Is the Ford 7610 2WD a reliable tractor

id say it was more driver error and poor maintanience. Your supposed to change the gearbox oil every 750hrs, not run it up to 3k on the oil what was put in after the dealers first service. And setting off in 4th ruins the clutches after a while, anyone who knows anything about hydrashift always cogs them back to 2nd or 3rd before setting off

You're not convincing anybody.:D

We bought a new series 3 7610 in 1989, sold it with about 5500 hours on the clock, and the only work it had done was a new radiator after about 4500 hours and a grease nipple fitted to the gear linkages at 2000 hours.
What series/year is she?
The series 3 with the rotary fuel pump were much better than their predecessors, once the coolant filter is dropped every year, there should be no porosity problems.

If you don't mind me asking but how much did you get for your 7610? what would a series 3 7610 1991 model with a rotary pump be worth today?

Are they capable of handling a good size hydraulic transport box and an 8 foot 3 point linkage topper?

If you don't mind me asking but how much did you get for your 7610? what would a series 3 7610 1991 model with a rotary pump be worth today?

Are they capable of handling a good size hydraulic transport box and an 8 foot 3 point linkage topper?

We traded her in against the TS115, I think we got around €12000 for her, she was immaculate though, apart from a few small bits of rust on the cab.
There was only 5500 hours on her and practically trouble free while we had her.
The series 3 are much better than the previous versions, they shouldn't smoke unless accelerating and there is great power in them.
We had an 8 foot trailed topper, so i don't know if they are heavy enough for a linkage mounted one, the link box should be fine though.

Those two items should be no bother to a 7610 :thumbup:

Uncles 1983 Q Cab 7610 2wd can handle an 8ft kuhn flail topper no problem and drive the bollox off a 100 inch rotavator ;) too
There is a 6610 2wd near me that tops with a 9ft perfect 3pt linkage topper no bother to it.

I was showing Dad a 4wd 7610 AP cab with Tanco T80 loader for €14k (donedeal) earlier.

http://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-7610/6016864

A nice 2wd series 3 rotary pump model - at a guess, €12k for a right clean one
A 6810 series 3 sq cab 2wd during the summer with 8k hours and fine and tidy was €10k

Last edited:

We used to have a 15 foot power harrow and a 120 inch rotaspike as well as driving a double chop forage harvester and for light duties it used to pull a four sod Kylingstad plough .
Most loads of beet were 17 tonnes on a lorry body but had up to twenty tonnes wet pulp for a back load .
The rotary pump were a great job still have one on the Ford 7700 and they would start with any battery .

That's great lads. thanks for your help. When ye say 12K for one, is that for a 2 or a 4wd, also is that a private or a garage price?

I am going to look at one but my only worry is that the engine will go porous I was told it has not gone porous.

That's great lads. thanks for your help. When ye say 12K for one, is that for a 2 or a 4wd, also is that a private or a garage price?

I am going to look at one but my only worry is that the engine will go porous I was told it has not gone porous.

As well as we got on with our 7610, and it was a genuinely excellent tractor for us, I would be probably more tempted by a 7740, engines last forever in them and rust is not much of a problem either. Probably a few quid more but maybe money well spent:001_huh:

As well as we got on with our 7610, and it was a genuinely excellent tractor for us, I would be probably more tempted by a 7740, engines last forever in them and rust is not much of a problem either. Probably a few quid more but maybe money well spent:001_huh:

Lad I know bought a 7840 for export said it was in good condition was looking for 13.5K for it. told him to let me have a look at it. I would have been interested in her but have not heard anymore about it. maybe just BS talk from him.

tbh tractor would be only for topping, rolling, transport box. would be parked in a shed doing nothing this time of the year. that's why a 7610 may suit.

Pippa that load will be no bother to her, we used an 8ft fully offset topper on a 4610 for a few years till we upgraded.

I should also say Skimmers was near concourse when it was sold, absolutely mint.

I'd also agree with Skimmer, a 40 series may be a better bet at these prices.

Mike D4D, did you see the mint 6810 on Donedeal over the past 2 weeks or so?

Noel Stinson from Aughnacloy had a 2008 New Holland T5050 2wd with 2800 hours advertised in the Farmers Journal this week; dual power and supposedly in mint condition off an arable farm in the East of England and was looking £13,500 stg for it.

It would seem cheap to me :001_unsure:

Noel Stinson from Aughnacloy had a 2008 New Holland T5050 2wd with 2800 hours advertised in the Farmers Journal this week; dual power and supposedly in mint condition off an arable farm in the East of England and was looking £13,500 stg for it.

I think that would be a great buy.

Some day, a 35/L, TL or TLA 2wd will be in the fleet.

Still though I know a very cheap JX 2wd was sold to near here during the last ten days!

Would 9K for the '91 series 3 7610 be enough for it? Tractor was mechanically very good, no oil leaks worth speaking about. There was rust on the doors and around the window seals if I was to buy I would respray the whole tractor to deal with the rust before it went beyond reasonable repair. How much would it cost to do a professional paint job on her? What would two new tyres for the front cost?

Also, if you had a choice between this 2wd 7610 at 9K plus a paint job and a very very clean '93 2wd massey 390 for 12K what would you buy?

Only way that price would be right is + Vat.

Pippa that load will be no bother to her, we used an 8ft fully offset topper on a 4610 for a few years till we upgraded.

I should also say Skimmers was near concourse when it was sold, absolutely mint.

I'd also agree with Skimmer, a 40 series may be a better bet at these prices.

Mike D4D, did you see the mint 6810 on Donedeal over the past 2 weeks or so?

No she belonged to our spare parts supplier. They got her as a trade in. Just over 8k hours on the clock and my god did she drive well :thumbup:

Would 9K for the '91 series 3 7610 be enough for it? Tractor was mechanically very good, no oil leaks worth speaking about. There was rust on the doors and around the window seals if I was to buy I would respray the whole tractor to deal with the rust before it went beyond reasonable repair. How much would it cost to do a professional paint job on her? What would two new tyres for the front cost?

Also, if you had a choice between this 2wd 7610 at 9K plus a paint job and a very very clean '93 2wd massey 390 for 12K what would you buy?

The 390, that 7610 will swallow the difference anyway, and rust will always be an issue as well as the engine.
Any prices quoted by the NI boys will nearly always be plus vat.

The 390, that 7610 will swallow the difference anyway, and rust will always be an issue as well as the engine.

Any prices quoted by the NI boys will nearly always be plus vat.

I'm not a fan of 390's but agree with my learned colleague above!

The Ford will have 20hp on the massey of course, but a neighbour has a standard 390 and it seems to have very good pulling power.

I am leaning towards the massey, lower hours, drive her home put her straight to work. the ford was looked after. small bit of black smoke when revved. started on the first turn and it was a cold day. a perkins would not start as easy. coolant in the ford with the coolant filter changed often so would say porous block would not be a problem.

It's on Page 23 and I'd say it's plus Vat, but sure if you're registered it doesn't matter!
If it was as good as described it would be real good value.

There was a 4wd TLA90, I think, at an auction in Classic Tractor this month that wasn't dangerous money either I thought

It's on Page 23 and I'd say it's plus Vat, but sure if you're registered it doesn't matter!
If it was as good as described it would be real good value.

There was a 4wd TLA90, I think, at an auction in Classic Tractor this month that wasn't dangerous money either I thought

Did you see what the 4610 made:eek::eek::eek:

It made the TL look very cheap.

Enquired today about re spraying a 7610. Was told you can do a 2K job if you were buying to sell or to do a professional job would involve the cab on the floor and cutting out the rusted bits replacing with new steel. This could cost 4.5K plus. I can see this point because the 7610 I saw had rust around the window seals so this would have to be replaced. I am not someone to do half jobs so if I was to buy this tractor I could be spending a lot of money on her. Also, at over 6K hours she is not far off an overhaul???

Would 7K hours on a mf 390 be a lot of hours? Would this tractor also need an overhaul shortly?

Would 7K hours on a mf 390 be a lot of hours? Would this tractor also need an overhaul shortly?[/QUOTE]

From my experience with Ferguson tractors you should get another three thousand hours before touching the engine once you keep it serviced :thumbup:

Back