Greenhouse Gas Emissions

If you ignore the fact that it's carbon monoxide from the car that kills you and not the GHGs

Sure the crowd in Dublin are trying to blame climate change on farmers, but ever time it rains heavy their own shyte ends up In the liffey.

Sure the crowd in Dublin are trying to blame climate change on farmers, but ever time it rains heavy their own shyte ends up In the liffey.

They pumped raw sewage through a pipe 1km off dollymount strand up to about 20 years ago. Then they spent hundreds of millions on sewerage plants to treat it so that they wouldn't be pumping it out to sea raw. Now it overflows into the liffey and flows raw under o connell bridge and on into the sea where raw human shite is visible on the sand on the beaches around Dublin Bay. It's some little country we live in.

Irish water
Cervical screening
Bank bail outs
Children's hospital
Agriculture
Broadband

There's an opportunity waiting for a new political party because fg aren't going to get reelected based on their record. Imagine what a great little country we could have if we didn't have corrupt people in politics.

They pumped raw sewage through a pipe 1km off dollymount strand up to about 20 years ago. Then they spent hundreds of millions on sewerage plants to treat it so that they wouldn't be pumping it out to sea raw. Now it overflows into the liffey and flows raw under o connell bridge and on into the sea where raw human shite is visible on the sand on the beaches around Dublin Bay. It's some little country we live in.

Irish water
Cervical screening
Bank bail outs
Children's hospital
Agriculture
Broadband

There's an opportunity waiting for a new political party because fg aren't going to get reelected based on their record. Imagine what a great little country we could have if we didn't have corrupt people in politics.

We wouldnt know what to do with ourselves if we had proper people in power that actually gave a shite about us. We might have proper roads and proper functioning hospitals

They pumped raw sewage through a pipe 1km off dollymount strand up to about 20 years ago. Then they spent hundreds of millions on sewerage plants to treat it so that they wouldn't be pumping it out to sea raw. Now it overflows into the liffey and flows raw under o connell bridge and on into the sea where raw human shite is visible on the sand on the beaches around Dublin Bay. It's some little country we live in..

Sure how many other towns around Ireland are still pumping out raw sewage, indeed my own local town only got its first ever treatment plant last year, raw sewage running out into 2 bays for a couple of hundred years, where up to 10 years ago the only swimming pool in the area was a tidal pool in one of those bays, only reason why it made the news this time is because it was Dublin, and there was no mention of the environmental impact to the marine life in the area, all they were concerned about was a few people not being able to go for a swim, in a city full of swimming pools!

Talking to a lad who test water today mainly around chem and dairy plants. He was telling me about the biggest polluters of waterways now are the sewage system and farmers with the sewage works the worst heads buried in the sand with what they are doing Dublin is only the most obvious one at the moment because it is in the news. He reckons there's only a few years left before its not reversible

Sure how many other towns around Ireland are still pumping out raw sewage, indeed my own local town only got its first ever treatment plant last year, raw sewage running out into 2 bays for a couple of hundred years, where up to 10 years ago the only swimming pool in the area was a tidal pool in one of those bays, only reason why it made the news this time is because it was Dublin, and there was no mention of the environmental impact to the marine life in the area, all they were concerned about was a few people not being able to go for a swim, in a city full of swimming pools!

Dare I say it, It's most coastal villages anyway and probably a share of coastal towns! Sure we can't fix the water leaks let alone pipe sewage properly....

Algae blooms in estuaries near cow farms are very obvious. We have to be vigilant in how we farm and not spend too much time pointing fingers. The amount of data the EPA and councils have on our rivers it would be hard to win an argument.

Algae blooms in estuaries near cow farms are very obvious. We have to be vigilant in how we farm and not spend too much time pointing fingers. The amount of data the EPA and councils have on our rivers it would be hard to win an argument.

They tested our river here at every bridge and they know what farmers are polluting more so than others. They got all farmers that have land touching d river to go to a meeting 1 morning 3 weeks ago and they dug down d riverbed to show them which wildlife survives in more polluted areas and showed them dead carcasses that cant stand any pollution. My father found it very interesting. We have cranes that feed along ours and a neighbours stretch this means little pollution were told

They tested our river here at every bridge and they know what farmers are polluting more so than others. They got all farmers that have land touching d river to go to a meeting 1 morning 3 weeks ago and they dug down d riverbed to show them which wildlife survives in more polluted areas and showed them dead carcasses that cant stand any pollution. My father found it very interesting. We have cranes that feed along ours and a neighbours stretch this means little pollution were told

There's a whole new inter agency program set up to monitor rivers and lakes for farm pollution in areas where drinking water has tested poorly. There's one area near here. We have had speakers come out to discussion group meetings. They claim that they are moving away from the stick and trying to use the carrot method to get farmers to comply. They are hosting meetings like what your father attended to introduce themselves. Now the first point of contact for the farmer is a local teagasc advisor who will meet with a farmer who is causing pollution and advise him on how to prevent it. The county council inspectors won't call to your door for a first offence. You will instead be given time to sort your pollution out.

There's a whole new inter agency program set up to monitor rivers and lakes for farm pollution in areas where drinking water has tested poorly. There's one area near here. We have had speakers come out to discussion group meetings. They claim that they are moving away from the stick and trying to use the carrot method to get farmers to comply. They are hosting meetings like what your father attended to introduce themselves. Now the first point of contact for the farmer is a local teagasc advisor who will meet with a farmer who is causing pollution and advise him on how to prevent it. The county council inspectors won't call to your door for a first offence. You will instead be given time to sort your pollution out.

That’s what they told him its to work with farmers and not against them. They seemed sound and said that local authorities are on holidays for this project

Local radio station was reporting on fish kill incidents in donegal, I can't remember the exact numbers it's something like 22 or 23, farmers were responsible for less than half the rest were from improper waste management facilities run by the council.

I was thinking about this a bit more this evening. Isn't it bizarre that we are talking about a cut in the herd and still nothing about how much carbon is being stored in hedges and grass stores.

Also interested that our dairy research body was on the committee....
Which is proof that their plan has nothing whatsoever to do with climate.

Do people ever wonder how bovines haven’t caused the climate to go haywire in the past seeing that they have been farmed for thousands of years and when the worlds population was lower there were as many bovines in the wild.

I think farming gets unfairly demonized alright. I think it's a combination of issues.

I've thought a lot about it lately. I think there is a dual cause. Obviously as time passes there is going to be naturally occurring changes in the climate, and we haven't really been around long enough to fully understand it.

On the other hand, i cant Imagine there were 7 million head of cattle in Ireland during prehistoric times.

In terms of numbers, when ardnacrusha power station was opened, it provided 98% of Ireland's electricity. In recent years, it was 2%. It still produces the same amount of power. Our electricity requirements have increased that much in 70 years. We're using an awful lot more energy as time goes on so that surely will have an effect.

In short, I think farming carries the can unfairly. Imo, I think air travel has a lot to answer for. A boeing aircraft either lands or takes off every 3 seconds around the world. Worth thinking about.

I think farming gets unfairly demonized alright. I think it's a combination of issues.

I've thought a lot about it lately. I think there is a dual cause. Obviously as time passes there is going to be naturally occurring changes in the climate, and we haven't really been around long enough to fully understand it.

On the other hand, i cant Imagine there were 7 million head of cattle in Ireland during prehistoric times.

In terms of numbers, when ardnacrusha power station was opened, it provided 98% of Ireland's electricity. In recent years, it was 2%. It still produces the same amount of power. Our electricity requirements have increased that much in 70 years. We're using an awful lot more energy as time goes on so that surely will have an effect.

In short, I think farming carries the can unfairly. Imo, I think air travel has a lot to answer for. A boeing aircraft either lands or takes off every 3 seconds around the world. Worth thinking about.

While I totally agree with everything that you said, I think its necessary to add the huge significance of Irish agriculture being green compared to any other country in the world. By green, I mean green. Look around at our country compared to 90% of other countries in the world. Green pastures soaking up C02. Pastures that regenerate and regenerate several times each year. look at our hedgerows - the amount of them that we have and the sheer greenness of them. No other country has this greenness. Our geographic location and the climate that we have as a result makes us unique for the production of food. We are compared to other countries producing beef in terms of greenhouse gas production. We have a massive bank of air purifying greenness which is never taken into account. It should be and if it was, in comparison to the south american countries who don't have the same production environment as us, they should be reducing beef production by 50% and we should be allowed to increase ours to make up for the shortfall in supply!!

While I totally agree with everything that you said, I think its necessary to add the huge significance of Irish agriculture being green compared to any other country in the world. By green, I mean green. Look around at our country compared to 90% of other countries in the world. Green pastures soaking up C02. Pastures that regenerate and regenerate several times each year. look at our hedgerows - the amount of them that we have and the sheer greenness of them. No other country has this greenness. Our geographic location and the climate that we have as a result makes us unique for the production of food. We are compared to other countries producing beef in terms of greenhouse gas production. We have a massive bank of air purifying greenness which is never taken into account. It should be and if it was, in comparison to the south american countries who don't have the same production environment as us, they should be reducing beef production by 50% and we should be allowed to increase ours to make up for the shortfall in supply!!

Absolutely mucky, I agree with that. We're just stuck between a rock and a hard place with regulations. To reduce carbon levels, you just build more wind farms, and wind farms have been a good success. We get 3 times as much electricity now from wind as we do from peat, so they appear to be a good job.

The second form of GHG is to do with methane. It's very wishy washy really and it is quantified by the amount of cattle we have, so as you said mucky our "greenness" isn't taken into account. Ireland has some of the highest grass growth rates in Europe. Our emissions output per head of stock would be way lower than other countries.

It's a complex issue that will require a complex solution. Farming certainly has an impact but not near what it's made out to be.
Irelands climate Impact is also minimal compared to the big players. We're in a good position in the grand scheme of things. It's the USA and China that need to take the lead.

Back