Factory Prices General thread

nashmach

Given that we have a Mart prices thread which contains lots of useful information, and often delves into factory talk, I thought it might be useful to try and seperate the two if we can.

So we'll give this a shot for now.

I notice the factory league tables have been published in the Journal this week, haven't analysed them yet myself.

Given that we have a Mart prices thread which contains lots of useful information, and often delves into factory talk, I thought it might be useful to try and seperate the two if we can.

I notice the factory league tables have been published in the Journal this week, haven't analysed them yet myself.
Good idea nash. Surprising the difference there can be between them sometimes

I was only thinking of posting this today but felt it might be lads own business what deals they were getting, haven't read the journal article yet but was enquiring about getting a few cattle away next week, usual reply from ABP, " no price for next week 'till Friday at the soonest and we have plenty of cattle and in the same breath they are only killing 2 maybe 3 days next week" , base €3.85 this week, €100 + wiped off a finished bullock since brexit.. same old don't sell crap coming from the "reformed" IFA , there ain't a cent of levy coming off my cattle this year.

I know exactly where you are coming from Arthur on the prices and the thought did strike me too.

It's up to posters to say what they wish but sure no harm in saying the base price is X like you did and then keep anything else to themselves.

Factories havnt had the best of years so far and that to me is very worrying. The 15c-20c cut over the last while is just a currency shift. I'm told cattle traded much higher over the last few days in the UK but I can't quantify this. 3.70 was what I have pencilled in for the backend since the start of the year. I was talking to a well informed lad that finishes allot of cattle and he is of the opinion of 3.50 - 3.70 :cry:. I actually don't think it's going to be as bad a year as I taught. Cattle are thriving on grass very well and this is the important thing. I wouldn't be overly bothered with small price fall at this time of the year. We were getting the same price last January and cattle costing over €3 a day indoors

Last edited:
I have spent some time looking at those tables in the Journal this week and barring the U grades, P grades, cows and young bulls I reckon the rest are only about as useful as toilet paper.

It's very easy for the likes of ABP to feature highly in these given their preferred choice of AA and HE which they are paying 10c+ /kg bonuses on.

ABP are not alone in this, you can also add other factories too but they are the most prominent in highlighting AA and HE schemes.

I have spent some time looking at those tables in the Journal this week and barring the U grades, P grades, cows and young bulls I reckon the rest are only about as useful as toilet paper.

It's very easy for the likes of ABP to feature highly in these given their preferred choice of AA and HE which they are paying 10c+ /kg bonuses on.

ABP are not alone in this, you can also add other factories too but they are the most prominent in highlighting AA and HE schemes.
They are the ones with the supermarket contracts to supply the AA and HE cuts, ABP Cahir can kill its weekly requirement in 2-3 days including cows and organic, it takes 600 employees the full week to process and package the kill, while the weekly kill is around the 30,000 mark there will be only downward pressure on price as there will be sufficient numbers available to meet market demand.

Agriland seems to be quoting 385c/kg this week, as in the factories are driving the price cuts through...:no:

They are the ones with the supermarket contracts to supply the AA and HE cuts, ABP Cahir can kill its weekly requirement in 2-3 days including cows and organic, it takes 600 employees the full week to process and package the kill, while the weekly kill is around the 30,000 mark there will be only downward pressure on price as there will be sufficient numbers available to meet market demand.

But they have a lovely new entrance, and somebody has to pay for that...

But they have a lovely new entrance, and somebody has to pay for that...
I'm sure the load I sent in are helping in some small way, killed out avg weight of 387.55kg, from a base of €3.85/ kg ended with an avg of €3.93 when QA was added and the two that failed to qualify, one at -6cent and another at - 36cent, fat ba$tard...

I'm sure the load I sent in are helping in some small way, killed out avg weight of 387.55kg, from a base of €3.85/ kg ended with an avg of €3.93 when QA was added and the two that failed to qualify, one at -6cent and another at - 36cent, fat ba$tard...

Did you think that the over fat lad was over fat Arthur?

Actually reminds me of a query that I have, have a 'steer' here who seems to have some of his vital parts remaining, im guessing I'm looking at bull price for him.so?

Actually reminds me of a query that I have, have a 'steer' here who seems to have some of his vital parts remaining, im guessing I'm looking at bull price for him.so?
He was one of 3 SPX that came out of Castleisland mart, they all stayed small, the other 2 graded OK as in R's but one was a fat score of 4+, this boyo was an O+5- but didn't look any different to the rest. luck of the draw with the bullish lad, has he a stone left and obviously bullish, I had a lad in the load with a real bull head on him, huge for his age and showing a rod occasionally but behaving normally otherwise, got full whack for him @ 437kg.:Thumbp2:

He was one of 3 SPX that came out of Castleisland mart, they all stayed small, the other 2 graded OK as in R's but one was a fat score of 4+, this boyo was an O+5- but didn't look any different to the rest. luck of the draw with the bullish lad, has he a stone left and obviously bullish, I had a lad in the load with a real bull head on him, huge for his age and showing a rod occasionally but behaving normally otherwise, got full whack for him @ 437kg.:Thumbp2:

He's bullish alright with the rod and pawing the ground and the head. Bag is not big though, reckon a stone was missed but can't get near him safely to check that.

Often

Have one like that every year and have never been cut yet. Just make sure you send him in a good load. He leave more profit than the rest put together !

Often

Have one like that every year and have never been cut yet. Just make sure you send him in a good load. He leave more profit than the rest put together !

More than likely alright! Just hope he won't go over fat :sweat:

Any of ye kill cattle of grass recently?
How are cattle doing?
Anybody disappointed?
It will be another week or two before we go with a few.
I'm hearing silage is not testing very well, grain didn't fill, in both cases lack of sunshine was the main reason, does it not make sense that the power won't be in grazed grass also.
Any opinions?

How are cattle doing?
Anybody disappointed?
I'm hearing silage is not testing very well, grain didn't fill, in both cases lack of sunshine was the main reason, does it not make sense that the power won't be in grazed grass also.
Any opinions?
Going next week so will be interesting to compare with the previous lot a few posts up, €3.80 /kg is whats being said ????

Nothing gone here either in a while, I'm hearing 3.80 as well though.

On ithastopay points I wonder would the horrible weather earlier this spring also be a factor. Really any compensatory growth didn't kick in till late April at the earliest whereas other years it would be a month earlier. Stock were never really content up to then.

How are cattle doing?
Anybody disappointed?
Any opinions?
Killing away off grass for the last 6 to 8 weeks, happy enough with how cattle are going. Not feeding anything on grass atm but grass quality is high, assume I will be feeding in a few weeks to start building grass and have cattle going indoors on the 1st of next month. 3.80 is better than the price off all my shed cattle from last term. Allot of dear cattle to wash through the system

Back