At the mart...

Nice quality 18 month birthday continentals are scarce in enniscorthy and a couple of very good buyers. The pens with the letters mon and the bollix with the quarries checkbook!

Nice quality 18 month birthday continentals are scarce in enniscorthy and a couple of very good buyers. The pens with the letters mon and the bollix with the quarries checkbook!

Sounds like someone has had a bidding war with the man with the cap and green coat!!!

Always found marts slow to get going after Christmas but good cattle like those will whet many appetites.

But like so many things in the beef trade at the moment that could be all turned up in the air as well.

That is out so, for early January, going to Mamma the first week and unavailable the second week.

To be honest with you, I don't think it matters where you go with them. Good quality sucker stock like those are a rare commodity now in the south east so there will be plenty of demand for them IMV.

Well they were sold today, not a good trade, not helped by Fred's sister inlaw being buried today, may she rest in peace.
Whiteheads weighed 668kg and made €1205.
BBxFr weighed 682kg made €1400.
Lmxfr weighed 635kg made €1180.
Best Ch weighed 764kg made €1600.
Happy with all above.
The majority of the rest were OK, but disappointed with the following few.
Ch weighed 704kg made €1380.
Youngest Ch weighed 560kg made 1200.

Shocking trade for calves here this week,only good was an angus bull made £240,my Fleckvieh Bulls were robbed at £80 and £90 .:tdown:

Well they were sold today, not a good trade, not helped by Fred's sister inlaw being buried today, may she rest in peace.
Happy with all above.

Fred's son in law ? was in Roscrea at the heifer fatstock show and sale yesterday.
I sold 8 Lm heifers in the ordinary sale. I didn't go back in to the Mart until 2.30 , and my own cattle weren't sold until after 4 , and there was the guts of an hours selling after that. So I avoided seeing any of the fatstock blowing and showing.
My own heifers.
Red Lm 4/17 505 kg €1280. Red Lm 465 kg 5/17 €1050. 3 x black Lm 2 and 3/17 475 kg €1040. 3 x black Lm 3 and 4 17 441 kg €990.
Prices were better than I had been led to believe they might be.

Fred's son in law ? was in Roscrea at the heifer fatstock show and sale yesterday.
I sold 8 Lm heifers in the ordinary sale. I didn't go back in to the Mart until 2.30 , and my own cattle weren't sold until after 4 , and there was the guts of an hours selling after that. So I avoided seeing any of the fatstock blowing and showing.
My own heifers.
Red Lm 4/17 505 kg €1280. Red Lm 465 kg 5/17 €1050. 3 x black Lm 2 and 3/17 475 kg €1040. 3 x black Lm 3 and 4 17 441 kg €990.
Probably Fred's nephew, not directly related to the deceased woman, he was in Carnew today, but it can help when Tommy or Fred is there as well.

Happy with all above.

Very good price there for the Limo.

They were heavier than I thought I must admit.

Probably Fred's nephew, not directly related to the deceased woman, he was in Carnew today, but it can help when Tommy or Fred is there as well.

When I had sheep , this lad came to Roscrea every week. Used to always have a ciggy in hand , i see he has moved onto electric job now. Early to mid 50s ?

My own heifers.

That's not too bad of prices. With all of the talk, I had expected prices to be much worse this week. But it appears to have stayed steady from last year.
I was looking at some mart reports online from yesterday and it appeared that a good quality animal was a good price. Hopefully it will remain that way for us until people start buying for grass.
On the other hand I stuck my head into mohill mart yesterday. It was very small. What struck me was the dairy bred calves. 2 ch heifers 400kg and they couldn't open them at €600. Good strong buying for anything suckler bred.

First day at the mart in a while, any Friesans were a very poor trade even 300kg yearlings, tops were bid to around 1.40.

Good cattle making good money. Saw a nice bunch of LIM suckler weanlings bulls around 300kgs made over 800 :scratchhead:

First day at the mart in a while, any Friesans were a very poor trade even 300kg yearlings, tops were bid to around 1.40.

Good cattle making good money. Saw a nice bunch of LIM suckler weanlings bulls around 300kgs made over 800 :scratchhead:
I heard that Teagasc did some research on beef production lately, as I said I haven’t seen it I only heard about it second hand (maybe someone here has seen it).
Anyway the findings were that it takes 40% more feed to produce the same amount of beef from AA or Hereford cross Friesans than suckler continentals. I would imagine that the Friesans cross would be a fair bit better than the purebred Freisans.

I know someone who was finishing batch of cattle a few years ago. They were a mix of suckler LMs and Friesans , all bulls and all around the same age. The Freisans were ready first and when they were taken out he discovered that the Freisans were eating nearly twice as much ration as the LMs even though they were a smaller in size.They were being feed more or less ad-lib. I would know the same man well and he would quiet accurate in what he in what he would tell you.

Last edited:
I heard that Teagasc did some research on beef production lately, as I said I haven’t seen it I only heard about it second hand (maybe someone here has seen it).
Anyway the findings were that it takes 40% more feed to produce the same amount of beef from AA or Hereford cross Friesans than suckler continentals. I would imagine that the Friesans cross would be a fair bit better than the purebred Freisans.

I know someone who was finishing batch of cattle a few years ago. They were a mix of suckler LMs and Friesans , all bulls and all around the same age. The Freisans were ready first and when they were taken out he discovered that the Freisans were eating nearly twice as much ration as the LMs even though they were a smaller in size.They were being feed more or less ad-lib. I would know the same man well and he would quiet accurate in what he in what he would tell you.

Interesting.
You'd think that's the kind of study that would have been done long ago.
I wonder how that would be constituted in feed terms? Let's say purely for convenient from figures that it costs 500 between silage and meal to feed a CH bullock to finish. Then, by the figure above, the fr bullock would cost 750 euro. That 250 could be double the margin on him some years. I can't see it being true.

Very few of the teagasc reports are accurate. They have tried to cost keeping a suckler cow per year on their better farm project. Its the most inaccurate project in the history of agriculture in the state. Their figures are plucked from the sky just to give figures. They are no reflection of what's actually happening on the farm.

A man I would trust said on his analysis from indoor feeding, that fresians will eat 12% more and there DWG would be 14% less than continentals. he finishes mostly fresians

Interesting.
You'd think that's the kind of study that would have been done long ago.
I wonder how that would be constituted in feed terms? Let's say purely for convenient from figures that it costs 500 between silage and meal to feed a CH bullock to finish. Then, by the figure above, the fr bullock would cost 750 euro. That 250 could be double the margin on him some years. I can't see it being true.

Very few of the teagasc reports are accurate. They have tried to cost keeping a suckler cow per year on their better farm project. Its the most inaccurate project in the history of agriculture in the state. Their figures are plucked from the sky just to give figures. They are no reflection of what's actually happening on the farm.
I have seen allot of data from different sires of one breed, the difference is DLWG is staggering.

I have seen allot of data from different sires of one breed, the difference is DLWG is staggering.
I can show you accurate DWG for our herd from the slaughter reports on icbf. The most recent report that we received shows that males off our shorthorn bull outperformed males off our CH bull by a good bit for DWG and were on a par for kill out weights and grades. 90% of the shorthorns were u grade. Continentals aren't always the best.

Back