Greenhouse Gas Emissions

I have an old water mill here and investigated cleaning out the pond reopening the head and tail race ,between fisheries Esb. co.council environ

mental impact statement it would have been easier to import uranium and build a mini reactor.

Was the mill race filled in ?
The mill race in Donaghmore was filled in , and I think it would be as you found to open it again.

The mill on the river below Ballinabrannagh , outside Carlow town , is used to generate electricity , is it not ? What sort of output/how many domestic dwellings would something like that power ? @Bog Man @bagenal ?

Folks.

Couple of quick comments/info on the posts above

The PSO Levy only supports specific forms of generation not all generation. GENERATION included in the PSO Levy has to be approved by the EU, not national government but is put forward by the government of the relevant member state.

Here/below is the breakdown of recipients for the year 2019/2020. - this is publically available information.

A good point above re why not more output from Ardnacrusha @Burdizzo. Do the tour you will enjoy it - it is a marvel from an engineering point of view given when it was constructed.
Head race Originally designed for a fifth or sixth turbine but only 4 turbines installed. In broad terms There are limitations on the maximum drawdown of water from the head race, plus yr round availability of water, average inflows etc. also the head height is in effect fixed from construction, so you will not get big increase in output over and above that which is there from the start.

It was a brave new Ireland that invested in the vision that led to ardnacrusha at the time - it represented such a commitment of the states financial resources.
In the fifties the ESB built two big dams on the river Lee. They flooded thousands of acres of land,roads and houses etc for good.Must have cost fortune at the time and the whole thing is considered a failure in terms of what power it generates. They also flooded Cork City badly a few times through its mismanagement. The whole thing was one big mistake.

I don't think the topography of our rivers lends itself well to hydro electric outside of the Shannon, the Suir is almost flat from Clonmel to estuary and like similar rivers moving upstream just wont have the water volume to make economic sense.

If you could get away with building one today though they would be amazing with wind power. use the windy day and excess power to fill the battery and run it down on the calm day.

We really really need to get cracking with some offshore wind in this country. we could power half of europe with our offshore wind.

a big problem with depending on nuclear in a small country like ireland is that you don't need many plants, but nuclear plants are quite high maintenance pieces of kit, they need relatively regular and relatively long periods of maintenance downtime. So if you only needed 3 plants to run the country you'd need a 4th just to have the spare capacity to be able to shut one of the 3 down for maintenance. thats 33% extra capacity for one plant to be maintained. it's much less of an issue with bigger countries with more plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Ireland
I know of a site that was identified for this, then shale oil and gas came on the scene and made in unviable

In the fifties the ESB built two big dams on the river Lee. They flooded thousands of acres of land,roads and houses etc for good.Must have cost fortune at the time and the whole thing is considered a failure in terms of what power it generates. They also flooded Cork City badly a few times through its mismanagement. The whole thing was one big mistake.
We got the Gearagh wildlife sanctuary from it though. Something for the birds ! Good few swans and geese are happy enough about it anyway. Not to mention other nature of the after hours variety:blink:

Whatever became of the wave energy research. Weren t they talking about massive potential a while ago ?

The potential is there/remains. The emergence of a technology with sufficient technical efficacy, scalability and commerciality is not. Offshore wind ahead of it at present.

Each will have their own views about the creation of reservoirs and the rights and wrongs of doing so; so I won’t comment on that.

In terms of flooding I lived in cork for several years and saw how it changed in terms of what was built on over that time and afterwards. . All else being equal, the flooding of cork would be even worse without those same reservoirs as they give some, albeit limited, capacity to modulate the inflows to cork. The lee is a flashy river due to the topology of its catchment area and will always be.

Ardnacrusha is similar in many ways nowadays - produces very little power and many folk upstream reckon it causes a lot of the flooding issues there, plus it has destroyed the once impressive salmon and Eel runs on the river.

It's a wonder they can't milk some more juice from it these days?
Very controversial choice of words (almond milk alert).

Its a wonder we cant incorporate small hydro on the same hills that the wind turbines are on now in west cork/kerry. Cables are there for it. The water that hits these hills is unreal. They are putting 1000 plus tons of concrete at the base of each windturbine atm, that much would hold some amount water if positioned correctly

Very controversial choice of words (almond milk alert).

Its a wonder we cant incorporate small hydro on the same hills that the wind turbines are on now in west cork/kerry. Cables are there for it. The water that hits these hills is unreal. They are putting 1000 plus tons of concrete at the base of each windturbine atm, that much would hold some amount water if positioned correctly
Where are them wind turbines being put up? I see them passing west on the N22 some nights. The size of them is out of this world.

Where are them wind turbines being put up? I see them passing west on the N22 some nights. The size of them is out of this world.
There is one wind farm in ballingeary/ renaniree area. alot of the locals think there are out of this world too ! Would love to get the real facts and figures of the ground work 'not sales spin'. 1 local person said 100 lorry loads of concrete per turbine. Havent heard how much rock breaking went on but all the usual tearing necessary involved to get into mountainy site

There is one wind farm in ballingeary/ renaniree area. alot of the locals think there are out of this world too ! Would love to get the real facts and figures of the ground work 'not sales spin'. 1 local person said 100 lorry loads of concrete per turbine. Havent heard how much rock breaking went on but all the usual tearing necessary involved to get into mountainy site
The ones here are 86 metre masts and 45 metre blades so topping out just under 130 metres, 20 loads of readymix in each base, each blade weighs 9 tons so a fair bit of momentum when 27 tons is rotating at 15 rpm, a bit of maths. 90m diameter x 3.142 = 282.78 circumference x 15 =4242 metres /min x 60 =254,520m/hr , 254 kmh/hr tip speed or 158 mph.

The ones here are 86 metre masts and 45 metre blades so topping out just under 130 metres, 20 loads of readymix in each base, each blade weighs 9 tons so a fair bit of momentum when 27 tons is rotating at 15 rpm, a bit of maths. 90m diameter x 3.142 = 282.78 circumference x 15 =4242 metres /min x 60 =254,520m/hr , 254 kmh/hr tip speed or 158 mph.
I wonder was 20 loads the figure qouted for getting planning purposes? Or else ground must ve been spot on. The the figure of 100 loads per turbine in ballingeary sounds alot more realistic from local info here. Would love to here final figures/costings when the job is completed

Was the mill race filled in ?
The mill race in Donaghmore was filled in , and I think it would be as you found to open it again.

The mill on the river below Ballinabrannagh , outside Carlow town , is used to generate electricity , is it not ? What sort of output/how many domestic dwellings would something like that power ? @Bog Man @bagenal ?
I would not think it was generating a huge amount of electricity but I think it is financially viable . The fisher men are always bellyaching about it but what is new there . It is an unusual setup in that it generates more power when the river level is low due to a bigger fall .
And it is For Sale including 250 kW Kaplan generator

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/br...eration-station-leighlinbridge-carlow/4254386

But that's still 400ish tons of concrete under the windmill
Lot of momentum yes but well balanced

But that's still 400ish tons of concrete under the windmill
Lot of momentum yes but well balanced
A long way short of the 2000+ suggested in a previous post, no denying wind turbines are carbon hungry, concrete, steel, cabling, transport, construction etc are all big consumers.

I would not think it was generating a huge amount of electricity but I think it is financially viable . The fisher men are always bellyaching about it but what is new there . It is an unusual setup in that it generates more power when the river level is low due to a bigger fall .
And it is For Sale including 250 kW Kaplan generator

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/br...eration-station-leighlinbridge-carlow/4254386

Your bid must have been accepted, It's showing Sale Agreed here...

The plans for an electricity interconnector to Europe are part of the plans to further increase Wind power, when we have surplus we ll export it to Europe when we have a deficit we can import. In a larger network wind is a smaller proportion and less variable as the wind in always blowing somewhere, this makes it easier to accommodate.
That may be what they are saying in public, but the massive advantage of an interconnector is the French supply of cheap clean (from a CO2 stand point) nuclear power. It is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. We want the nuclear power, but don't want it here.

A long way short of the 2000+ suggested in a previous post, no denying wind turbines are carbon hungry, concrete, steel, cabling, transport, construction etc are all big consumers.
A supplier was questioned on a local wind project here. Couldn t give final figure but said 1000 tons plus of concrete alone per turbine would be a minimum and very conservative figure back there..the wind company will always give low figures publicy for obvious reasons. They are trying to look envir friendly and get planning. I would be all for wind turbines if they could be successfully married to another system like hydro or gas.

Back