DIY Calving Camera?

Well mucky r u still chuffed with ur diy camera set up? Looks to be a super job. Have u been accessing them often and how how much data does it use? I am seriously considering same set up to swap between calving shed and lambing shed. Was it easy set up any much hiccups.
Tia

Well mucky r u still chuffed with ur diy camera set up? Looks to be a super job. Have u been accessing them often and how how much data does it use? I am seriously considering same set up to swap between calving shed and lambing shed. Was it easy set up any much hiccups.
Tia

It's working perfect with just 1 hitch this last 2 months. When we top up the wifi, the camera remains connected but the dongle won't broadcast a WiFi signal. I can't even get WiFi on my phone. It's the fault of the dongle. I have been on to Vodafone a few times and they have been easy to deal with but their solution is reset it remotely which works for a little while but it goes off again. However I have found the solution which has worked for me since the last top up and that is to reset it by removing the sim card from it for 10 minutes. This resets it. So I'll do this on top up. It's not a big deal. But it might be worth looking at another provider if they have service in your area.
The camera itself is a great job and very easy to set up. It used 2.5gb of data in November. That's checking it 2 or 3 times per day for 5 minutes at a time.

Thanks for prompt reply will prob wait till after xmas rush now to get buying kit. Unlimited data prob safest option on wifi. Calvin pen is a lean too of slatted shed and prob only 9ft at highest but am sure play around with positioning will c which corner best suits. Thanks for ur honest replys.

Thanks for prompt reply will prob wait till after xmas rush now to get buying kit. Unlimited data prob safest option on wifi. Calvin pen is a lean too of slatted shed and prob only 9ft at highest but am sure play around with positioning will c which corner best suits. Thanks for ur honest replys.

Vodafone is 7.5gb of data per month. I think we used 4 for the first month. Unlimited data would be expensive.

Wonder is it possible to get similar camera that can put broadband sim directly into so only have to plug camera in and away u go??

Wonder is it possible to get similar camera that can put broadband sim directly into so only have to plug camera in and away u go??
I have seen people mention on other media that it is possible to get such a camera. I have found one online, but it does not have pan and tilt facilities meaning that it is limited on the area that it can cover and not suitable for what I am looking for.

An update on this.
Credit where it is due. Last week my camera did not work 9 out of 10 times that I checked it. I got onto vodafone and they were very keen to get it right for me. We are only 750 meters from the vodafone mast so signal is definitely very strong. They did resets and updates and when none of that worked, they sent me to my local vodafone shop who had a brand new dongle waiting for me on friday. Even with that, it was still intermittant, so they gave me a whole new sim with a new number last friday. Since that it's been perfect. Sometimes when I open the app, the connection isn't there and it's just as simple as sliding the app down to refresh the connection it and it always connects. Getting closer to calving, it gives us peace of mind!

Fair play Vodafone - it's not always you can say that about phone companies.

I have been thinking about a calving camera for while. After reading your thread @muckymanor i went with the same system. Fitted one of the cameras yesterday evening. Am delighted with it. The shed is only 600m from my house but it gives extra piece of mind. Plus it came in handy this morning to be able to check on them to be able to check on them while I was minding my daughter at the house. Will set up second camera in second smaller shed that we sometimes put heifers into. Brilliant value compared to what some companies were charging.

Getting the hang of this camera now. Last week we were checking the cattle on it at 9pm and we spotted a strange car at the house and people looking into the jeep of the lad that rents the house from us. They went around the house too but met the dog and took off pretty fast. Yesterday we sent the screens shots to the guards who were interested in the car registration in relation to an incident locally.

We have figured the zoom too. Now we can read the tag numbers. It's going to be a great tool at calving time.

Screenshot_20180103-202849.png
Screenshot_20180103-202555.png

Cattle all happy. Camera hasn't missed a beat recently. Vodafone replaced the dongle for us just after Christmas and it's never offline. Planning to set up a camera in the calving pens at home in the next few weeks. It will be a cheaper model. With only 3 pens to monitor I won't be spending the extra money for the zoom facility. A 50 euro camera will be sufficient and it will work on the same app as I am already using.

Screenshot_20180116-105305.png
Screenshot_20180116-105222.png

I use Foscam cam, very good zoom in can see a ewe lambing in detail at over 40feet away, not as vital for cows

you camera probably has a static ip pre loaded, but if needed you can create up to 3 free host names here just by verifying once a month
https://www.noip.com/

Hi, I am wondering what you mean when you say 3 free host names? Does this mean that 3 seperate devices can login to the camaras to see the image? As myself and my father woulkd both need access.

Hi, I am wondering what you mean when you say 3 free host names? Does this mean that 3 seperate devices can login to the camaras to see the image? As myself and my father woulkd both need access.

any body that has internet access and a viewing app can log into the cam anywhere in the world, all they need is the cam's host name ( or ip ad.) , port no. username and password.

I don't have a static ip so I assign a host name to each cam, this prevents me being logged out

( sorry not very tech savvy, so most likely not explaining it too well)

Last edited:
The Sricam camera that I showed above is out of stock currently in Ireland and the UK. I could buy it direct from China, but I'd prefer to buy from a place that would offer me a warranty. And I hate getting stung by customs when I buy from China. I'm looking at buying a pretty similar type of camera for my shed at home which is manufactured by a company called KKmoon. A lot of reviews on it say that they are a well made basic camera that is easy to install. Just waiting for confirmation from the seller that it can be set up over wifi and i will pay for it.

The Sricam camera that I showed above is out of stock currently in Ireland and the UK. I could buy it direct from China, but I'd prefer to buy from a place that would offer me a warranty. And I hate getting stung by customs when I buy from China. I'm looking at buying a pretty similar type of camera for my shed at home which is manufactured by a company called KKmoon. A lot of reviews on it say that they are a well made basic camera that is easy to install. Just waiting for confirmation from the seller that it can be set up over wifi and i will pay for it.

I've just looked and the sricam is available https://www.ebay.ie/itm/272826462496?ul_noapp=true

Camera system just paid for itself today. Spotted this lady who I thought was a week from her time with a water bag out at 3.30pm. My helper moved her out to the calving pen and the father in law saw her calve on the iPad at 5.30pm and has been watching over her every few minutes till she cleaned and now he is up and sucking. Modern technology at its best.

Screenshot_20180208-194305.png

Mucky am up an running a week now n lambin shed and am really happy with it. Simple enough to set up and clear viewing. Tuned in parents ipad to it on Sunday. Yesterday couldn't log n to camera tellin me camera offline but when n shed and on its own wifi would work. Reset wifi and got up an running again. Would u hav any idea what cause that as don't want It to happen when set up n Calvin shed. Also wondering what registering on noip does? Thanks again.

Mucky am up an running a week now n lambin shed and am really happy with it. Simple enough to set up and clear viewing. Tuned in parents ipad to it on Sunday. Yesterday couldn't log n to camera tellin me camera offline but when n shed and on its own wifi would work. Reset wifi and got up an running again. Would u hav any idea what cause that as don't want It to happen when set up n Calvin shed. Also wondering what registering on noip does? Thanks again.
If it’s a setup like the start of this thread registering on no-ip would stop the camera dropping on you like it did.
Basically your ip address changes every so often but no-ip keeps track of it and constantly updates the address and basically redirects you to the current address.

If it’s a setup like the start of this thread registering on no-ip would stop the camera dropping on you like it did.
Basically your ip address changes every so often but no-ip keeps track of it and constantly updates the address and basically redirects you to the current address.
Sorry for stupid questions but how do I find hostname to register with noip?

Quick question for some of the more tech savvy members than myself. Thinking of setting up calving camera here due to work etc. House is roughly 150m from shed and have broadband in the house. Is there a way to run a cable to the house direct from camera and broadcast from there? so there is only a setup cost and no monthly data charges etc as phone coverage can be an issue at times. Can the normal household wifi router do this or is a different setup needed to transmit to a website/app. Or is this alot more work than it is worth and a dongle and sim setup is a better option?

Back