alternative forages

I'm not sure, have you done that before with cattle?
I done it with sheep and it worked well, but less sure how well it would work with heavy cattle.
I saw it done before but the redstart was planted in June and was a lot stronger than your picture. I think the footprints of the cattle would do too much damage and hinder your crop for the winter when I presume that’s when you really need it

The late sown gorilla is emerging very unevenly, I think the horsch disc sower didn't get an even seedbed across the machine. I think if getting it sown by that machine again it needs a run of the Karat in front of it.
IMG_20180828_200651.jpg IMG_20180828_200659.jpg

The late sown gorilla is emerging very unevenly, I think the horsch disc sower didn't get an even seedbed across the machine. I think if getting it sown by that machine again it needs a run of the Karat in front of it.
View attachment 58024 View attachment 58025
How long is that in gone? I only sowed mine last Saturday, rub of the grubber, spread with fert spreader and ring roll, bit of a rough job but hopefully it will be ok.
There is a lot of pretty shite redstart and fodder rape down here, this is not a dig at direct drilling but it was all sown with the Moore unidrill into ley ground. Not sure was it slugs or dry weather but it’s not good.

How long is that in gone? I only sowed mine last Saturday, rub of the grubber, spread with fert spreader and ring roll, bit of a rough job but hopefully it will be ok.
There is a lot of pretty shite redstart and fodder rape down here, this is not a dig at direct drilling but it was all sown with the Moore unidrill into ley ground. Not sure was it slugs or dry weather but it’s not good.
A fortnight today I think.

CC I graze are dying on their feet, with no rain. Some in 6 weeks and there is Feck all coming :no:
Sowed 3rd August here and you'd have to take a second look at the ground to be sure it was in it. Saturday's rain brought it on a bit but a long long way from what's pictured above

Has anyone any issues with rape/redstart etc in after cereals? I heard a few stories of these crops coming up and all great looking but they died on their feet then from suspected SU contamination that was in the soil from earlier in the season

Is it gone too late , to sow rape now ?
I cut my 6.5 acre of spring barley on Wednesday. Field is 4 yrs ploughed so was going to plough and reseed it. Combine man suggested power harrow in rape now , "And let next year look after itself ". Reckoned it would carry 20 weanlings for a good while.
The man I usually buy my minerals / grass seed from rang me an hour ago , and I asked him about rape seed. He hasn't any now. Could be 4 or 5 days at least before he would. He says it's borderline late. Need to come up immediately . That it will cost €100 an acre all in. That he sowed some himself , but 3 weeks ago now.
Every thing depends on what weather comes.
It will be a silage field next year. And the pick next March could be nearly as good as what will be off the rape plus the field is let out .
Anyone any opinions ?

I cut my 6.5 acre of spring barley on Wednesday. Field is 4 yrs ploughed so was going to plough and reseed it. Combine man suggested power harrow in rape now , "And let next year look after itself ". Reckoned it would carry 20 weanlings for a good while.
The man I usually buy my minerals / grass seed from rang me an hour ago , and I asked him about rape seed. He hasn't any now. Could be 4 or 5 days at least before he would. He says it's borderline late. Need to come up immediately . That it will cost €100 an acre all in. That he sowed some himself , but 3 weeks ago now.
It will be a silage field next year. And the pick next March could be nearly as good as what will be off the rape plus the field is let out .
Anyone any opinions ?
Unless your very stuck I’d put in your grass seeds now and take an early grazing or two in the spring. Late fodder crop and spring reseed might come to very little until July or August next year after spending more money.

Anyone any opinions ?

My limited opinion would be the same as westcorkboy. Looking at the forecast it could be mid next week till it's sown so you are getting late and depending on a moist/mild month.

Has anyone any issues with rape/redstart etc in after cereals? I heard a few stories of these crops coming up and all great looking but they died on their feet then from suspected SU contamination that was in the soil from earlier in the season

Those stories are like the slugs in the silage in 2012 around here thus far!!!

Anyone any opinions ?

I'd be sowing grass seed in it now. Your guaranteed a crop of grass off it next may versus a gamble on rape now. How short are you on feed?

I'd be sowing grass seed in it now. Your guaranteed a crop of grass off it next may versus a gamble on rape now. How short are you on feed?

By the replies here , it seems grass seed might be the best option. They are giving a dry week , so if rapedidnt germinate quickly this late in the year , it would be a waste of money for a poor return.
A friend sowed it in July one year , and got most of the winter out of it grazing with weanlings. However , it looked like the scene of the battle of the Somme , and he couldn’t plough it until June the next year , so it took up the field for just 12 months. Hardly a “catch crop “.
I have silage to cut still, but not expecting it to be a bumper crop. I wouldn’t be too bad for feed if it’s ok , and I trim down stock , and the winter is 4 1/2 or 5 months long , not 6 1/2 months.

By the replies here , it seems grass seed might be the best option. They are giving a dry week , so if rapedidnt germinate quickly this late in the year , it would be a waste of money for a poor return.
A friend sowed it in July one year , and got most of the winter out of it grazing with weanlings. However , it looked like the scene of the battle of the Somme , and he couldn’t plough it until June the next year , so it took up the field for just 12 months. Hardly a “catch crop “.
I have silage to cut still, but not expecting it to be a bumper crop. I wouldn’t be too bad for feed if it’s ok , and I trim down stock , and the winter is 4 1/2 or 5 months long , not 6 1/2 months.

I think you should put the grass in it. You have sheds for the stock and outwintering looks grand this time of the year. Plus you'll have it sowed and won't have to sow it in the spring when cows are calving and calves being reared.

That's my 2 cents.

Back