dowdswell plough worth?

rs8

friend has a 5 furrow dowdswell plough in ok condition (its getting on in years) bit of welding done to it!! does anyone have an idea what to be looking for it money wise? cheers

If not auto reset its worth scrap value. Many came over from UK without springs.
Otherwise depends on wearing metal and quality of welds,straightness etc.
If its a DP8 A its good for nowt. If DP8B average condition €1000 to. €1500 , if a DP7 possibly €2500 if you're lucky.
They were never popular here and will be a hard sell.

If not auto reset its worth scrap value. Many came over from UK without springs.
Otherwise depends on wearing metal and quality of welds,straightness etc.
If its a DP8 A its good for nowt. If DP8B average condition €1000 to. €1500 , if a DP7 possibly €2500 if you're lucky.
They were never popular here and will be a hard sell.

I'm not so sure if auto reset is all it is cracked up to be.

We have a non auto reset KV conv and ploughed stoney ground with it, just a matter of being carefull.

I will say if you are a contractor then yes I agree, it is all about knowing your ground.

The one problem with these is most don't have a full set of skimmers and discs and instead only have a rear set. They are hard to get with springs too.

If you have a DP 8B in 3 + 1 format at that kind of money, I'll take it :cool:

DP 8 A was a 2 +1 if I remember rightly.

As I said it depends on the spec of your plough.

DP8A- 2+1+1 light construction plough with pathetic sliding headstock similar to a KV design

DP8B- 2+1+1+1 light construction with conventional dowdeswell style headstock and hyd front furrow adjustement

Early DP7, 3-5 furrows, heavy type plough with positive type turnover ram on front of headstock and non damped depth wheel

Late DP7, 4-6 furrows heavier than early DP7 with turnover ram on back of headstock, hyd front furrow adjustment and damped depth wheel

all ploughs mostly specified with either UCN (general purpose) or SCN (deep digger) boards, and usually on 14" furrow width

DP8A- 2+1+1 light construction plough with pathetic sliding headstock similar to a KV design

DP8B- 2+1+1+1 light construction with conventional dowdeswell style headstock and hyd front furrow adjustement

Early DP7, 3-5 furrows, heavy type plough with positive type turnover ram on front of headstock and non damped depth wheel

Late DP7, 4-6 furrows heavier than early DP7 with turnover ram on back of headstock, hyd front furrow adjustment and damped depth wheel

all ploughs mostly specified with either UCN (general purpose) or SCN (deep digger) boards, and usually on 14" furrow width

You are not looking for a cheap plough now John :confused::whistle::lol:

UCN and SCN were also Ransomes boards :confused:

You are not looking for a cheap plough now John :confused::whistle::lol:

UCN and SCN were also Ransomes boards :confused:

looking for one yes, but logistics of getting it across the water would make in not so cheap

dowdeswell always used ransomes wearing parts until they bought out their own design of boards, namely the DD and DDS bodies

was after a DP8, but afraid the steriod fed 1594 may give that light headstock a bit of a hard time, so looking at late DP7s now

looking for one yes, but logistics of getting it across the water would make in not so cheap

dowdeswell always used ransomes wearing parts until they bought out their own design of boards, namely the DD and DDS bodies

was after a DP8, but afraid the steriod fed 1594 may give that light headstock a bit of a hard time, so looking at late DP7s now

The DP 7 though is a bit longer and will the 1594 be up to that - you will be back to a 4f anyway.

In fairness to Dowdeswell, they did revolutionise the ploughing scene in the UK.

this is the DP7 e i borrowed 3 years ago, and what convinced me a dowdeswell is perfect on our land

note the weights stuck out on the front links to balnce her up, as this DP7 was long clearnace and could have a full set of discs installed if needed

and the depth im ploughing at ;)

Attachments

• 135943_1251218536154_298597_o.jpg
    135943_1251218536154_298597_o.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 56
this is the DP7 e i borrowed 3 years ago, and what convinced me a dowdeswell is perfect on our land

note the weights stuck out on the front links to balnce her up, as this DP7 was long clearnace and could have a full set of discs installed if needed

and the depth im ploughing at ;)

You are only telling us it is an e when really it is a D :whistle::lol:

I won't say anything about the job as this is not another KV bashing thread.

I don't think these ploughs took off in Ireland as they were mainly non sprung and most were on conventional ploughs till the late 80's/early 90's.

You are only telling us it is an e when really it is a D :whistle::lol:

I won't say anything about the job as this is not another KV bashing thread.

I don't think these ploughs took off in Ireland as they were mainly non sprung and most were on conventional ploughs till the late 80's/early 90's.

and the wearing parts were expensive compared to KV as well

ransomes never did well over your side of the water either tbh

im sure it was an E?? It was a 4+1 but i knocked the back furrow off when i had it

think the D was turnover ram on the front?

and the wearing parts were expensive compared to KV as well

ransomes never did well over your side of the water either tbh

im sure it was an E?? It was a 4+1 but i knocked the back furrow off when i had it

think the D was turnover ram on the front?

I wouldn't say that John about Ransomes, I suppose KV came along and were a bit better and next thing monopoly.

I know of several Ransomes ploughs around but all like ours are getting thin on wearing metal.

I am not a Dowdy geek :lol::cool:

Have an old Ransomes reversible im looking into remetalling,to an extent.
Probably going with shares,wings and shins.Been looking around the net a bit and Malpasonline seem to be good on price.Has anyone got plough parts off them? Are they good quality parts?
Another thing is the shares,I believe Dowdeswell reversible shares can be used on the Ransomes.Im just wondering do they bolt straight down onto the Frog or is a spacer plate needed.I've looked on the net and it seems i may need a different wing to use with the reversible share.....

What boards has your Ransomes got? That probably determines everything else.

scn/ucn would maybe go, they would originally have the 3 bolt hole point on what bolts on the side of the frog as well as the top.

would mean changing the point, wing and possibly the landslide to make it go, as the original ransomes point butts up to the ransomes landslide, it may work without it however

So John, are you saying that Dowdeswell SCN is different to the Ransones version?

shouldnt be, ive heard of it done, like i said its just a case of the wing/point is completely different, the wing is the full lenght of the frog and the flat reversible dowdy point sits on top of it

the ransomes point fits round the tip of the frog and bolts on the side of the frog as well as the top iygwim, with the wing mating up next to it flush

I don't know what boards i've got.Would it be stamped on them? Where?
@John1594:Theres plenty of life left in the landslides,so if theres a fitment issue,would skinny disc on grinder sort the problem? I've gotten bits for the plough before and they were close,but did'nt fit and the grinder sorted the problem,not ideal i know.
It looks to me that the reversible share/point would rise the clay a bit,saving wear on the shin,and thats why i want to use dowdeswell.Mightnt scour as well though....
The reversible points have 2 holes,but theres only one hole on the top of my frogs.I doubt one bolt would do,so does the other bolt just attach the point to the wing?
Thanks Lads for the Help.

pretty sure that as you say, the wing is a larger item with a sort of "point" at its end, this bolts on to the existing holes in the frog, with one bolt hole at the far end which takes a longer bolt which sandwiches the wing between the rev point and the frog, with a smaller bolt in the other hole of the point, simply bolted to the wing

I don't know what boards i've got.Would it be stamped on them? Where?
@John1594:Theres plenty of life left in the landslides,so if theres a fitment issue,would skinny disc on grinder sort the problem? I've gotten bits for the plough before and they were close,but did'nt fit and the grinder sorted the problem,not ideal i know.
It looks to me that the reversible share/point would rise the clay a bit,saving wear on the shin,and thats why i want to use dowdeswell.Mightnt scour as well though....
The reversible points have 2 holes,but theres only one hole on the top of my frogs.I doubt one bolt would do,so does the other bolt just attach the point to the wing?
Thanks Lads for the Help.

do you use the shoe type points now?
and are they the large or small type?

Newsal, if the plough doesn't really suit your needs would you be as well off cut your losses and get rid rather than spend money on it :confused:

Back