Trailers

it is a good idea for the likes of bigger stuff like roots of trees.
wonder how much it adds to the price of a std one.

Shouldnt be too much extra, not a whole lot more to it than the up and over door you would think.:001_unsure:

i think that looks well, maybe the photo is misleading.
would the reason some dont like them be because of their weight?

if i have my way we'll have 2 new 'tubs' next year

Yup my main reason would be weight Tinman. We were never in the silage game and all we mainly used/use trailers for is grain and beet. About 10 years ago or so a lot of them were sold in this area, they were very fashionable. However many were only bought to haul grain and beet like ourseleves, which they are way over engineered for in my opinion. A good few of them were used to cart sugar beet to carlow but because they were only IIRC 7'6'' lads could not get enough of a load on,and every year another greedy board. Some of the trailers ended up very high.
Very few new ones around these parts now, can only think of two contractors offf the top of me head.

Don't get me wrong O'hEidin they're a fine trailer and the older ones are standing the test of time well, but i believe they're not suited for the tillage man. But maybe with the new tub design they will start to sell well down here again. However there are a lot of trailers manufactures in the sth east now :001_unsure:

but would overengineering their trailer be such a drawback?

would it last longer than the rest of them because of it.

i know for about these parts a heavy trailer on soft ground is a very bad plan, but if you got the wheel choice right she wouldnt be too bad.

i remember drawing with a woods trailer yrs ago.
i did a day or two for a lad with a jf900, his trailers.
he had donnelly trailers too, swapped over for a bit and took the woods for a few load, after filling the load i set off up the field, got about half way and got out to see what was holding me back, nothing was, just a harder trailer to pull for some reason, they all look similar but there seems to be big differences all the same.

but would overengineering their trailer be such a drawback?

would it last longer than the rest of them because of it.

i know for about these parts a heavy trailer on soft ground is a very bad plan, but if you got the wheel choice right she wouldnt be too bad.

i remember drawing with a woods trailer yrs ago.
i did a day or two for a lad with a jf900, his trailers.
he had donnelly trailers too, swapped over for a bit and took the woods for a few load, after filling the load i set off up the field, got about half way and got out to see what was holding me back, nothing was, just a harder trailer to pull for some reason, they all look similar but there seems to be big differences all the same.

Over engineered probably isnt a bad thing but with the weight laws there is no point in having a heavy trailer not been allowed ta load it legally. Also with the price of diesel there is no point in dragging around all the extra weight. Remember its only from the tillage side of things i am saying.

Over engineered probably isnt a bad thing but with the weight laws there is no point in having a heavy trailer not been allowed ta load it legally. Also with the price of diesel there is no point in dragging around all the extra weight. Remember its only from the tillage side of things i am saying.
id agree with you there, you have a good point.

from the construction side of things you would never see too many of their trailers, there is some about, but the brunt of them are chieftain, mostly because the money was right, and new paint hides a multitude of problems really.
some herbst too, which seem to be a good trailer, at least they dont do the splits.
i have a gp14 here, a tbf one, handy trailer for me, flat floor so serves many jobs, should of bought the 16t one at the time, but greedy boards would solve that problem.

looking at it from a different angle, what really gives out on any of the trailers.

id agree with you there, you have a good point.

from the construction side of things you would never see too many of their trailers, there is some about, but the brunt of them are chieftain, mostly because the money was right, and new paint hides a multitude of problems really.
some herbst too, which seem to be a good trailer, at least they dont do the splits.
i have a gp14 here, a tbf one, handy trailer for me, flat floor so serves many jobs, should of bought the 16t one at the time, but greedy boards would solve that problem.

looking at it from a different angle, what really gives out on any of the trailers.

What have you got, a Tbf Thompson dropside? Tandem axle?

What have you got, a Tbf Thompson dropside? Tandem axle?
thought i had a better photo, but this will have to do.

she is only one of 4 in ireland, they were exported to denmark iirc.
they made a good trailer tbf.
i got hardox floor and sides in her at the time as it was originally only a 6mm floor, dont ask me why, i got 12mm floor and 10mm sides.
handy all round trailer, flat floor, drop down tailboard thats only half the height of the wall, i have a top tail for it too.
yes, tandem super singles.

Attachments

• DSCF6196.jpg
    DSCF6196.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCF0201 modified better.jpg
    DSCF0201 modified better.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 249
Looks a fine trailer, and very unusual as you say. Is it the pic, or is she doing the splits slightly? :blushing:

I can see exactly where TM155 is coming from with his arguement. Around me quite a few had Redrock also including one of the biggest contractors in the South East - he got rid of most of them about 3 years ago in his main fleet and went with a multi trailer deal with Smyth.

We have a veg factory not far from us and they use our road as a short cut. Smyth specially made trailers for them and I wouldn't rate them too light either!!

Personally, I think over engineering is not such a bad thing but that is because I'd probably be buying it at 10 years old and expecting it to last with maintainace for another 20 ;)

Until last year my only experience with Redrocks was drawing silage for an hour or two which is no contest as not much weight involved. I drew corn last year with a 18ft Redrock and 20ft Thorpe and although Thorpe are renowned for being heavy, the Redrock was a hard trailer to pull. It was also a very bouncy trailer due to the coil sprung drawbar and on bad roads sometimes felt it was pushing you along which didn't happen with the Thorpe.

But then I am the one who mainly uses a 45 year old 5t trailer :lol::lol:

Looks a fine trailer, and very unusual as you say. Is it the pic, or is she doing the splits slightly? :blushing:
naw, she is dead straight, never budged from where she was the first day, which is good.
but its a well made bogey.

Don't get me wrong O'hEidin they're a fine trailer and the older ones are standing the test of time well, but i believe they're not suited for the tillage man. But maybe with the new tub design they will start to sell well down here again. However there are a lot of trailers manufactures in the sth east now :001_unsure:

95% of our work is silage. . .

ours are norw 10 years old, with a power wash they look new, our kanes . . . well the same can't be said for the kanes . . .

Until last year my only experience with Redrocks was drawing silage for an hour or two which is no contest as not much weight involved. I drew corn last year with a 18ft Redrock and 20ft Thorpe and although Thorpe are renowned for being heavy, the Redrock was a hard trailer to pull. It was also a very bouncy trailer due to the coil sprung drawbar and on bad roads sometimes felt it was pushing you along which didn't happen with the Thorpe.

Sorry, then there was something wrong, the redrock's are absolute solid when on tow, even up to 55k

Sorry, then there was something wrong, the redrock's are absolute solid when on tow, even up to 55k

No need to apologise. As I said I was only the screwdriver behind the wheel and the fact that it had a few extra home made grain extensions probably didn't help. If it was mine I'd be checking it as clearly something was too loose.

This is a new one one me anyway.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OKwdes-RE"]YouTube - ‪Kat Trailers - Silage and Grain Trailers‬‏[/ame]

Back