Recommended varietes list

Hard to believe mickle is a 5 for mildew

It and Propino and indeed Quintus all have the same rating though which was what was borne out around here at harvest this year. Surprised Propino is there for another year.

Hacker looks like a variety to watch. I could be wrong but I thought the yield percentage for Paustian and Planet was much higher compared to the other varieties?

Only two varieties on the Spring Wheat list doesn't instill much confidence either.

It and Propino and indeed Quintus all have the same rating though which was what was borne out around here at harvest this year. Surprised Propino is there for another year.

Hacker looks like a variety to watch. I could be wrong but I thought the yield percentage for Paustian and Planet was much higher compared to the other varieties?

Only two varieties on the Spring Wheat list doesn't instill much confidence either.

I can’t put my hand on last yrs spring list but the ratings for Paustian and Planet should be similar.

There should be one or two good new spring wheats next spring.

I taught propino stayed relatively clean around here in comparison to mickle with the mildew. Mickle and quintas could have got a zero around here. In field I felt planet yielded better than paustien alright. Just surprised that there is only 5% between planet and the lowest, I taught it would be a lot more but I suppose it's a 3 year average

It’s a high base yield too. 3.33tn/ac at 15% moisture content. 5% is 0.17tn more. Obviously more at 20% moisture. It’s a very respectable 3 year average but I guess it does include 15 & 17 which were very high yield years.

Spring barley yields have moved on a lot in recent years and it’s all needed.
I saw a coded spring barley variety beat Planet and Gangway by a good 6-7% in my screening trials this year. It yielded 4.3 tn/ ac at 20% mc. That’s a very good winter barley yield. The variety below it did 4.2tn.

I know the yields are based on a three year average but are the disease and crop characteristics also based on a 3 year average, that Might explain why some varieties have not dropped as much for Mildew as expected.

I know the yields are based on a three year average but are the disease and crop characteristics also based on a 3 year average, that Might explain why some varieties have not dropped as much for Mildew as expected.

Yes, you’re right Nash. The disease, grain data and straw ratings are based on the most recent harvest. (Probably more valid as it would take into account any deterioration in resistance.)

The Spring Cereal Recommended List 2019 was released today.
Some nice new additions in all crops.

Good Christmas reading So!:laugh:

Very decent performance from Isabel There, good to see another SW and lots of SB varieties.

What has been dropped?

Good Christmas reading So!:laugh:

Very decent performance from Isabel There, good to see another SW and lots of SB varieties.

What has been dropped?

Can’t think of anything dropped, too lazy to check.... Prospect has low GN too so suitable for distilling.

Why would they put varieties with no rhynco data on the list and a new provisional variety with a 5 for lodging and 4 for breakdown? Is that not a bit wreckless?

Why would they put varieties with no rhynco data on the list and a new provisional variety with a 5 for lodging and 4 for breakdown? Is that not a bit wreckless?
Same as Planet and it’s reccommended
Look at some of malting varieties from that point of view,
I blame @CORK and his thrill seeker varieties :whistle:

Same as Planet and it’s reccommended
Look at some of malting varieties from that point of view,
I blame @CORK and his thrill seeker varieties :whistle:

You’ll be blaming me for the weather & Brexit next.

I have a very thorough variety testing regime I’ll have you know young man.

From my own experience and taking to a few locals Gangway seems to have been a bit disappointing.Was than just a local thing or did people find that in other areas?

From my own experience and taking to a few locals Gangway seems to have been a bit disappointing.Was than just a local thing or did people find that in other areas?

I’d agree. Gangway is a slow developing and slightly later ripening variety. It didn’t like being sown late and having to be forced through its growth stages by the heat.
It didn’t look happy in my plots either.

That said, it has a great track record prior to this weird year and it has great straw strength and grain quality.

The Spring Cereal Recommended List 2019 was released today.
Some nice new additions in all crops.
Chilham looks like a good step forward for spring wheats, is it awned? A good dose of shortner looks like it would be needed but not an issue in SW. Did you have it in trials in 17? How did it deal with the mildew pressure? Any other comments on it?

Chilham looks like a good step forward for spring wheats, is it awned? A good dose of shortner looks like it would be needed but not an issue in SW. Did you have it in trials in 17? How did it deal with the mildew pressure? Any other comments on it?

No, it’s not awned.

It’s solid from a grain quality point of view, good kph and resistance to sprouting - pet subjects of mine.

Yes, I had it in 17 and it was much cleaner than many in terms of mildew.

Seed contracts available for harvest 19.

Can’t think of anything dropped, too lazy to check.... Prospect has low GN too so suitable for distilling.

Propino has been dropped. Decent variety In It's day But lacking behind In recent years Would Have been My thoughts On It.

Was debating sowing some Gangway along with Paustian this year. Cork, do you reckon Gangway is a worthy replacement in real terms even though it's a late ripened variety? Get on well with Paustian here but it's not miles ahead of Frontier.

Back