Bog Man

Lots of hand work.
DSCF2870.jpg

DSCF2869.jpg

DSCF2868.jpg

DSCF2865.jpg

DSCF2864.jpg

DSCF2861.jpg

Those were the days when apparently someone with "a bit of go in 'em" would buy a digger and would have it payed for in just 1 job :ohmy::yes:

Great pictures!

May I ask how long those drains have actually lasted!:thumbup1:
Most of them are still working . The six inch one got blocked with roots of an oak tree and flooded about three acres . It flows into a nine inch and it is a bit of an annual event to keep the exit clear .

We have tile drains here that were put in by POW's in the late 40's. Still running fine.
We have flexicoil drains put in by "professionals" with fancy trenchers in the 80's that are fecked and haven't run for years. In fact we have acres of them. :no:
Firm had LD written in big letters on their kit. Local consensus is that it stood for "Land Damage"!

We have tile drains here that were put in by POW's in the late 40's. Still running fine.
We have flexicoil drains put in by "professionals" with fancy trenchers in the 80's that are fecked and haven't run for years. In fact we have acres of them. :no:
Firm had LD written in big letters on their kit. Local consensus is that it stood for "Land Damage"!
could you put it down to any one thing why the newer way hasnt lasted ?

could you put it down to any one thing why the newer way hasnt lasted ?
Two things.
1. Water doesn't run uphill
2. Drains need to have a steady fall, not go up and down.

Spoke to another firm not long back, they said most of their work was putting right the mess the others made in the 80's.
Fella had bought a machine and the grants at the time paid for his work.

Lots of people seem to have tried to make it do this though.

Two things.

Spoke to another firm not long back, they said most of their work was putting right the mess the others made in the 80's.
Fella had bought a machine and the grants at the time paid for his work.
i get you.

seen them here too, with a county and a trencher, when she went over a mound so did the blade of the trencher, looked good, but below it was a disaster.

i get you.

seen them here too, with a county and a trencher, when she went over a mound so did the blade of the trencher, looked good, but below it was a disaster.

WTF? Not possible to adjust the depth or too stupid?

Grand photos, A lot of tile put in here since 1948 through grants, I am told it was <90% in the early 70's.

I can remember a similar set up as a small boy watching a 3550 shoving itself forward in peat until it bogged out and a CAT tracked shovel dragging it through whilst ditching went on. these drains are about bu**ered due to the peat shrinking and iron ocre filling them.

I have found in the past 10 years lots of drains in the loamy/clay parts of the farm that are 2" tile and 100 year old horseshoe tiles as well as lots of "stone drains" which carry a lot of water away. Mark you a new water main through the place did a good job of f***ing these up.

Lad around here had a Masterbroek (??sp) laser machine in the late 70's did a local clay farm and the story goes that whenever he hit a stone they lifted the chain and filled the trench with gravel so year 1 and 2 the system worked quite well it was year 3 on where the problems arose.

Thanks again

Cheers BB

The Hard way.
DSCN6173.jpg

Eating again.
DSCN6214.jpg

bogman the cradle on the back of the truck that lifts up the sacks of grain was it hydraulic or was it spring loaded do you know i remember that system from when i was a chap(in wexford all young lads are called chaps)

bogman the cradle on the back of the truck that lifts up the sacks of grain was it hydraulic or was it spring loaded do you know i remember that system from when i was a chap(in wexford all young lads are called chaps)
It was air operated when the bag came off the sack truck it landed on a strap that pulled a valve and up she went . A collector near Borris has one working on a Thames Trader Truck .

Back