Car Tyres

Discussion in 'On and off road' started by candor, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

Toyota corolla user here, car is changed every 3-4 years and usually one tyre change in that time, Michelin are the OE tyre and have replaced with same doing about 60,000 km per set, last time out the replacements were the worst Michelin ever as they were always dropping pressure as if they were slightly porous but would show no leaks when tested, will be going with Goodyears when the current car needs a new set, it's Michelins are currently at 43,000km.

ithastopay likes this.
  2. Crystal 8011

Crystal 8011 Active Member

I've a golf and can't keep tyres under the front of it, but it dont matter if tyres are premium or cheap they dont last.
    Michellin - 15000km
    Infinity - 22000km
    Continental - 17000km
    Currently on Bf goodrich 21000km done and about 50% left.

3. marco

marco Well-Known Member

I go with budget on the octavia vrs. There are so many potholes here during winter that I can honestly say I have never worn out a set of tyres despite having put 150k on it. I bought it with a new set of dunlops on.

CORK likes this.
  4. drew

drew Well-Known Member

Got over 20k miles out of a set of Toyo proxies T-1R’s (known to be soft enough on wear but grippy) on the front of the mk6 and the rears are still near 50% at that but I never bothered swapping them. I’d have got more out of the fronts but I think I was running them a bit softer than they needed, the edges were gone but the centres were reasonable. Have firestone firekawks on the front now. I had a full set of them on the mk4 arl 150 and think I swapped them around 18k and they were still on it when I shifted it with heading for 30k miles on the set.

It’s funny I don’t like Firestone’s on tractors at all but get on well with them on the car, seem to grip well right the way through, are good in the wet and last well too.

Crystal 8011 and gone like this.
  5. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

a heavy foot in a front wheel drive car will burn them off.

CORK, drew and Crystal 8011 like this.
  6. drew

drew Well-Known Member

Add a diesel carrying a bit extra weight on the fronts doesn’t help either!

7. Knickam

Knickam Well-Known Member

Yep, Its all down to the way you drive, Wifes car has done 38000 miles and still 3mm on all tyres.
    Don't think I have ever reached 20000 in any of my cars:rolleyes2:

8. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Work car here is leased through leaseplan in Dublin.

I’m sure some of it is down to pricing but they only use Goodyear/Dunlop (seem to be the same company) on all their cars and this has been the case with a number of years.
    They keep a very close eye on mileages (for obvious reasons) but it’s a sign that they can’t be a bad brand.