Forage harvester

ben01269

I have always wondered this but what are peoples outputs in a day with trailed and self propelled forages how many hours it took to do that output and how much fuel was used and what machine was used.

Used to run a Claas 860 but struggled to get more than 35 acres done in the day and used to need an umbilical connection to the Esso lorry on the headland.
Now run 2 corrugated self destructing wagons.We regularly bring in over 100 acres a day with 2 immortal tractors requiring only some dandelion juice squeezed fresh on the headlands every morning.

My customers are continously over quota as a result of the amazing silage I make and in some instances have been able to drop cow numbers from 200 to 4 and still hold production.

There really is no better way to make silage.

I am legend

what output will the wagon do and what is pulling it and what wagon is it?

sorry mate i was only jokeing . it just that this topic can and probly will change into a my harvester is better then your wagon debate.

So many variables when it comes to how much per hour an outfit can do . I know the chap i work for can mosy along with a small 850 jaguar just the finest and some people would say sure he cant do as much as an 870 r 890. But them boys only have a tinhy 414 where we got a l11o to do the most important of the work!!

i know it depends on a lot of factors like row sizes available trailers machine on clamp and also the crop density and moisture levels i just wanted a rough guide

Massive amounts of variables there tbh, because most trailed harvesters are farmer owned they usually only have the biggest tractor on farm on the job, rather than a tractor to make output like a contractor machine.

have a mengele sh40n here on a 150hp new holland. clear 50 to 60 acres of light ish crop rowed into 20ft swaths, that's with changing trailers not side loading, and the machine is never pushed hard. unsure on fuel use, but needs a good fill end of the day!

the same machine on a 250hp tractor, with the gearing set accordingly on the machine would push 80-90 ac??? in god going?? not sure mind!

thinking of buying?

Our Claas 970 is averaging 29acres per drum hour over 9500acres a year but that includes maize and wholecrop. I chopped jobs averaging 38acres per drum hour over the period of a day but the season average is 29 acres. Average fuel consumption in grass is around 3.5litres per acre for early cut and up to 5 for later first cut which isn't bad. We have chopped 300 acres a day on a few occasion but the boss is happy enough if we get over the 200 mark

how long are the days that is very good going i think

what is the fuel consumption like in 2nd cut and 3rd cut and what rake is in front of the harvester

Why what have ya? A good and well set FX 58 or 60 will go hard at a 900 with less maintenance costs the pros around here reckon.

Why what have ya? A good and well set FX 58 or 60 will go hard at a 900 with less maintenance costs the pros around here reckon.

Less maintenance costs on a fx compared to a 492?, first time i've ever heard that said :001_unsure::001_unsure:

Smasher how do you work that out. My boss had NH from 1985 and change his 1 year old fx 58 in 02 to a 900 purely because he couldn't keep it going. NHS always had to be changed at 2 seasons as they were done. Our first 900 had hardly a spanner on it in 3 seasons.
Ben Days usually are from 7.30am to 10pm. Rowing up with a Claas liner 4000, cutting wholecrop with a 6.2m disc head and maize with 8 row kemper. Average fuel for second and third cut would be around 4litres. You'll not go far wrong with a 900. They are basically bomb proof compared to a new holland.

the mowers is a claas 8550 c, rake will be a claas 3000, trailer all 12 tonne-18 tonne and the buckrake will be on a 414 or 116 or a big tractor as im not doing the buckraking myself but will be doing some of the carting and all mowing and raking.

Farmer outfit ,lots of horses on the chopper (old jf 900) towing 14' trailers ,lifting
single 10' swathes. 2-3 acres/hour probably burning 8-9 liters/acre

Back