Older diggers for farm use

You don't see many of these in working order anymore

https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/ruston-bucyrus-22rb-drag-line-crane/23398555

NjZlNTM1NzYzZjEwZTBjNDBhYmU2ZTMyNTkwOGEyYTfUhLWHKNKzzvQQZ_WnO8wBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU3MTk3NDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

The last of them must surely have met the gas axe 10 odd years ago, when scrap was making 200 a ton

Buy that and you could drain the Shannon .

I would imagine there cant be men with the skill to work one of them nowadays.

Talks of draining the Shannon started before you were born.
Nothing ever came of the talk ,
And they've given up even talking about it now.
It must be in some state from the last few days rain

The last of them must surely have met the gas axe 10 odd years ago, when scrap was making 200 a ton

I would imagine there cant be men with the skill to work one of them nowadays.

Talks of draining the Shannon started before you were born.
Nothing ever came of the talk ,
And they've given up even talking about it now.
It must be in some state from the last few days rain
I believe there is a bit of excavation going on on the Shannon .
I remember very big draglines working below athlone in the 1970,s and I remember clambering over banks of spoil on the Brosna after some arterial drainage scheme.
I was on a building site in Dublin in the 1980,s and the crane was a RB . He had block grabs and pallet forks . I thought it was a bit over the top for building apartments in Blackrock .

I remember them working in the gravel pits around here. It was mostly the smaller ones, I think they were called the 10 RB . The operator sat on a saddle same as a bicycle because he used his legs to operate the clutches that controlled the all the wire ropes. As @jf 850 said there can’t too many around now that could follow one of them.

I remember them working in the gravel pits around here. It was mostly the smaller ones, I think they were called the 10 RB . The operator sat on a saddle same as a bicycle because he used his legs to operate the clutches that controlled the all the wire ropes. As @jf 850 said there can’t too many around now that could follow one of them.
New a one armed man used to drive one and he was able to swing in the bucket and strike a match off it to light a cigarette. Young lads might not realize the bucket weighed about 700kg and would take the cab off if he hit the wrong brake.
He was a Howard of the engine engineers .

Didn't they have a few of them in the beet factory as well @Bog Man?

I seem to remember one parked up for years in Saltsmills village but It's been a while since I was down there to know if It's still there or not.

Didn't they have a few of them in the beet factory as well @Bog Man?

I seem to remember one parked up for years in Saltsmills village but It's been a while since I was down there to know if It's still there or not.
Tommy Neill used to hire in Big ones to clean out the settlement ponds . In an emergency he moved one from a quarry in Kilkenny over the Wellington bridge in Graiguecullen without taking the jib off by swinging the jib to accommodate the sharp turn . With the camber on the road he nearly ended up in the thatch . @jay gatsby . He owns Askea tyres and has an RB parked beside the premises.

Bord na Mona had a shot of RBs
There is work going on, clearing the Shannon.
Boxer Moran is the man.
He seems to have made a difference after a century of neglect.

There used be two of them viable from the main road between charlaville and mallow if I remember right too? Anyone know if there still there

There is 6 in various states of decay less than 200m from my house.86D9B245-76BA-479F-A390-FED67E7D289C.jpeg

They’ve been sat for coming up 22 years because the owner moved them from the quarry he sold thinking one day they would be worth something,two have smashed cabs where the operator let the boom come up to far,must have been scary.:scared:

There was 7 but one has now gone to a mining museum in the lakes,they’re all smith rodleys,not RB’s.

There is 6 in various states of decay less than 200m from my house.View attachment 71398

They’ve been sat for coming up 22 years because the owner moved them from the quarry he sold thinking one day they would be worth something,two have smashed cabs where the operator let the boom come up to far,must have been scary.:scared:

There was 7 but one has now gone to a mining museum in the lakes,they’re all smith rodleys,not RB’s.

Is the museum called something like Threkfeld ?

Where did all the old JCB 3C's go? I know they were never renowned for being a farm friendly digger compared to the 50b or 550 but they seem tohave disappeared. Was there a decent export market for them back in the 80's/90's?

Where did all the old JCB 3C's go? I know they were never renowned for being a farm friendly digger compared to the 50b or 550 but they seem tohave disappeared. Was there a decent export market for them back in the 80's/90's?

I dont think they were ever imported from the UK in big numbers compared to the 3cx/MF/ Ford etc
I presume the reason for this is that they were a cumbersome heavy yoke and the cabs rotted clean off most of them anyway

There was a good few of them around here at one time , mostly on self build jobs. Lots were cut up when the scrap prices were good.

Back