WOSR into grassland

korky buchek

Has anyone experience drilling WOSR into old grassland? What’s the best establishment method? Or would it be better to go with a cereal?

I have put spring oil seed rape into grassland in the spring but if I had lea I would put in winter wheat .. By old grassland do you mean an old sod or are we talking about sally trees . Are there any fertility issues Lime etc that need to be rectified .
I presume you mean direct drilling it in because time is running out for sowing winter oilseed rape .

I have put spring oil seed rape into grassland in the spring but if I had lea I would put in winter wheat .. By old grassland do you mean an old sod or are we talking about sally trees . Are there any fertility issues Lime etc that need to be rectified .
I presume you mean direct drilling it in because time is running out for sowing winter oilseed rape .

30 year old pasture. P1 K2 L=3t/ac. Didn't take for trace elements. Could get late for WOSR. I want at least 3 weeks of a burn off to ensure good root kill:001_unsure:. How did you find SOSR after and how did you set it?

I sprayed off with Roundup and gave it a run of the horsch terranno but on some fields I had to use a disc first and then sowed it with a Kockerling Drill.
Over the years I have probably put Spring Rape into 150 acres of lea ground without ploughing it and it has yielded between 1 to 1.4 tonne /acre .
You could always plough it .

I sprayed off with Roundup and gave it a run of the horsch terranno but on some fields I had to use a disc first and then sowed it with a Kockerling Drill.
Over the years I have probably put Spring Rape into 150 acres of lea ground without ploughing it and it has yielded between 1 to 1.4 tonne /acre .
You could always plough it .

Thanks Bogman, you have the gear for min-till. I don’t plough or sow myself (contractor for plough and one pass) but I like the idea of the min-till option as the ground is stony. Does the Terranno do similar work to the Vaderstad Carrier or the V Topdown. Might be able to get someone with a V Carrier.
Would consider SOSR next spring. It would be my first time growing it with a view to satisfying new CAP greening proposals

Thanks Bogman, you have the gear for min-till. I don’t plough or sow myself (contractor for plough and one pass) but I like the idea of the min-till option as the ground is stony. Does the Terranno do similar work to the Vaderstad Carrier or the V Topdown. Might be able to get someone with a V Carrier.
Would consider SOSR next spring. It would be my first time growing it with a view to satisfying new CAP greening proposals

Why are you going to grow rape? i dont see much point in putting rape in after grass, Im guessing you are a grass farmer growing some crops, have you worked out the acres you need to grow to meet the greening measures?

Why are you going to grow rape? i dont see much point in putting rape in after grass, Im guessing you are a grass farmer growing some crops, have you worked out the acres you need to grow to meet the greening measures?

That's the question i'm asking? What are your thoughts on the most appropriate crop after grass and why? Thanks.

If fertility is high and the land suits it then id go for wheat, rape is a break crop an ideal crop to plant before wheat, in a continuous cereal field a break crop like rape or oats can be used to get back into 1st wheats (1st wheats have the best yield potential) wheat can be grown after grass for 2 years, the following years wheat will get take all and isnt normally grown again until year 7, though it can be grown if a seed dressing such as latitude is used but this is costly and yield will still suffer and be lower than a 1st wheat, wheat is a costly crop to grow, barley would be a more profitable crop from the 3rd year on until the take all risk has reduced in year 7, by growing a break crop like rape, beans or oats you could get back into a 1st wheat before year 7, also rape cant be grown year after year either normally a gap of 5yrs is left though some now grow it after 4yrs, i hope this helps, though may only confuse things even more, growing crops is not as simple as some people think.

If fertility is high and the land suits it then id go for wheat, rape is a break crop an ideal crop to plant before wheat, in a continuous cereal field a break crop like rape or oats can be used to get back into 1st wheats (1st wheats have the best yield potential) wheat can be grown after grass for 2 years, the following years wheat will get take all and isnt normally grown again until year 7, though it can be grown if a seed dressing such as latitude is used but this is costly and yield will still suffer and be lower than a 1st wheat, wheat is a costly crop to grow, barley would be a more profitable crop from the 3rd year on until the take all risk has reduced in year 7, by growing a break crop like rape, beans or oats you could get back into a 1st wheat before year 7, also rape cant be grown year after year either normally a gap of 5yrs is left though some now grow it after 4yrs, i hope this helps, though may only confuse things even more, growing crops is not as simple as some people think.

Cheers ithastopay, lots of information there. Read somewhere (IFJ I think) that disease pressure can be lower in cereals after grass, for example, eyespot isn’t a big issue in wheat. Is this true and is there a similar effect with the barley diseases? What about weeds?

As a sideline greening us still up in the area but fair play at least you are thinking about it rather than in 2015.

Also important to remember additional pest problems coming out of grass.

Back