20' Cattle trailer

With heavy cattle, I thought it dangerous when closing the doors, with the trailer lowered, the cattle were falling towards the doors, same when unloading.

Would you be supposed to drop the hitch as well as the axle? Probably not given they dont tend to have pickup hitches on the continent.

Do these actually sit on the floor for loading

David Sheehan Shinrone 0505 47375 makes a handy trailer single wheel out side of body, low floor suitable for short small loads , used to make a lot of tandem axle silage ,cattle and bale trailers .

Hey lads, my cousin is looking to buy a new 20' cattle trailer, with a single axle, aluminium sides and floor with a galvanised tank.
The 2 he has looked at are a Dooley and an A&W engineering trailer in Fenagh.
They are both coming in at around €11500 incl VAT.
Does anyone have any opinions on which is better, or indeed another manufacturer of similar cattle trailers in the South east region. Just for reference I think that an equivalent Broughan trailer is around 13.5K, but having seen the other 2 trailers myself, I would be fairly certain that a Broughan would be finished to a higher standard.
No discredit to either Dooleys or A&W, but the quality of welds and paint seemed slightly poor on one (Dooley) whilst the chassis and cross members looked quite small on the other (A&W).
Thanks!
Try blue mount trailer s .they make any size or design

This is on Facebook for sale, could put a new trailer under it and still be under budget?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-29-12-10-12.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-29-12-10-12.png
    664.3 KB · Views: 88
Could you get a trailer made up so you could take the hood off it and have maybe a low loader or bale trailer as well? It would be a good idea because the beaver tail wouldn't be too steep for the cattle, hydraulic ramp all the way across the back no danger of cattle pushing back at you then at all

David Sheehan Shinrone 0505 47375 makes a handy trailer single wheel out side of body, low floor suitable for short small loads , used to make a lot of tandem axle silage ,cattle and bale trailers .

The same type of trailer that's commonly known as a "Ronnie Ridgeway "?
An awful lot easier to load cattle into a lower trailer. I haven't used the tractor cattle trailer since I bought an Ifor Williams. No bother to load stock now.

+1 there @jf 850 A low trailer is easier on man and beast especially now when help is scarce.
The likes of the Joskin or Rollant with doors look handy .
One thing to consider, the Joskin is only 7' wide and the Rollant is probably similar.

I think mainly it will be used moving cows from their home farm to our outfarm @ithastopay which is approximately 6 miles away. The point you made with regard to the doors is one I hadn't thought of, and the wheel well looks to take up a bit of space inside the body. It's still expensive enough at 12k + vat, although I know they are very well built.

What would the resale value of the likes of the Joskin be like? There wouldn't be too many keen on them.

My cousin called around a few places today.
Tried Larry Byrne several times with no call back. Broughan are 13K, a little over his budget but might be worth a look.
Alan in A&W is going to price up putting in a stronger chassis and cross members, as in fairness to his trailers they are very well finished with regards to welds and paint.
I think he also called Lynchs too.

Last edited:
Seamus Coonan makes a fine cattle trailer.
S&M.
0505 43186.
He'd certainly be the first one I'd call if I wanted a trailer made, whether he'd compete on price with the other names mentioned is a different story but you get what you pay for.

He'd certainly be the first one I'd call if I wanted a trailer made, whether he'd compete on price with the other names mentioned is a different story but you get what you pay for.

He certainly worth a ring. He's not the friendliest fella in the world but he makes good stuff.

I think Ronnie packed up working , and another man who made a lot of them died in tragic circumstances.

They don't lower do they?
Rules over here are that you have to have a ramp if the step is more than X amount. Fairly sure youd be buggered with them.
Plus you must have some form of roof for some reason!

I think Ronnie packed up working , and another man who made a lot of them died in tragic circumstances.
is ronnie still alive ?, i bought the first tipping trailer we had from him a good few years ago now :unsure: a s/h looby 12x7

Skimmer, (you may have said already), did your cousin try Lynch's? They have a trailer like he wants in their Journal ad this week. It's the only one that they have in stock apparently and it might be keenly priced as a result before year end??

On those Ridgeways, those kind of taildoors are quite dangerous, I know of at least two lads that were knocked out when they got a shot of one of those loading stock. And they were only with small Dooley type 8x5 trailers.....

Skimmer, (you may have said already), did your cousin try Lynch's? They have a trailer like he wants in their Journal ad this week. It's the only one that they have in stock apparently and it might be keenly priced as a result before year end??

On those Ridgeways, those kind of taildoors are quite dangerous, I know of at least two lads that were knocked out when they got a shot of one of those loading stock. And they were only with small Dooley type 8x5 trailers.....
Id never let a yoke with a side hinged door in the place again, Dad was lucky shutting the door of the 8*4 cattle box we used to have one day, bullock kicked out and left a bulge in the door about 2inches out from the rest of it and the door swung back and sent him flying, don’t know how he didn’t break his leg in 2, it certainly turned black with the bruising.

Thanks for all the advice lads. My cousin looked in here and rang around most of the trailer builders you advised.
I'm fairly certain he is going with the A&W trailer in Fenagh. Alan will put a 200mm chassis and 80x40 cross members under it for an extra €100, and they are a very well finished trailer. They had a used one in up there 2 years old and there was not a speck of rust on it anywhere. I'll get some pics up of a 20' they finished last week.
Thanks for all the input lads!:Thumbp2:

Back