Makeing hay .

bk1991

Going to get two bits of ground mowed . Can it be left too long on ground before bailing ? Or whats the best way to have it before bailing .

Longer on the ground =less feed value
A lot depends on the type of grass before it's cut.green leafy stuff needs a lot of sun

If using a pz haybob.

1. Set tines in bottom holes for turning.

2. Set wheels in bottom hole.

3. Put toplink pin in bottom hole.

4. Open transport latch on headstock and only make left hand turns.

5. The haybob cover 11 ft per pass so if your mowing with a 5ft6 drum mower it should take in 2 swards. If your turning it out for the first time after a 8ft mower the haybob is grabbing a bit out the sward beside it.

6. Make sure all the tines and springs are in good order.

7. For rowing reverse all the settings.

8. If you think the hay isnt quite fit then leave it for another day. Most people make this mistake and end up wrapping it.

9. When the hay starts sticking to the turner then its getting fit to bale.

10. If the hay gets a shower of rain then leave it alone until the grass drys out. I see lots of people that panic and go and turn it and create lumps and when it does dry takes another two days before its fit again.

Very good advice there Peter especially 8.

Another one I'd add is no need to have the hand throttle wrapped around your knee. See too many at this and wondering why they've got lumps!!

If you've an older 250 Haybob it will only cover around 9ft.

lads what would you expect to pay for hay , quality not top class but ok in terms of might be bits of rush and other trash thru it, would be baling it myself in rounds, would i be right in thinking 20 would be enough??

Good hay here is 28 to 30 out of the field so id say yours would make a few bob more than you mentioned.

And that's speaking as a buyer rather than a seller

Good hay here is 28 to 30 out of the field so id say yours would make a few bob more than you mentioned.

I got 45 bales of hay bales this afternoon. It was mowed midday on Saturday . Spread out with a Haybob on Saturday afternoon . Not touched on Sunday. Turned once more on Monday. Rowed up with a Vicon Acrobat of all things today. You would eat it yourself.
2 balers Fusion on a JD 6920s driven by owner. 550 McHale on A NH TM155 driven by his 17 year old daughter.
He was telling me that he baled silage in the last couple of days that had been sold for €30 a bale , ex field ! A lot of recently expanded dairy farmers in a bad way for fodder.
20180626_171536.jpg
20180626_165522.jpg

I have hay down since Thursday. Square baker man not available til tomorrow
Turned daily.it was very green though

If using a pz haybob.

1. Set tines in bottom holes for turning.

2. Set wheels in bottom hole.

3. Put toplink pin in bottom hole.

4. Open transport latch on headstock and only make left hand turns.

5. The haybob cover 11 ft per pass so if your mowing with a 5ft6 drum mower it should take in 2 swards. If your turning it out for the first time after a 8ft mower the haybob is grabbing a bit out the sward beside it.

6. Make sure all the tines and springs are in good order.

7. For rowing reverse all the settings.

8. If you think the hay isnt quite fit then leave it for another day. Most people make this mistake and end up wrapping it.

9. When the hay starts sticking to the turner then its getting fit to bale.

10. If the hay gets a shower of rain then leave it alone until the grass drys out. I see lots of people that panic and go and turn it and create lumps and when it does dry takes another two days before its fit again.

Cheers for the advice . Got a contractor to mow it yesterday . He has triples but he left it spread out . I shook it out today . I set the tines right . I forgot to move wheels . Theres new springs and tines 2 years ago and it done nothing since so i niped up all the tines to make sure they were tight .

When you say sticking to haybob do you mean that when you stop it and lift up haybob theres hay hanging from rotor and tines ?

Im not sure what model pz iv got

Made 304 bales of hay for a lad yesterday 150 were gone before I was finished, got 30 easily v good hay.

Anyone ever hear of steaming hay as it goes into the baler?!?!
http://www.staheliwest.com

Tbh it has me a little confused.
But I suppose alfalfa would be prone to leaf loss in the form of dust from the baler??

Used to run 1 of those steamers on a massey square baler 4 rows of nozzles 2 pumping steam in d swarth as it enters d baler pickup and 2 behind d pickup teeth

Each row of nozzles can be set differently. Alfalfa has all its protein in d leaves d stems are roughage more or less from what i learned

Reactions: AYF
Used to run 1 of those steamers on a massey square baler 4 rows of nozzles 2 pumping steam in d swarth as it enters d baler pickup and 2 behind d pickup teeth

Each row of nozzles can be set differently. Alfalfa has all its protein in d leaves d stems are roughage more or less from what i learned

I suppose alfalfa would get very brittle very fast too?
Bit like trying to make clover into hay.

Cheers for the advice . Got a contractor to mow it yesterday . He has triples but he left it spread out . I shook it out today . I set the tines right . I forgot to move wheels . Theres new springs and tines 2 years ago and it done nothing since so i niped up all the tines to make sure they were tight .

When you say sticking to haybob do you mean that when you stop it and lift up haybob theres hay hanging from rotor and tines ?

Im not sure what model pz iv got

Yep like the clip below.

I suppose alfalfa would get very brittle very fast too?
Bit like trying to make clover into hay.
It is very brittle. Before d bossbought d steamer we used to have 3 balers starting at 10 pm or later depending on d humidity and go balls to d wall to get 250 acres done before dew got to much and stopped us. 1 steamer and baler is all they run now and they get as much or more done in a good day now

Reactions: AYF
lads my lely 300 seems to be lumping the hay alot when tedding, i dont use it much but would be disappointed with it, its practically new so machine itself should be good, tines are set out which is correct for tedding, wheels are in middle hole, was going to try adjusting them a bit today to see would it make any odds, any other ideas??
also the stuff is very long grass, land has been idle for a bit, no fert just tall stemy stuff, would it be any hard to chop it a bit when baling??
dont want cows dragging too much onto slats

lads my lely 300 seems to be lumping the hay alot when tedding, i dont use it much but would be disappointed with it, its practically new so machine itself should be good, tines are set out which is correct for tedding, wheels are in middle hole, was going to try adjusting them a bit today to see would it make any odds, any other ideas??
also the stuff is very long grass, land has been idle for a bit, no fert just tall stemy stuff, would it be any hard to chop it a bit when baling??
dont want cows dragging too much onto slats

Chopping it won't do it any harm at all.

Not a lot of experience of lely's. Are you moving the tine position from raking to tedding?

Back