Big Bag Hoist

A fert spreader must be one of the most painfull yokes in the history of Man to put on a tractor,
There's no swinging when loading.
There a great job but I'm not a massive fan of lifting half a tonne directly above my arm when I'm cutting the bag.
They do burst at times esp if it was a bag left from last year.

Seriously, do not put your arm under a bag to cut it or one day you will loose it.
Use a well sharpened slasher and stand to the side.

On those cranes do lads not find that they swing around quite a bit when loading and therefore a potential to damage the hopper.

No as others said , they dont swing at all. Well mine doesnt anyway.
Also I am not a fan of those big hooks bent from a steel bar. Fit a proper lifting hook is my advise.

IMV the hoists I have seen move the spreader back nearly 12", instead if the hoist was built around the spreader I think you should be able to not move the spreader an inch. I assume there are check valves on the hydraulic rams that lift the bag? Its even hard to see how the HSA pass the design of the hook on most of those hoists, surely it needs to be a closed eye chain link

Dangerous looking fert lifter in the Journal this week, maybe the picture is from far away but doesnt look up to the job to me

Last edited:
IMV the hoists I have seen move the spreader back nearly 12", instead if the hoist was built around the spreader I think you should be able to not move the spreader an inch. I assume there are check valves on the hydraulic rams that lift the bag? Its even hard to see how the HSA pass the design of the hook on most of those hoists, surely it needs to be a closed eye chain link

Dangerous looking fert lifter in the Journal this week, maybe the picture is from far away but doesnt look up to the job to me

Yes there is a check valve in case a hose bursts

Seriously, do not put your arm under a bag to cut it or one day you will loose it.

Absolutely agree, had a lucky escape myself last year with a lump at similar.

A well oiled slash hook or else an old combine section welded to a bit of a bar is ideal.

Did I see somewhere where someone had a blade welded into the spreader that you dropped the bag ontop of and when lifted again the fert poured out

Did I see somewhere where someone had a blade welded into the spreader that you dropped the bag ontop of and when lifted again the fert poured out

There was an old Vicon on ebay last week done with similar but I doubt you were looking at that!

Meant to add , it does put the spreader back 13 inches but a 6 cylinder with half a dozen weights means that is not an issue.
Also makes it much easier to attach/detach.

I know all to well what it's like having a half ton bag dropped on your arm. Nothing was broken including my arm thankfully but it fairly smarted for a few days after.

Back