Aphids

C

Cork

Anyone finding aphids in spring barley?

Haven't seen any yet but maybe need to look more.

Some sprayed on Friday but more to do.

Found 1 or 2 in very warm sheltered fields, I taught I would have seen more actually. I've the karate got ready to go but damp and misty here since yesterday morning so no chance yet. Tricky weather to get anything done.

Found 1 or 2 in very warm sheltered fields, I taught I would have seen more actually. I've the karate got ready to go but damp and misty here since yesterday morning so no chance yet. Tricky weather to get anything done.

Karate? Tut tut, you should be using Sumi Alpha. :thumbup:

Best persistence and safer for non target species.

Can't get any cork, it can't be got at the moment unless its in stock since last year. I taught it is equally as good if not better for persistance and the least effected to the resistance issue.

Can't get any cork, it can't be got at the moment unless its in stock since last year. I taught it is equally as good if not better for persistance and the least effected to the resistance issue.

Plenty of Sumi alpha available via Goldcrop!

Was walking all my Spring barley on Friday evening and no sign of aphids, saw a few ladybirds and i hate the thoughts of spraying and killing ladybirds but going by the weather forecast today it might be a while before we get a spray day.

Mid March sown barley needs a weed spray now and see wireworm attacking a 1 acre corner of one field.

Was walking all my Spring barley on Friday evening and no sign of aphids, saw a few ladybirds and i hate the thoughts of spraying and killing ladybirds but going by the weather forecast today it might be a while before we get a spray day.

Mid March sown barley needs a weed spray now and see wireworm attacking a 1 acre corner of one field.

Are you sure its Wireworm? Leatherjackets would be much more common.

2nd Lea?

Did a bit of digging with my penknife on Friday evening and found the little wireworm. Field is in corn three years now and was affected all three years. But not as bad as the years go on. Know they have a four year worm stage before they turn into click beetle.

So would you guys still put out a aphid spray if crop was clean with ladybirds present?

Did a bit of digging with my penknife on Friday evening and found the little wireworm. Field is in corn three years now and was affected all three years. But not as bad as the years go on. Know they have a four year worm stage before they turn into click beetle.

So would you guys still put out a aphid spray if crop was clean with ladybirds present?

Fair enough, you know your enemy!

I wouldn't rely on ladybirds myself for aphid control....

Might be worth looking into the safest aphicide you can find, Aphox supposed to be safe for bees?

Fair enough, you know your enemy!

I wouldn't rely on ladybirds myself for aphid control....

Might be worth looking into the safest aphicide you can find, Aphox supposed to be safe for bees?

But if there's little or no aphids why would you spray for them?

They are so small it's often very hard to find them, with all the later than normal sowings the chance of bydv is far higher as the season goes on. Their control is very cheap And I have seen the damage bydv can cause so its the first thing I would have in the tank for spring cereals. Mild calm weather is conducive to them so that's the type of weather we have had.

If you are sitting at the dinner table does not mean your dinner is still there :lol::lol:

Very true but there may be more food than my appetite can handle! (rarely happens - my lack of appetite that is!)...

You need to look closely at the leaves of the young barley. Look at it when weather is warm as they go ahide when its raining. Sun behind the leaves will make it easier.

Best response according to trials comes from a single aphicide at GS14 (4 leaves emerged). Barley should be out of risk once its tillering well.

Back