workshop hints and tips

headcase

Very Senior Member
any hints to share to make life easier

when changeing rear axel oil in your tractor fit an old pipe on the spools and pump most of the oil out before dropping the drain plug

Tidy up when you've done and put stuff away clean and working. Might sound obvious but the times I've gone looking for something, spent 20 minutes finding it to then find out it's bust. Arrrgh!:angry:

any hints to share to make life easier

when changeing rear axel oil in your tractor fit an old pipe on the spools and pump most of the oil out before dropping the drain plug
succesfully manages to knack a high oil flow pump doing that , might not have been the cause of the failure but was the final straw

succesfully manages to knack a high oil flow pump doing that , might not have been the cause of the failure but was the final straw
its a chancy enuf game,
at the least it would lead to the pump cavitation, not the end of the world, but detrimental in the long run.

sorry head case, not trying to be smart or anything.

re a workshop tip,
when undoing manifold dolts, a couple of hard strikes of a copper hammer works wonders.

its a chancy enuf game,
at the least it would lead to the pump cavitation, not the end of the world, but detrimental in the long run.

sorry head case, not trying to be smart or anything.

re a workshop tip,
when undoing manifold dolts, a couple of hard strikes of a copper hammer works wonders.
watch the oilflow ,as soon as it slows let go of the spool and switch off

by time it slows down its to late , the pump itself is immersed in oil to lub it so its not just the lack of oil going through it that does it :blushing:

anyone got any tips that work then and dont knacker something:sneaky2:

if you read my 1st post it says pump most of the oil out:001_rolleyes:

when trying to remove sheared studs dont bother with easy outs just weld a nut onto the stud instead . must have spent hours doing this . never used more than 25 nuts to get 1 a stud out :001_rolleyes:

when heating something to unseize it put some candle wax on instead of oil to lubricate it .
wax doesnt evaporate and the hotter it gets the thinner and further it will work its way in to the joint you are trying to free off :thumbup1:

pumping oil out of the spool is a good enuf tip, it wont destroy a pump,
but to be PC about it, you wont find it in any manual.
it leaves the job handier no doubt.
i do be reluctant to do it here as a rule, but i have done it in the past with older tractors.

i use a vacuum unit now that basically sucks out the oil for me while i am working at something else.

When you cant get the outer race of a bearing out, weld right along the inside of it(the race, dont weld the race to anything else:laugh:) then it will then shrink with the heat and pop out!:thumbup1:

no it will expand with the heat,but as it is in a contained space it cant so when it cools it shrinks.:thumbup:

keep your old backend and hyd oil to one side, mix it with a drop of diesel and use a schutz gun and an empty stone chip bottle and spray it on machines for the winter hibernation.
it keeps paint tickety boo.
but every one prob dose that neway. so maybe no news here.

keep your old backend and hyd oil to one side, mix it with a drop of diesel and use a schutz gun and an empty stone chip bottle and spray it on machines for the winter hibernation.
engine oil's a bit messy:thumbdown:

:no::no::no: cant do that there not b enough to kee the salamander going all winter

Na grumps the heat pulls it in, you never tacked one side of something only to go aroond the other side and there big a big gap as the heat has pulled it up!
grumps is right on this one TB, its in a contained space, the box you tack isnt.
its the cooling and shrinking effect that loosens it.

Back