Yield Limiting

Plough and furrow press then a run of the power harrow before coming in with the mf drill. Flat roll if land is fit and no roll at all if it's not. I've tried incorporating P&K into winter seed beds and found practically no difference vs waiting until spring time and putting it on then. Lime goes out as necessary onto ploughed ground and is tilled in.
Is it a press on the plough or a trailed press you have?

Plough and furrow press then a run of the power harrow before coming in with the mf drill. Flat roll if land is fit and no roll at all if it's not. I've tried incorporating P&K into winter seed beds and found practically no difference vs waiting until spring time and putting it on then. Lime goes out as necessary onto ploughed ground and is tilled in.
What type of furrow press? Whats pulling it?

The reality is that probably 5% of the 5% actually go to see the ploughing itself :laugh:
I do like to plough my own fields and can understand why someone would compete in a ploughing competition but I never could understand how one could be a spectator. Life is way too short for that.

The reality is that probably 5% of the 5% actually go to see the ploughing itself :laugh:
Only ever once saw the actual ploughing and that was by accident after I made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in the ploughing area. I did stay and watch for a while but I got bored watching them ploughing at about 3 yards an hour.

Only ever once saw the actual ploughing and that was by accident after I made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in the ploughing area. I did stay and watch for a while but I got bored watching them ploughing at about 3 yards an hour.

I always like to have a look at the ploughing, some serious artwork there. It’s actually one of the parts that I’d prefer at the event. A nice break from the crowds, the prams, industry hangers on and super markets pretending to care.

I hope to go look at the ploughing tomorrow . Actually I have never been down to that farm and I often heard my father talk of Mahers of Kilbricken so it will be interesting to have a look .
Tough ground, I still don't understand why all the ploughmen were practicing in one of the kindest fields in the country. I kept saying to them that I had much tougher ground to practice on, but they kept saying if you can plough here you can plough anywhere???????
I could not understand that, as your tame contractor use to say if that field say a plough passing the road it would be ploughed well.

I hope to go look at the ploughing tomorrow . Actually I have never been down to that farm and I often heard my father talk of Mahers of Kilbricken so it will be interesting to have a look .

You'll be on the road to Damascus so :yes:

@WestCorkBoy, are the crops better in the wheelings?

Spotted today, suspect this is like yours DP.
20190922_124935.jpg

I’ve seen the wheat variety Cellule completely break down to Septoria within two years in Ireland. The Septoria fungus adapted so quickly - it was shocking.

From this experience and looking at the way plants & diseases interact, I’m convinced that in this climate, we’re at nothing unless we have genetics & chemistry working together. Mother Nature won’t always work in your favour, she’ll eat you up and spit you out.
https://www.ndrs.org.uk/article.php?id=041013

Back