ZetorMan98's Workshop Projects

That came up well for you .

I'd have taken out the tree ?

The first might be an Abbey ? One bought new a mile from here in the mid 70s looks similar . Could be any make though .

2nd , I'd be fairly certain is a Ferguson spring tine cultivator .

David Brown ... you make change your name .
If we go ahead like we’re planning there’ll be a fence running between the left and right walls in that photo against the tree so it shouldn’t really be in the way.
I must give a bit of a google around about the second cultivator. I’d imagine if it was a Ferguson there would’ve been some trace of grey on it? There doesn’t seem to be any.
The David Brown isn’t ours. It was one I put running for one of the neighbours going back last summer. He turned hay with it and she sat in the shed since so I asked him if he wanted to blow the cobwebs off her. The Ursus is a bit too wide for them harrows and the 2011 is needing a set of front wheels. There’s 2 different size wheels on it at the minute, one a 6 stud and one a 4 stud. So if anyone knows of a set of 4 stud front wheels to suit an old Zetor, I’m on the lookout for a set. I’ll get over having to get tyres if I can get rims.

That second harrow looks very like a kverneland spring tine grubber but open to correction.
Kverneland red would be the paint.
Was thinking similar, kverneland c tine. We’d a younger 14ft one here and I spent plenty of hours dragging it around when reseeding when younger, great job to bring up every stone 🙁

So, not so much in the workshop the last few days, but out working a bit of ground. We done a load of clearing over the Christmas with a 14.5 ton digger. The place was gone very wild in a few spots and there was a few gardens nearly completely overgrown with briars and scrub.
Dad took a notion last Thursday morning that he wanted to buy a spring time cultivator. They had one here years ago but it seems to have walked off, along with many other things including a tractor, but that’s a story for another day. Anyway, Thursday afternoon we went and bought this.
View attachment 88589
I’m told it’s an MF but no plate or any sign of a manufacturers mark on it, not that it makes any odds to us. 6ft wide. Gave the gardens a couple of pulls of it and it worked a treat. There are no depth wheels with it either but was sound working on the lift. Would they be much or any an advantage on it?
After a few pulls of that cultivator we pulled another one out of a hedge that’s around as long as dad can remember. I enquired about what colour it was as I’m intending on freshening it up a bit and was assured it was rusty as long as he can remember so I’d imagine it’d be at least 60 years old. Needed a few bolts changed and washers welded on to keep it together as the rust is getting to it a bit in spots but it worked very well. Left a nice fine finish after it. It could do with a full set of points/tips as they’re nearly all work back to nothing but all the springs are sound in it and the frame is fairly good too.
View attachment 88592
View attachment 88591
View attachment 88590
So if anyone knows anything about the second harrow let me know. Plate is missing off it. No idea of the make but there seems to be an odd spot of red paint on it, whether it’s just bits of primer or if it actually was red I don’t know.
This garden got a run of the steel rake to take out the bits of roots and some of the stones missed during picking. It’s as level and as good a finish as a lawn. We shook grass seed and fertiliser in it yesterday and just as we were finishing up it got a shower of rain. We’ll tackle into the walls when the grass is up a bit in it. Things are currently rather busy with college so that has to come first.
View attachment 88593
I’m sure there’ll be a few of ye wondering why we didn’t take out the wall and let it into one big field and take down the tree. I reckon the garden could be more useful the way it is than if it was let into the field. There was also a wall splitting that garden into 2 just beside the tree and were thinking of running a fence in it again. We’re hoping to get into sheep when we get the groundworks finished up and the garden is just behind the sheds so hoping they’ll be a convenient place to keep ewes and lambs for the first few days to keep an eye on them before they’re let off properly to grass.
First harrow would be known as a triple K around here.

Was thinking similar, kverneland c tine. We’d a younger 14ft one here and I spent plenty of hours dragging it around when reseeding when younger, great job to bring up every stone 🙁
They’d find stones that were never there in the first place...
I had a look at the Kverneland harrows and while a bit similar, the handles are completely different for adjusting and they’re all solid frames. This one has hinges in the middle, and the left and right can move slightly independently. Leading me to believe it’s very possible that @humungus could be onto something about it being a converted horse drawn. The headstock doesn’t allow the hinges in the middle to pivot very much either.
We couldn’t run it too deep on account of the tips being worn to nothing so it wasn’t too bad finding stones but we’d be in very stony ground anyway so may not take much notice. We’re on the side of a bit of a hill and if you go a bit down the road to the lower spots it’s just sheet rock (all limestone). The lower fields have a pH of up to 7.5 while the higher ones are closer to 6.5, which we’ve put down to the nature of the ground around here and higher fields being further from the rock. You wouldn’t dare try and dig a hole manually anywhere here without bringing the crowbar, as you’d surely hit a big stone.

Have one of the 2nd type harrow in the nettles somewhere. We knew them as a spring tine harrow. I never seen one with the 3 point linkage. As @humungus says the ones I seen were all trailed, probably originally horse drawn.

So, not so much in the workshop the last few days, but out working a bit of ground. We done a load of clearing over the Christmas with a 14.5 ton digger. The place was gone very wild in a few spots and there was a few gardens nearly completely overgrown with briars and scrub.
Dad took a notion last Thursday morning that he wanted to buy a spring time cultivator. They had one here years ago but it seems to have walked off, along with many other things including a tractor, but that’s a story for another day. Anyway, Thursday afternoon we went and bought this.
View attachment 88589
I’m told it’s an MF but no plate or any sign of a manufacturers mark on it, not that it makes any odds to us. 6ft wide. Gave the gardens a couple of pulls of it and it worked a treat. There are no depth wheels with it either but was sound working on the lift. Would they be much or any an advantage on it?
After a few pulls of that cultivator we pulled another one out of a hedge that’s around as long as dad can remember. I enquired about what colour it was as I’m intending on freshening it up a bit and was assured it was rusty as long as he can remember so I’d imagine it’d be at least 60 years old. Needed a few bolts changed and washers welded on to keep it together as the rust is getting to it a bit in spots but it worked very well. Left a nice fine finish after it. It could do with a full set of points/tips as they’re nearly all work back to nothing but all the springs are sound in it and the frame is fairly good too.
View attachment 88592
View attachment 88591
View attachment 88590
So if anyone knows anything about the second harrow let me know. Plate is missing off it. No idea of the make but there seems to be an odd spot of red paint on it, whether it’s just bits of primer or if it actually was red I don’t know.
This garden got a run of the steel rake to take out the bits of roots and some of the stones missed during picking. It’s as level and as good a finish as a lawn. We shook grass seed and fertiliser in it yesterday and just as we were finishing up it got a shower of rain. We’ll tackle into the walls when the grass is up a bit in it. Things are currently rather busy with college so that has to come first.
View attachment 88593
I’m sure there’ll be a few of ye wondering why we didn’t take out the wall and let it into one big field and take down the tree. I reckon the garden could be more useful the way it is than if it was let into the field. There was also a wall splitting that garden into 2 just beside the tree and were thinking of running a fence in it again. We’re hoping to get into sheep when we get the groundworks finished up and the garden is just behind the sheds so hoping they’ll be a convenient place to keep ewes and lambs for the first few days to keep an eye on them before they’re let off properly to grass.

On the 1st triple k type tiller . I have a feeling that it may not be factory made .
Most factory made tillers of that type had 2 x 3/8 flat on its edge for the upper frame . Not box , as is in yours.
Also the top link section , the braces are welded to the lower frame . Factory made were bolted , so that they could be sort of flat packed for transport .
There one here , that my father bought new in 1961 . I think its a Flemstoffe, might have a look later .

On the 2nd one . I still think Ferguson. There was one very like it in my wifes home place 35 years ago .
I once had a booklet with all the implements available for a bronze 35 . I don't know where it ever went .
Possibly @TAFKAT has something on file ? Ferguson 20 would probably have had similar implements supplied with them .

On the 1st triple k type tiller . I have a feeling that it may not be factory made .
Most factory made tillers of that type had 2 x 3/8 flat on its edge for the upper frame . Not box , as is in yours.
Also the top link section , the braces are welded to the lower frame . Factory made were bolted , so that they could be sort of flat packed for transport .
There one here , that my father bought new in 1961 . I think its a Flemstoffe, might have a look later .

On the 2nd one . I still think Ferguson. There was one very like it in my wifes home place 35 years ago .
I once had a booklet with all the implements available for a bronze 35 . I don't know where it ever went .
Possibly @TAFKAT has something on file ? Ferguson 20 would probably have had similar implements supplied with them .
I never saw a Fergie or MF C tine harrow, other than this type.
1615390214852.png

we have a harrow I think is near identical to the first one, bought it years ago for £50 off the buy and sell, must see if i can get a few shots of it.
we also have one like the second one, its narrower though and is a converted horse harrow. a neighbour has a wider one but it was made up of 2 horse ones i think. neither had the frame over the top that yours has, just chains up to the toplink frame.

I think the Ferguson one was wider with a different headstock, I'd have to double check and all my literature is in storage at the minute. Flemstoffe? in front, something Danish beginning with F anyway, the plate is gone off it for donkey's years, and @gone's Ferguson behind it, the last relic of the arrival of tractor power at home in 1954.

1615400011897.png

I think the Ferguson one was wider with a different headstock, I'd have to double check and all my literature is in storage at the minute. Flemstoffe? in front, something Danish beginning with F anyway, the plate is gone off it for donkey's years, and @gone's Ferguson behind it, the last relic of the arrival of tractor power at home in 1954.

View attachment 88669

Thanks .

The Triple K here is the exact same as your one . I'll get a picture of the plate maybe tomorrow.

The Ferguson in the back were a fairly popular implement . Called a grubber by the men who would have been about when they were new .

Thanks .

The Triple K here is the exact same as your one . I'll get a picture of the plate maybe tomorrow.

The Ferguson in the back were a fairly popular implement . Called a grubber by the men who would have been about when they were new .
They were both grubbers in our place, harrows were chain harrows or zig-zag harrows.

That's a Flemstoffe Triple K there anyway Tafkat, we had an 8ft one here similar to it.
2 runs of the Bamford disc harrow on ploughed ground and 2 runs of that grubber with a chain harrow tied behind it was the seedbed preparation until probably the mid-90's. With 2 45hp tractors.

2 runs of the Bamford disc harrow on ploughed ground and 2 runs of that grubber with a chain harrow tied behind it was the seedbed preparation until probably the mid-90's. With 2 45hp tractors.

Wasnt too dissimilar here but had the 64hp on the Ransomes disc!

So just a quick update a month later on the garden we were working the harrows in. We spread grass seed and put a bit of 10-10-20 out with it as recommended. It’s coming along nicely. A little patchy in spots but it got an awful lot of rain after sowing so it’s to be expected. We also done a bit of fencing the yard end of it and I’m in the process of making a gate for the entrance (similar to the old type flat bar gates). I’ll be busy building walls then after that. All in all it has come out very well I think. Just needs a scrape again up behind the fence to tidy up the edge of the stone.
8CED89B8-9857-4AE3-AF7F-C47E883ACBE9.jpeg

Got the gate finished and it’s ready to go for galvanising. Have another 12ft to make and then 5 10fts of the same style. Will send them all together when I’ve the rest made.
34E5EB97-851B-44AC-A1B4-DD68369A0B48.jpeg
This is the original one that I’m copying from. Made of 30x6 flat bars and a 30mm angle frame. New gate is 40mm angle frame with 40x20 box rails and 40x6 on the diagonals and uprights. It’s a heavy pig but very little flex out of it compared to the old one.
D5D03E72-B18C-427C-83BB-B15507D75E2B.jpeg

Got the gate finished and it’s ready to go for galvanising. Have another 12ft to make and then 5 10fts of the same style. Will send them all together when I’ve the rest made.
View attachment 90179
This is the original one that I’m copying from. Made of 30x6 flat bars and a 30mm angle frame. New gate is 40mm angle frame with 40x20 box rails and 40x6 on the diagonals and uprights. It’s a heavy pig but very little flex out of it compared to the old one.
View attachment 90180
Lovely work.
Will you paint over the galvanising?
They look so much better in oxide red.

Lovely work.
Will you paint over the galvanising?
They look so much better in oxide red.
They’ll be painted afterwards, yes, but I might hang them for 6 or 8 months before hand just to weather the galvanise. It’ll help the paint stick better. We’re debating whether to paint them red or black. The house is white with black on the edges so black will go with it but I’m intending on painting the doors and shed roof red so red won’t look out of place either. The house is about 15 yards behind where the photo was taken.

Back