MF 265 restoration

Johnboi

Hi lads

Said I’d start this thread for 2 reasons. It might be of interest for some people on here to follow it and also as a way for me to pick peoples brains who know a lot more than I do

Background of this tractor is that it was my fathers tractor from about 1996-2008 which he had purchased off his uncle who had it from new.

Not the best kept machine. It has more broken glass than it does glass and it rarely saw a grease gun. Starts on first turn of key and started no bother yesterday after sitting for nearly 3 year’s.

Power steering is completely dead on it so that will be the first job I tackle on her this weekend. Already started stripping back the front end and the steering components are completely rusted solid together so they are currently soaking in wd40. Going to replace both the pump and ram if I can hopefully

Attachments

• A5BE65BC-08D5-49A8-975D-EE660E5E4189.jpeg
    A5BE65BC-08D5-49A8-975D-EE660E5E4189.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 103
good show dont forget to keep us updated and plenty of pix to boot............................................................

Spent a couple of hours on the tractor this morning going over it seeing what needs to be done and checking different parts. First thing I managed to fix was that there was a lot of play in the steering wheel and the steering box so went looking at it more and found a loose bolt attaching the steering box to the frame. That fixed that issue. The first photo shows the bolt

Secondly I seen the fuel gauge didn’t work so went looking at the fuel sender unit and there was a wire loose on it. It now works again. Pic 2

Now onto the first big job. The splined steering shaft is rusted solid onto all the cast parts. Has anyone any experience in getting one of these out? Is heat my only option? This is the first tractor I’ve ever worked on properly so I’d be cautious enough doing things

I’ve highlighted the splined shaft in the photo and am trying to take off the bottom steering arm first

Attachments

• C52110BC-793C-440E-8D9C-E5C3BAACE4F4.jpeg
    C52110BC-793C-440E-8D9C-E5C3BAACE4F4.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 0F7134D2-56C0-4359-8D2B-D61112A00AC7.jpeg
    0F7134D2-56C0-4359-8D2B-D61112A00AC7.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 77627DC5-2445-418E-A0B4-DB63B91D1284.jpeg
    77627DC5-2445-418E-A0B4-DB63B91D1284.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 45CBF8E8-C499-450D-98A3-A16EEF0A63CE.jpeg
    45CBF8E8-C499-450D-98A3-A16EEF0A63CE.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 90
  • B0CD127E-8306-4986-84BF-0FA6FB279746.jpeg
    B0CD127E-8306-4986-84BF-0FA6FB279746.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 279
Spent a couple of hours on the tractor this morning going over it seeing what needs to be done and checking different parts. First thing I managed to fix was that there was a lot of play in the steering wheel and the steering box so went looking at it more and found a loose bolt attaching the steering box to the frame. That fixed that issue. The first photo shows the bolt

Secondly I seen the fuel gauge didn’t work so went looking at the fuel sender unit and there was a wire loose on it. It now works again. Pic 2

Now onto the first big job. The splined steering shaft is rusted solid onto all the cast parts. Has anyone any experience in getting one of these out? Is heat my only option? This is the first tractor I’ve ever worked on properly so I’d be cautious enough doing things

I’ve highlighted the splined shaft in the photo and am trying to take off the bottom steering arm first
In your 3rd picture that part you have the line on isn't splined and only fits over the shaft. If memory serves there's a circlip that keeps it down that you remove and simply lift that piece up. If it's seized in place then a bit of heat won't do any harm. The steering bar and the little linkage at the back need to be removed first. The bottom part in your 4th picture comes off as agri power described and then the shaft comes out from the top.

Thanks for the help lads. I’ll update tonight on how I get on
index.php

If you havn't already taken out the bolt, it needs to be removed from hole rather than just loosened, there is a groove on the shaft for the bolt iirc.

If it doesn't loosen then, a chisel into the gap as mentioned already ought shift it.

Got her washed and the front nose taken off yesterday evening and a couple of hours of hammering and cursing a lot I got the first piece off. Everything is rusted solid on the front end. The centre shaft is my next task to try remove but looks like it’s going to be fun

Anyone any tips on getting tie rods off? I can get the nuts off but the threaded part will not budge out of the hole. Going ordering new parts online tonight.

Attachments

• C7A9AF69-0897-4215-A4B4-32C06DF82C4D.jpeg
    C7A9AF69-0897-4215-A4B4-32C06DF82C4D.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 65
Got her washed and the front nose taken off yesterday evening and a couple of hours of hammering and cursing a lot I got the first piece off. Everything is rusted solid on the front end. The centre shaft is my next task to try remove but looks like it’s going to be fun

Anyone any tips on getting tie rods off? I can get the nuts off but the threaded part will not budge out of the hole. Going ordering new parts online tonight.

I’d have taken off the track rods off the drop arm 1st,but depends if there done?

A good clout on the side or a ball joint splitter is best for getting the tie rods off.

I’d have taken off the track rods off the drop arm 1st,but depends if there done?

A good clout on the side or a ball joint splitter is best for getting the tie rods off.

I tried taking them out first but they wouldn’t budge. They are being replaced anyway so I said I’d leave them on for now

I tried taking them out first but they wouldn’t budge. They are being replaced anyway so I said I’d leave them on for now

Easier to take them out when fixed to something solid,if your replacing them undo the nut and undo the ball joint off the tie rod and sit it through a vice or a trailer towing ring and give it a good hit with the sledge hammer.

Easier to take them out when fixed to something solid,if your replacing them undo the nut and undo the ball joint off the tie rod and sit it through a vice or a trailer towing ring and give it a good hit with the sledge hammer.

I jamm a bar between the axle and the rod and get someone to lean on the bat and hit the end of the track rod with a hammer usually gets them off

Went into Halfords this afternoon and picked up a ball joint separater and it’s the best little tool ever. First time ever stepping in a Halfords but it’s the only place open on a Sunday. Popped the joints open in a couple of minutes

Are you certain the pin through the front casting is siezed? They normally end up too loose.

Those power assisted setups need for engine running and oil in the system to turn the wheels (iirc) unlike a hydrostatic system.

Can you remove the ram from the upper part of the pin and try turning it again?

Went into Halfords this afternoon and picked up a ball joint separater and it’s the best little tool ever. First time ever stepping in a Halfords but it’s the only place open on a Sunday. Popped the joints open in a couple of minutes
Try and get a Halfords trade card , it gets you a good bit of discount on most things there.

Are you certain the pin through the front casting is siezed? They normally end up too loose.

Those power assisted setups need for engine running and oil in the system to turn the wheels (iirc) unlike a hydrostatic system.

Can you remove the ram from the upper part of the pin and try turning it again?

it’s definitely rusted in solid. I’ve been trying to get it removed for hours. I’ve disconnected everything off the shaft and have jacked it from below and have only managed to move it an inch so far. I’ve been turning the steering while it’s jacked and hitting it with a sledge and it’s only moving slightly at a time. I can’t see anything stopping it coming out apart from a lack of grease over the years

Attachments

• 21E40981-DD73-49ED-8117-BC7217722CFC.jpeg
    21E40981-DD73-49ED-8117-BC7217722CFC.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 57
Can you disconnect the ram entirely? Surely the ram is stopping the pin moving up?

The small pin where the ram is fixed to the front casting is a tramp to remove however, I've ended up drilling up from the bottom to hammer out the pin.

Can you disconnect the ram entirely? Surely the ram is stopping the pin moving up?

The small pin where the ram is fixed to the front casting is a tramp to remove however, I've ended up drilling up from the bottom to hammer out the pin.
The steering arm that the ram is on is moving freely on the shaft so it isn’t affecting it stopping it coming out. That pin your talking about is giving me hassle too. I can’t drill from below as the casting is too thick

Back