Grass Growth Rates

50 here, no colour in the place. The frosts last week and swings in temperature are the cause. 3 days first round left
Halved from last week to 35. Round feeders back in, to some bunches. Conditions are ace. Heard on weather forecast the North of the country is going into a soil moisture deficit:scared::scared:, surely not

Halved from last week to 35. Round feeders back in, to some bunches. Conditions are ace. Heard on weather forecast the North of the country is going into a soil moisture deficit:scared::scared:, surely not

We are almost as dry here as summer 2018. We haven't had such a prolonged period without rain but there has been a serious drying wind.

Thankfully we are perfect in moisture, and dont have drying winds. Growth about to kick off anyday
Growth has been bombing away here for the last 2 weeks. It has never been as good but with shallow soils and no rain, it is likely that we are into a slow down by now.

Grew 47 last week, things are dry but think the biggest issue here is a serious lack of heat. Wind there that would cut you again this evening
Was going to say the same, reckon we done about 40 over the last week, will know in the morning for last 5 days.

So far it's been a very poor growing year here, heat and kindness the main issues. Too cold to burn up

Growth down to 51. Going to put in 3kg of silage to hold the grass cover. Not looking like we'll get much rain towards the end of the week now either

Growth down to 51. Going to put in 3kg of silage to hold the grass cover. Not looking like we'll get much rain towards the end of the week now either
You feeding much in the parlour? Silage is really a last resort. We have maize so that will prob have to go in by end of week if it doesn’t get kinder. Don’t think it’s really drought is our problem but more the wind, temp swings and frosts.

I would say lack of rain has something to do with it as well as what u have said above ... I have seen a few pics were the ground is starting to look burnt but I'd say there patches are still not fully recovered from the summer of 18 and it does not take much now for them to dry up again.

Little or no growth here for the last week and set stocked bullocks on old pasture are running out of grass fast, a combo of the drought, drop in temps and the early fert running out, but serious growthy evening out there now, there should be a massive spurt of growth if we get this rain.

You feeding much in the parlour? Silage is really a last resort. We have maize so that will prob have to go in by end of week if it doesn’t get kinder. Don’t think it’s really drought is our problem but more the wind, temp swings and frosts.
We're feeding 4 kg. Production is good at 2.28 kgs but i dont want to feed any more tbh. Silage I'm feeding is good stuff off paddocks, I'd say it's near 80 dmd. 3kg of it shouldn't affect production too much I hope.

Silage on light land is disappearing I've heard from several sources already, most are cutting to preserve it now, regrowths could be slow.

My max N plots growing at 83 last week , wasnt expecting that. My zero n plot was at 57. This is really struggling for N as it has gotten no organic N yet this year

My max N plots growing at 83 last week , wasnt expecting that. My zero n plot was at 57. This is really struggling for N as it has gotten no organic N yet this year
What does that mean to the uneducated do you mind me asking? Are you saying you are doing a trial where you are spreading exactly the max amount of chemical N allowed without derogation on one spot and spreading no N at all (even slurry) on the zero N plot?

Grass bouncing out of the ground with us since the rain Monday morning and again last night but to be fair, we have had some rain each weekend except one for the last 6 weeks whereas other areas locally missed a lot of it.

What does that mean to the uneducated do you mind me asking? Are you saying you are doing a trial where you are spreading exactly the max amount of chemical N allowed without derogation on one spot and spreading no N at all (even slurry) on the zero N plot?

Grass bouncing out of the ground with us since the rain Monday morning and again last night but to be fair, we have had some rain each weekend except one for the last 6 weeks whereas other areas locally missed a lot of it.

Max rate is not the right term. High input was what I should have said, but still under the nitrate regulations. Just farm plots. Most of the farm is now on a medium to low chemical N, some high N, and some zero chemical N. trying to get max efficiency from it. All would still receive a portion of organic fertiliser

When you consider that if you apply 30 units of nitrogen per acre to grass and only 20% of this is actually used by the grass(6units), it's time to start wondering.

Back