Calf rearing shed designs

Discussion in 'Stock Talk' started by FIAT 450, Jun 22, 2020.

1. FIAT 450

FIAT 450 Well-Known Member

Well lads. We have a shed here that we are planning on repurposing from a meal shed to a calf shed next year. It is 2 round roof sheds joined side by side approximately 3 spans long X 3 wide with two centre spans lattice beamed. The plan was to have a automatic calf feeder under which was a small tank to collect waste water and some individual calf hutches and also have trough space for when they progress from milk to tmr feeding. Looking for ideas on lay out from guys even pictures of their own set ups especially paying attention to air flow. All walls in the shed as is will have to come out along with the floor to get falls right. Plan to rear 40 odd calf's.

2. lough

lough Well-Known Member

If yo have a look in the buildings section on agriland there is a couple of calf sheds on there with photos

FIAT 450 likes this.
  3. FIAT 450

Thanks @lough will give it a gander at breakfast.

4. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

All our calves are in hutches under a roof,I don’t bother about walls just the roof keeps things drier where they feed.

Had an expert here from Holland last year,in the house he was telling us no need for a roof over hutches,once he’d been outside he could understand why we had roofs.:lol:

5. FIAT 450

On the hutches do they add much more work onto your day and I know it all comes back to the dreaded snow how did they work out then?
    Always open to different ideas just I have to set things up to allow it to be as little labour as possible

6. scoffcruddle

We had an automated feeder and we hated it,we just didn’t get on well with it,went back to the hutches and then a milk taxi,my mrs said it revolutionised calf feeding.

The next thing I’d like is a bale on a monorail platform for bedding,for now we’ve had the kids bed down the calves since lockdown,it hasn’t done them any harm.:lol:

Calves were fine when we had snow in hutches,it isn’t unusual to see calves sat outside the hutch in -5 or colder,we do however use calf jackets on every calf,used them till June this year.

7. lough

lough Well-Known Member

8. Mf240

Mf240 Well-Known Member

Does anyone use those sheep hurdles to make smaller pens for the first few weeks

9. scoffcruddle

I’ve 5 igloos,only ever used them for weaned calves,no reason fiat450 couldn’t use a couple facing into his shed,well if he has the room.

10. FIAT 450

Sorry lads i shouldn't have said hutches more individual pens for seven days. We are in the johnes scheme and the vet is going on about it. I just think it's more work than anything.

11. Coomoo

Coomoo New Member

Automatic feeder going here. Hutches coming and eventually milk taxi.

12. scoffcruddle

I use ibc cages and tanks for small pens,also use sheep hurdles for the pen on some of my hutches.

13. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

Worth looking at this .
    He gave a talk to rep`s in the calf house in work last year . Pointed out the flaws in the calf that he thought were causing the problem`s they were having . Forced ventilation is key for him calves dont create enough heat to drive out the stale air out of the shed . And bed the entire pen no concrete area at the front of the bedded area . Will try and find the link to more info that he gave us .

FIAT 450 and scoffcruddle like this.
  14. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

15. slurryboy

slurryboy Well-Known Member

When we put ours up we were advised if going for forced ventilation then you want to force air out rather than in. Haven't gone down the forced route though, just opening flaps along the sides there's a link to a pic on here on the automatic calf feeder thread iirc

massey 6480 likes this.