HomePlugs and calving camera

the shed id want to be part of the house wiring would it not?
might work if its part of the same meter, im not too well up on it tbh.the timew we did mess about with ip cameras, i got the impression you really needed to spend massive money on a ip camera to get a crystal clear picture.

Anyone done it with a wired ip camera?

My brother uses them and they work a treat, worth a punt??
ya have them about, if they work they are very handy, saves getting in wireless gear

might work if its part of the same meter, im not too well up on it tbh.the timew we did mess about with ip cameras, i got the impression you really needed to spend massive money on a ip camera to get a crystal clear picture.
no not the case, you can get a very good ptz camera for 300-400 pound bracket, you would have a serious zoom for that kinda money, good enough to read ear tag etc
this is ebay pricing now i mean

The homeplugs are in London in my brothers apartment. Not here!!

I'm going to buy a couple on eBay, will do a simple test by plugging it in to the router and plugging in the laptop in the shed, if I get a reasonable data speed, I'll buy a wire camera maybe a switching unit and a second, do it in stages.

The homeplugs are in London in my brothers apartment. Not here!!

I'm going to buy a couple on eBay, will do a simple test by plugging it in to the router and plugging in the laptop in the shed, if I get a reasonable data speed, I'll buy a wire camera maybe a switching unit and a second, do it in stages.

well i have a wireless link up to my sheds but recently tested the little adapters to see would it work as i want to add in another camera at some stage and figured it might be handy, power to my sheds runs from house to fuse board in some old stone sheds near house and then from there to animal sheds, distance is probably 100m or so but i thought it mightnt work because of the way the cable isnt direct as such..anyway plugged in laptop in animal sheds and was straight onto home network so its very handy to have
have these ones
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416167282&sr=8-1&keywords=tl-pa411kit"]TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

As you'd imagine cameras have come on serious this last few years. As vander said you can buy a good PTZ camera for £300-400 now. £80 would buy you a 720p static camera fairly easily. These could easily have been £200 a couple of years ago.

If homeplugs don't work then a point to point wireless plug may work depending on the range and line of sight however it is hard to beat running a cable.

well i have a wireless link up to my sheds but recently tested the little adapters to see would it work as i want to add in another camera at some stage and figured it might be handy, power to my sheds runs from house to fuse board in some old stone sheds near house and then from there to animal sheds, distance is probably 100m or so but i thought it mightnt work because of the way the cable isnt direct as such..anyway plugged in laptop in animal sheds and was straight onto home network so its very handy to have
have these ones
TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers &
Accessories

As luck would have it, I just bought a pair of those very plugs, will try them, supposedly the house and she are on the same ring main, so until I get them and plug them in I can't be sure.

After that, decide what sort of camera set up I put in, would be nice to b able to do it all for less than €250!

I realise I posted this in the wrong section, should have been farm tech
Could [MENTION=1475]candor[/MENTION] or one of the mods move it??
Thanks

As luck would have it, I just bought a pair of those very plugs, will try them, supposedly the house and she are on the same ring main, so until I get them and plug them in I can't be sure.

After that, decide what sort of camera set up I put in, would be nice to b able to do it all for less than €250!

Thanks

Done.

Thanks

How many cameras and what are they for?

2 camera for keeping an eye on calving pens.

Would like more cameras and pTZ but can't really justify it.

4 Channel DVR + 2 HD cameras could be got easily within that budget or you could go for 3 cameras if you shopped around a bit or a cheaper PTZ if zoom isnt as important.

Although I'd recommend future proofing it a bit and putting in an 8 channel DVR with at least a 1tb hard drive, the cost isn't that much more and if you ever want a few more in you'll thank yourself. Thats if video recording is necessary, you can do without it if you just want real-time.

4 Channel DVR + 2 HD cameras could be got easily within that budget or you could go for 3 cameras if you shopped around a bit or a cheaper PTZ if zoom isnt as important.

Although I'd recommend future proofing it a bit and putting in an 8 channel DVR with at least a 1tb hard drive, the cost isn't that much more and if you ever want a few more in you'll thank yourself. Thats if video recording is necessary, you can do without it if you just want real-time.

But how would I set it up?

From what I can see, all of ther boxes in that budget use BNC analogue connectors, so I'm guess that the box would need to be in the shed where the boxes are an connected to the homeplug, making the only way to view te cameras on a device connected to the www.

Would this be right? I'm not overly worried about storage as it's just for live viewing when cows are calving

But how would I set it up?

From what I can see, all of ther boxes in that budget use BNC analogue connectors, so I'm guess that the box would need to be in the shed where the boxes are an connected to the homeplug, making the only way to view te cameras on a device connected to the www.

Would this be right? I'm not overly worried about storage as it's just for live viewing when cows are calving

Our current system is a wired analogue system but going to be upgraded soon but I did look at IP cameras earlier this year/last year; so dont quote me on this but, going by the homeplugs that you have you can run a cable going directly from the homeplug in the shed into the IP camera (although im not sure if you can run 2 off one homeplug without a switch) but you could then view the camera over any computer in your network through your router. (I think?!)

Our current system is a wired analogue system but going to be upgraded soon but I did look at IP cameras earlier this year/last year; so dont quote me on this but, going by the homeplugs that you have you can run a cable going directly from the homeplug in the shed into the IP camera (although im not sure if you can run 2 off one homeplug without a switch) but you could then view the camera over any computer in your network through your router. (I think?!)

That's what I was thinking

id say some of the dvr's have a network port so you should be able to do bnc from dvr to cameras if you wanted to got hat route and still have an IP
connection to dvr

Thing that concerns me is i would need access to the box to cycle through the cameras if i had more than 1 On the go, maybe 4

As you'd imagine cameras have come on serious this last few years. As vander said you can buy a good PTZ camera for £300-400 now. £80 would buy you a 720p static camera fairly easily. These could easily have been £200 a couple of years ago.

If homeplugs don't work then a point to point wireless plug may work depending on the range and line of sight however it is hard to beat running a cable.
i have two ip cameras here that would of been up on that money from about 2-3 yrs ago, they are pretty crap tbh.
things have moved on.

i have a 16 channel dvr here, wired to 3 ptz cameras, but i wired them direct from the house to a box outside and from there to the cameras.
have two controller units in the house, one in the bedroom and one in the office.
bought it all of e bay once i did the homework on what was good and what wasn't.
took a bit of time, but i done it cheap enough in the end.
if id of walked out and ordered it it would of cost the guts of 10k.

i have two ip cameras here that would of been up on that money from about 2-3 yrs ago, they are pretty crap tbh.
things have moved on.

i have a 16 channel dvr here, wired to 3 ptz cameras, but i wired them direct from the house to a box outside and from there to the cameras.
have two controller units in the house, one in the bedroom and one in the office.
bought it all of e bay once i did the homework on what was good and what wasn't.
took a bit of time, but i done it cheap enough in the end.
if id of walked out and ordered it it would of cost the guts of 10k.

You're probably right there, grand setup you have there as well, would be serious handy I'd imagine.

Tbh I'd be going the other direction, going for a HD ptz and mounting it between the pens, running it direct to the homeplug to the computer and you can worry about other cameras when it comes to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-Zoom-...-/321406616516?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4ad553c3c4

You're probably right there, grand setup you have there as well, would be serious handy I'd imagine.

Tbh I'd be going the other direction, going for a HD ptz and mounting it between the pens, running it direct to the homeplug to the computer and you can worry about other cameras when it comes to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-Zoom-...-/321406616516?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4ad553c3c4

Probably right.

Iffy about buying from china, i'd also want it to have a native app.

We talked it over last night,

so we will try the homeplugs to the shed, if they work, we'll add a third homeplug in the shed, which will give us facility for 2 static cameras (my feeling is that a PTZ camera which is sub €500 won't be up to much) so as a test a pair of cheap static wired ip cameras and we should have a decent enough camera set up for about €150 - piggybacking off the current 3 Mobile Broadband/Wifi set up.

be a great job if it woks at that money - because the install will be so simple, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they could be taken down for the other 8 months of the year or moved to a sheep shed. - or just packed up safely to try and extend their longevity, as a €40 camera is likely to be mediocre at best!

Back