zero grazing

Just an update. Were feeding approx 500kg of silage, cows out to grass by day and overnight on zero grazed grass. Finally were getting a lift. Not enough time to record, but cows def more content.

Funny thing though. Cows prefer ZG grass in preference to silage.

So getting some comfort in giving it a go.

They'd be the last of the bunch (late april). But 2 didnt do well, 1 of them was just 20kgs behind breeding target (and probably could have been bulled but wasnt happy with her fat level).
I've never come across that at all. Learn something new everyday :thumbup2:

The snag with using older recipients is that although you should get the same or better conception the et vet will almost always reject a few and you'll lose even more time with them. I also believe you'll get more embryo deaths/abortions with ET pregnancies.

The snag with using older recipients is that although you should get the same or better conception the et vet will almost always reject a few and you'll lose even more time with them. I also believe you'll get more embryo deaths/abortions with ET pregnancies.

Interesting. I'l have to weight up my options, I have 1 cow to scan she'll definitely be worth the risk if she can be done. Her daughters might be worth it but it'd be a far tighter thing

A similar machine in latest pfi. Had dump trailer parked at headland and just tipped into it. Saves a set of wheel marks I suppose

The only way that yoke would have been of any use would be to have something like a hopper from a beet harvester on it so that you could pull up beside a decent sized trailer and dump in a few load, or at least that was my thinking when i first posted it....

Have heard there is a man not too far away zero grazing with a claas sp and disco header to get cover off some fields mainly

Have heard there is a man not too far away zero grazing with a claas sp and disco header to get cover off some fields mainly

That's a good idea to clean up grass, would trailed filling with 2 trailers keep the harvester going where the volume of grass would be very low? Would all grassland benefit from this clean up? What's the downside of doing it?

That's a good idea to clean up grass, would trailed filling with 2 trailers keep the harvester going where the volume of grass would be very low? Would all grassland benefit from this clean up? What's the downside of doing it?

not all grassland, tbh you need a little cover over winter, if it gets really cold you could destroy the sward altogether. if there is no leaf to create energy it uses up sugars stored in the root to survive, this needs to be replenished come spring so can slow down spring growth, but worse is that if the energy in the root runs out then the plant is dead. you don't want too much cover as it'll become a dead mat, yet you need a little cover.

So don't mow it too tight then and it would be ok? Isn't it great to have all these options, even if there not used very often, to be able to ring a contractor with a direct cut head and get a field with too much cover cleaned up, in a short time with good machinery fitted with the correct tyres, sometimes we don't realise how much we have progressed, it's not that long ago the only options were double chop silage or small squares bales of hay.

So don't mow it too tight then and it would be ok? Isn't it great to have all these options, even if there not used very often, to be able to ring a contractor with a direct cut head and get a field with too much cover cleaned up, in a short time with good machinery fitted with the correct tyres, sometimes we don't realise how much we have progressed, it's not that long ago the only options were double chop silage or small squares bales of hay.

yea leave a few inches and you'll be grand, it is amazing when you think on it, wasn't that long ago that 20.8 x 38 was a big tyre:D

Depending on the job it could still be a big tyre, I remember we had 16.9's on a tractor and lads thought they were huge.. That's less than 20yrs ago.

Was on a farm walk recently where the farmer had pre mowed the second last round of grazing, he had a lovely even re growth on the fields that were pre mowed.

Back