 20’ gates with a barrow wheel on the end,no reason you couldn’t hang another gate off it.

I went looking but can’t find a picture of it now, but I’ve a gate that’s either 22 or 24ft long in the yard here, it’s 3 lengths of 40mm box and it’s all bolted the same way as a ramp gate on a cattle trailer as the ground in the yard is very uneven, it rises about 6ft in the swing of the gate. There’s 2 wheels of the power washer on the very end. It’s just a 40mm upright at each end with lengths of plate welded to it and then the horizontals are bolted in and a strap in the middle to support it. I was nervous that it might be a bit wobbly but it stays perfect thankfully. I’ll get a pick tomo if I remember

Have a spot in mind for it outside the door of the cow shed.cows have to go into the shed to the parlour.there is almost 40ft of a gap between the front of the shed where the door is and a silo wall the far side.
As cows can be coming from either the Lhs or the Rhs , I have a centre post in the concrete where it can be lifted.had rope across from silo wall to the door to divert them in but there are a few that decide " a feck this " and do their own thing.
Could hang a 20ft gate of the silo wall out to the centre post no bother, but in order to get from the centre post to the door way the gate needs to be able to swing to let them in from Lhs or the Rhs.
It would be simple enough if machinery and delievery trucks wasnt passing the same way, so I need a way of closing off the 2nd part next the door but where that part can be moved quickly .
Thought that idea of the windbreaker on rachets with the centre post as a middle support could work rightly, but at that price !!!!
Any ideas appreciated

That’s a great idea I have a big awkward gate approx 30ft that keeps milkers in collecting yard for milking on a wheel to move a keep them tight. It’s on its last legs nearly 45yrs old, that gate would be ideal

Now we're sucking diesel .
That is what I've in mind.
Safe , quick and efficient.
Bit of making in it though, fair play to you for finding and putting up that link
I’m thinking make the 1st bit and mount a standard field gate onto it,could have 20’ heavy build with a standard 16’ gate mounted on it.

I had a brainwave today. I was spreading fertilizer today and my window clean bottle and WD40 can were wandering around the floor . When you buy enough drink they sometimes give you those compartimentilized shopping bags for holding the wine bottles.

Attachments

• 2AC36B9B-6CA2-4B6F-A895-F51D7F7D6230.jpeg
    2AC36B9B-6CA2-4B6F-A895-F51D7F7D6230.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 110
Back