Start-up Contracting Pics

Collected the 3rd spreader this week & went straight into spreading 1200t of cattle muck

8884ED5F-56FD-4AAB-8EB3-20F2BF4D9FB0.jpeg

Really pleased with it so far. Although a bit smaller the tonnage difference between this one & the other 2 was only a couple of ton (I was expecting it to be a lot more). Might end buying bolt on extension sides for it so it’s the same as the other 2 but will see how it goes.

8A7C7054-2EC6-4354-BE44-549D2BFCF775.jpeg
C8B0F737-4B2B-4237-85DE-6D029812D9B3.jpeg

Didn’t get chance to get a picture of all 3 together until they were dropped into the next job ready for next week once the rain has passed.

9A809FB7-DAAB-4C22-8E49-6ADF6B43D11A.jpeg

Few pictures from over summer, although usually we’ve finished all the spreading by now & in the process of washing everything off but we’ve still got a good weeks worth to do despite starting on the first week of July (earlier than we ever had done). On a whole it’s gone pretty well, running 3 spreaders on the bigger jobs worked really well having the ability to send 1 spreader to a smaller job & keep 2 on the bigger jobs seemed to help keep on top of things.
Back onto winter jobs now - stockpiling & delivering muck, tankering & hedgecutting. Kit wise everything is staying the same & not really looking to change/buy anything - famous last words! (Despite our dealer parking one of our pumas next to an optum as a subtle hint) We have ended up putting a new slew ring in our Volvo 360 as although it’s only done about 8000 hours which isn’t much at all for its age it was showing signs of wear & started banging & clanging about so rather than change the machine we decided a new slew ring was the best way to go. We also had a set of brakes put in our 215 Puma which apart from a set of tyres this is the first time we’ve ever had to really put any money into it in 4 years, and seeing as it’s now done 9500 hours it hasn’t done too bad on the original set of brakes considering it’s on daily roadwork 10 months of the year.

2EF26D94-8FB9-4B78-8088-6DED3FF8B0A5.jpeg5E2C413B-720C-4715-AB8E-B9EAFF5162D8.jpegD3891FA7-BA72-4AAD-8D15-F6B42FCC9458.jpeg80440AFC-2010-4CB3-B3DD-35AA1AE373D6.jpegFDFF8022-38C8-4B41-89F5-E5FC596EDDA0.jpegA7BB8E4E-7A81-42B8-8BF9-B43A219B87EA.jpeg63BDA794-E4D6-47A5-87D2-5BABA089BD9B.jpeg7E3DC267-95F7-41AC-9BFE-37FDC605E6F9.jpeg9C6B6A54-EE51-4183-BB93-2FC9DCE7DD56.jpeg89CBA010-E1A5-46C6-9410-EEC067102F45.jpeg

Few pictures from over summer, although usually we’ve finished all the spreading by now & in the process of washing everything off but we’ve still got a good weeks worth to do despite starting on the first week of July (earlier than we ever had done). On a whole it’s gone pretty well, running 3 spreaders on the bigger jobs worked really well having the ability to send 1 spreader to a smaller job & keep 2 on the bigger jobs seemed to help keep on top of things.
Back onto winter jobs now - stockpiling & delivering muck, tankering & hedgecutting. Kit wise everything is staying the same & not really looking to change/buy anything - famous last words! (Despite our dealer parking one of our pumas next to an optum as a subtle hint) We have ended up putting a new slew ring in our Volvo 360 as although it’s only done about 8000 hours which isn’t much at all for its age it was showing signs of wear & started banging & clanging about so rather than change the machine we decided a new slew ring was the best way to go. We also had a set of brakes put in our 215 Puma which apart from a set of tyres this is the first time we’ve ever had to really put any money into it in 4 years, and seeing as it’s now done 9500 hours it hasn’t done too bad on the original set of brakes considering it’s on daily roadwork 10 months of the year.

View attachment 83708View attachment 83709View attachment 83710View attachment 83711View attachment 83712View attachment 83713View attachment 83714View attachment 83715View attachment 83716View attachment 83717
Are thinking of buying an Optima? :cool:
Great pics.

Are thinking of buying an Optima? :cool:
Great pics.

I would seriously consider one for the next tractor but the prices new are scary & second hand ones are still serious money so will probably have to wait a couple of years for the price to come down more. Thanks very much! :thumbup1:

View attachment 83708View attachment 83709View attachment 83710View attachment 83711View attachment 83712View attachment 83713View attachment 83714View attachment 83715View attachment 83716View attachment 83717

Is that lime the digger is loading

@Camerov How are the trucks going for you, are they earning their keep?

They have been a bit of a learning curve with all the regulations, paperwork & other stuff that comes with them but on a whole it’s not been a bad decision. I am toying with the idea of putting a liner in the body to move aggregate in just to open up a few more doors but at very early stages of that at the moment.

Thanks!

Really happy with the manitou, has totally transformed loading off of hard standing/concrete/clamps & is a hell of a bit of kit. The toe tip bucket definitely reduces loading times as well & is proving to be a perfect match.
Why did you go from using a Volvo shovel to the manitou?

Do you fill the spreader fully when spreading lime?

No we usually put around 7-8t/load in as it sits between the slats more than muck so makes it harder for the bed to turn if you put too much which sets pressure relief valve off if that makes sense

No we usually put around 7-8t/load in as it sits between the slats more than muck so makes it harder for the bed to turn if you put too much which sets pressure relief valve off if that makes sense
Ya I tried a couple of loads and got on fine but only half filled spreader as well.Spread it perfect actually

Been a while since I updated this, but with the last few months/winter being so wet again it’s been pretty much just stockpiling muck & putting slurry/dirty water into lagoons.

6FE0D370-E3D2-4FF5-80FB-011684209D2E.jpeg
The dry weather last week & early this week helped us get some spreading done - just got to wait for it to dry up again before we can start spreading chicken muck on growing crops which we’ve got in the region of 3500t to do.

1E069CB0-0331-4596-A5C5-568AF8396304.jpeg356ACAE7-3F61-4BF2-8E85-70A462720653.jpegAEC95406-796F-4E81-95E3-53A65BD36B19.jpeg

Machinery wise I’ve made a couple of purchases for a new contract with a pig farm. First was a major 3000 gallon tanker which has had an easy life & is a really good spec, so far we’ve used it & it spreads really well - unfortunately I didn’t manage to get any pictures tho of it working. The second is an umbilical system which came with the contract which I haven’t used yet & doubt it’ll get used until next year unless it comes too wet to travel with the tanker.

445A10A3-2176-424E-95B9-B4ED3E3A8D62.jpeg35CC823F-082B-4D6D-BA4E-B4B28AA27B69.jpeg326CF4A7-A3A0-4670-A320-F00ABE5CA886.jpegD8A5C0C7-0B4F-4908-9CDF-91EAD8D0EABF.jpeg5A375BC4-D8F7-42B5-A9B2-C97AEB66912D.jpeg

I keep toying with the idea/feel I should be upgrading the tractors with them all now around the 9-10000 hour mark & busy most days however they’re costing us very little to run & barely let us down so I’m struggling to see the point of getting rid of them to pay a load of finance on new ones when the ones I have do the job perfectly fine & are in good condition/presentable.
Contracting wise I can’t see much else being bought this year unless an opportunity/contract comes up, however I
am now taking on half the family farm which had been rented out for the last 15 years (other half still rented out) so that will require some investment for the plans I’ve got for it. Currently it consists of ripping the old fences out & putting up new ones which now is much easier since I purchased a Quickfencer. So far I’ve only done about 250m out of 3 miles to
do as I’m trying to do it when I get a couple of hours spare or quieter day which always seems rare when you’ve got other stuff to do! The idea is before I get any stock to get the fences back up to standard, it’s all permanent pasture which has been grazed by sheep for the last 20 years so last autumn I got a couple of fields direct drilled into which seems to have worked fairly well so will look into getting the rest done later this year.

As usual, been a while since this was updated!

First off bought a 5t digger
9E5CE758-0754-4B29-BEF1-50963B593A86.jpeg

Never really had much to do with Doosan having driven mainly Kubota, Jcb & Volvo mini diggers but the deal was too good to turn down. So far really impressed with it & is currently on a large ditching job for a local estate. Wasn’t really planning on buying new however with a few fair sized projects in the pipeline I decided buying rather than hiring was a cheaper option & finding a good second hand one that hasn’t been trashed proved difficult.

Then bought some cattle
347F9CAA-7B2A-4B6D-9706-F8AB184284E2.png

Not everyone’s cup of tea but I like to try to be/do something different to everyone else. Plan is to build numbers up & supply beef boxes. Currently there seems to be a good demand however everyone is doing the same thing (Angus etc) so I thought I’d go down a different route with highlands. Downsides to it is it’ll take a couple of years to get fully into & the threat of tb is a constant worry/problem but it’s a nice change to running round like an idiot on machines.

Agricultural kit wise I can’t see much changing, I’d like to change the 2 tankers we currently run for one with a 24m dribble bar etc however I can’t justify new so will have to wait for a good secondhand one to turn up. I’d still like to upgrade some tractors but holding off to see what happens over here with the new spreading rules as it’s going to absolutely kill the job off.

Truck kit wise I’m looking to upgrade one to start with, the last year has been a nightmare with the poultry litter work due to brexit, covid, bird flu & a general lack of organisation has meant the work now goes ridiculously busy for a few works then drops right off whereas the last 7+ years I’ve been doing it it’s been stable regular work. Looking forward I can’t see it getting better anytime soon (again depending on these new spreading rules & regs it’ll be harder to spread it & sell it anyway) & getting fed up of the instability of the work I’m looking to change one of the trucks for a 3 year old normal bodied tipper to go on aggregate work, there’s a massive demand locally for them & already been offered work from various different people due to large construction projects going on I think/hope it’ll be a good diversification & should be more stable regular work

Firstly I hope you’ve all had a good Christmas, as usual been a long time since I’ve updated this but there’s been a fair bit of change over the last 12 months which just seems to have flown by.

Contracting side.
Biggest change is after 8 years of being involved in chicken muck I decided to stop in July this year. Main reasons was some farms got sold off & the other owners weren’t organised at all & the other was the price they wanted for the muck was ridiculous - nearly 8 times more than what we were paying & our customers weren’t going to pay it so long story short I basically told them to stick it so we’ll now just do muck spreading & the odd bit of trailer work here & there.
Next thing was I sold the umbilical kit, we never used it since owning it & it was an insurance policy incase it was too wet for the tanker, however I got sick of looking at it & couldn’t see the point of having something sat in the yard for a ‘just incase’ scenario for mostly somebody else’s benefit. I also sold our 4000 gallon hispec tanker as we didn’t need to run 2 tankers anymore, and although the major is a 1000 gallons less, it’s got rear linkage etc whereas the hispec didn’t, so thought it was more future proof to hold onto the major rather than the hispec with no linkage.
Contracting kit wise going forward the only thing I can see me buying is a dribble bar for the major in the future, everything else will stay & just be maintained.

The lifelong plan with the contracting was to push/built it up the best I could, but to end up with some hopefully half decent kit which isn’t worn out & has no finance on it, which is what I’ve done & feel I’ve achieved everything (and more!) I set out to do with it just over 10 years ago, however moving forwards I can’t see much of a future. Kit price is gone through the roof along with the fuel, there’s less staff about who want to sit on tractors especially dealing with muck & it seems harder & harder to get paid for the work you’ve done, so now we’ll just spread for the the customers I’ve decided to keep using a couple of good self employed guys rather running round like idiots all summer chasing every last ton of muck because the overheads/runnings costs were so much higher - trying to work smarter & all that but also freeing up some time for me to focus on other things which will be below.

Trucks.
Both blue dafs will be up for sale in the new year (bargain to be had if anyone is interested!) As they have both been replaced by other trucks, first one is a 2018 410hp Volvo Fmx

644DF03D-39D1-4BAC-9133-FB3FD19A3FA1.jpeg
Second one (any probably my favourite!) is a 2018 500hp Scania XT

BF4B0DE3-FE39-4F60-B78A-4D74F33CA5CB.jpeg

Both have been on muckaway/aggregate work for 10 months now & seems to be going well, nice to have steady day in day out not weather depending work unlike the ag contracting, can’t see me expanding it massively but will see what opportunities come up.

Farm.
I’ve increased the cattle up to 44 inc young stock & a bull, which some came from the same place as the original lot, and the others come off the Scottish highlands which are with the bull first & due to calve in June.

1E3BF775-1D44-40E9-A4D1-EE204B54C2BB.jpeg471F5BF3-C668-41BB-A7ED-2F452D101173.jpegB92D147B-1885-41BC-A644-1B4286252553.jpeg
C2938C61-83C7-4D44-A94E-762E92349D47.jpeg
The amount of interest locally is unreal, we set up a Facebook page due to the interest:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100080770879187

and still get people standing looking/taking pictures of them for hours on end along with people wanting to come to see them. The first ones should be ready to go in about 8 months time which means we’ll start getting sorted/prepared for that early next year. The plan is to covert a shipping container into somewhere the beef boxes can be packed, labelled etc & also collected. This is what I want to push/focus on more, offering something different to others direct to the customer & already have a waiting list for meat boxes.
I’m on the hunt for a second hand (ideally) spread a bale for next winter, bedding up by hand is a pain & time consuming, and whilst we out winter them, they can come in & out of sheds as they want so a spread a bale should make the job a bit easier & quicker.
Fencing wise we’ve now completed the boundary of 100ac where our yard is & the cattle are at the moment, the new year will consist of doing all the internal fences on that block of ground before we move to the other block of 120ac mid next year to do all those fences - think we’ve got about another 10000m to go. However, not one to do things the same as everyone else, due to the way tb is going we badger netted the whole boundary where our yard is & will be doing the same on the other block of ground. I think locally people probably think I’ve lost the plot, but not one to worry what others think I ploughed on & bought a protect post knocker for the doosan & started digging!

233B3DDE-3445-44E8-9961-774B62E43DC0.jpeg

Not many thought it would work, we have no badgers on our land but to put it bluntly, we get raped by the neighbours badgers either side one of which has had major tb problems. The idea is the wire is like an L shape, with the bottom part of the L buried to stop them digging under & the wire spacing being much closer together so they can’t push through, and the results have been incredible. We used to have grass fields which looked like they had been ploughed, but since the new fence has been installed there’s been no activity at all, we’ve been putting cameras up to monitor as we went along & there’s been none come in since the fences went up so although much more time consuming to erect than a normal fence, the benefits long term will be worth it reducing the risk of tb as we won’t buy anymore cattle in, only a bull will be changed when he comes round onto his daughters.
Moving forwards as mentioned before we’ve got a fair bit of fencing to do. We’ve got one cattle shed to put up in the new year along with planning granted for 2 more sheds & muck store which were meant to be pig sheds, but due to the pig industry going the way it has I can’t see me doing that now so I think I’ll end up using them for cattle instead, although I can’t see them going up for at least another year. Im also on the hunt for a tractor drawn stock box which seem like rocking horse poo second hand, I had a price for a new Stewart & fell over due to the price, whilst I’m sure they’re worth it I can’t justify one on the amount of moving about we’ll do so considering a Rolland drop to the floor type.

As mentioned at the start there’s been a fair bit of change over the last 12 months, moving forwards I’ll maintain the contracting work we currently do but not really push to take on more which will allow me to focus more on the farm & the plans I’ve got for it, which may take a couple of years to get it to where I’d like but hopefully one day get there! I should also have more time now to keep this updated more often, although it’ll probably be more farm/kit related rather than contracting/kit related if that’s of any interest!

First time seeing this thread, you seem like a real get up and go sort of person, alot of hard work ahead but hard work pays off and I wish you all the best sir.

Thank you very much! :thumbup1: It will be a hell of a lot of hard work, I’m just hoping it’ll be less stressful than it was trying to build the contracting business up 🤣

As usual been a bit quiet, mainly due to some big (ish!) changes I’ve decided to make & just being generally manic with stuff!

Where to begin 🤔. Firstly I’ve decided to stop running trucks & both are up for sale. I’ve given it a go, it’s an itch I’ve scratched however it’s not for me, it’s the most backwards industry I’ve ever been involved in, everybody wants to try to shaft you for money at best, people don’t pay you & it generally seems a total load of nonsense. I haven’t really got the time anymore to put into them & think life will be much easier & also less stressful without them.

The contracting side of things I’ve scaled back massively, my ‘diversification’ which I’ll go into shortly has took off to the point I’ve got to really probably consider which way I’m going to go in the future as they do clash a bit. We are still doing spreading but just on a smaller scale, there is a lot of people with new flash kit now who run around cheap to try to get enough work to pay their finance each month which is killing it a bit, that along with the decrease in bps payments causing some farms to start going into stewardship schemes rather that growing crops again decreases the workload, and also 3 fair sized customers going out of dairy/cattle means there is less workload. The way these new schemes are designed & the lack of payments/support for farmers is starting to make me question what is going to happen in a couple of years down the line when payments have changed & if there is going to be much demand for contracting services we currently offer.

Onto to my diversification! So the original plan with the cattle was beef boxes, however I came up with a brainwave & that idea has now been abandoned. As previously mentioned, everybody kept stopping & taking pictures of the cows, so I came up with the idea of opening to the public & charging people to come & see them. A bit like my contracting idea many years ago, I didn’t think it would take off or get to the scale it is at the moment. So to see if there was any interest the idea was floated on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100080770879187 asking people to send in an email address so we could put them on a list & just gain some idea of what the demand would be. I expected around 30 emails max, within 24 hours we had received over 270 emails! It was at that point I thought I needed to take the idea more seriously, so went out & bought a shipping container, tarted it up a bit so it was more presentable for people when they arrive. Also added a bit of a shop/gifts which also seem to fly out the door. https://fb.watch/n4pr7UGT3v/

Then set up a website https://colreadyhighlands.co.uk where people can book (although it does seem to sell out very quickly) since opening on 2nd July we’ve had over 1500 people come, some from down the road, some coming from 4 hours away, it has been absolutely mind blowing & seriously busy, to the point I think we’re having a big delivery of highland cuddly toys every 2 weeks! It’s that had that much interest we’ve made it into a couple of papers https://www.daventryexpress.co.uk/w...-ever-growing-herd-of-highland-cattle-4276145 & https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/...Fio6ZB38nlI7Dy9I-yqFGyKoQtnzbuB6wQ43OT4q79Zrw

It’s gone that mental we’ve also had a model come for a photoshoot for a major designer clothes brand who wanted highlands in the background. So far people seem to love it, with some already booking to come again, reviews seem to be really good & generally taken off & going in a really good direction. We usually do a couple of sessions a day, which last an hour & a half each with a group around 12-15 people. Although it’s been a big learning curve especially due the amount of demand there’s been for it, it does seem a much easier way of life compared to contracting 🤣

Back