Straw Prices

It's dung here, no slurry at all. Maybe it's half imagination but I've often noticed that when reseeding here vs the brothers place that there seems to be more earth worms here. In the silage ground that is where the dung gets spread.

It's dung here, no slurry at all. Maybe it's half imagination but I've often noticed that when reseeding here vs the brothers place that there seems to be more earth worms here. In the silage ground that is where the dung gets spread.

Slurry does tend to kill worms alright so perhaps that's why you are seeing that.

Slurry does tend to kill worms alright so perhaps that's why you are seeing that.

I always thought that, there a lad writing in the IFJ this week says that the amount killed by slurry is minimal and what you see on the surface is about 1% of the worm population.

I would tend to agree that slurry is hard on earthworms. They're an extremely important part of soil structure, as I once heard them referred to as nature's subsoiler.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Guy near me who has pigs puts a hell of a lot of it out for maize and beet and the soil is just stone dead, not a worm in sight, the crows or seagulls don't even bother landing there when it's being ploughed

See prices as low as 6 euro for round barley straw on done deal .

Anyone any prices yet.?

Anyone any prices yet.?

€6 and bale it yourself?
It will be €12 for barley straw around here or it will be chopped.
Good amount of straw chopped already, i predict straw will be dear next winter, 3 crop rule has seen an increase in the area of beans and rape at the expense of spring barley in many situations, there are more combines chopping this year than other years, on top of that the harvest has barley started, weather is not great and next week is not looking great either, bit early to be counting the chickens..

€6 and bale it yourself?
It will be €12 for barley straw around here or it will be chopped.
Good amount of straw chopped already, i predict straw will be dear next winter, 3 crop rule has seen an increase in the area of beans and rape at the expense of spring barley in many situations, there are more combines chopping this year than other years, on top of that the harvest has barley started, weather is not great and next week is not looking great either, bit early to be counting the chickens..

No its baled at that. Colected in field.

Fodder is plentifull and theres straw in sheds from last year.

Lads wont chop if its rented ground or they need cashflow.

Be worth filling the sheds if its cheap.

Is there much straw in sheds? Not much left in sheds around me. Was looking like there was going to be a good carry over, but in the end was strong demand from the start of April right through to harvest for feeding straw.

I think there is going to more of a demand for straw as harvest progresses, as the realisation that straw is not just as plentiful as everyone thinks.

Doing a good job of talking it down in the journal today.

Anyone selling straw for €6/ bale is selling dung or needs their head examined.

Anyone any prices yet.?

I see some guy in Kildare talking about 7.50. That doesn't bode well for us yella bellies with the greater transport bill to the North which is probably the biggest customer.

Is there much straw in sheds? Not much left in sheds around me. Was looking like there was going to be a good carry over, but in the end was strong demand from the start of April right through to harvest for feeding straw.

I think there is going to more of a demand for straw as harvest progresses, as the realisation that straw is not just as plentiful as everyone thinks.

i dont see much if any in sheds either. a lot of big reeks of big bales destined for mushrooms alright tho left over from last year

Saw that add , bit of a spin to Waterford for straw [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12] straw is cheap at the moment but was talking to my baler man in athy , lots of headlands chopped and one grower chopped 350 acres of barley straw . The chopped acres will add up very quickly . Agree with ithastopay about the three crop lots of straw gone there to , were not big growers but next year we will have 50 acre of beans and there is a lot to of them sown this year , barley straw might be cheap at the moment but wheatin straw is scarce which will pull up the market when it starts and at the same time as the spring barley . It's goin to be hard to get nice dry w barley straw , a neighbour rang me last week to prob some straw that looked very good and was bought right !! , when the prob starts beeping it's a bad sign and it wasn't one or two bales , it wasn't great value then .

Last year we put over a 1000 rounds in sheds, first time we ever had to shed straw, it was all gone before the end of the winter.
I don't think there is as much straw in sheds as some farmers think, there may appear to be plenty of fodder made now, but things can change winter could come a few weeks early and things will be very different next spring, farmers have short memories, not long ago there were farmers complaining of not having enough fodder and cattle were starving.

It must be regional then. There are not many yards in Wexford that you could go to that are completely empty.

But as a user as well, at this stage and given the forecast I'm kind of glad we have some left in the shed still....

Saw that add , bit of a spin to Waterford for straw [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12] straw is cheap at the moment but was talking to my baler man in athy , lots of headlands chopped and one grower chopped 350 acres of barley straw . The chopped acres will add up very quickly . Agree with ithastopay about the three crop lots of straw gone there to , were not big growers but next year we will have 50 acre of beans and there is a lot to of them sown this year , barley straw might be cheap at the moment but wheatin straw is scarce which will pull up the market when it starts and at the same time as the spring barley . It's goin to be hard to get nice dry w barley straw , a neighbour rang me last week to prob some straw that looked very good and was bought right !! , when the prob starts beeping it's a bad sign and it wasn't one or two bales , it wasn't great value then .

A sure i know. And they could be sponge balls too. Quality if the main thing when bedding calves and feeding. If you have some to sell drop me a pm. was happy with the last load.

Saw 8x4x4 and rounds made near me, no where near dry enough, just getting ground cleared with no regard for the buyer.

Last year we put over a 1000 rounds in sheds, first time we ever had to shed straw, it was all gone before the end of the winter.
I don't think there is as much straw in sheds as some farmers think, there may appear to be plenty of fodder made now, but things can change winter could come a few weeks early and things will be very different next spring, farmers have short memories, not long ago there were farmers complaining of not having enough fodder and cattle were starving.

Yip farmers forget fierce quick. You can never have too much fodder.

Better looking at it than looking for it.

Yip farmers forget fierce quick. You can never have too much fodder.

Better looking at it than looking for it.

An extra bale of hay or straw per cow, wouldn't cost to much, 100 cow herd, €2000 worth of feed, in the bigger scheme of things it's not much money, build up a reserve and maintain it. Having extra fodder is the better than having money in a bank.

It must be regional then. There are not many yards in Wexford that you could go to that are completely empty.

But as a user as well, at this stage and given the forecast I'm kind of glad we have some left in the shed still....

We get most loads away on empty lorrys returning north after tipping in Dublin and surrounding areas. They all have the diesel worked out to the last, it costs a bit more to travel further south so straw has to bought a bit more keenly.

It's true what you say though, no harm to have a bit left in the shed for insurance.

€11 off the field same as every year it doesn't go up or down and plenty loyal customers. What lads are forgetting looking waiting for the cheap straw is that winter barley acreage is well up on last year and spring barley down coupled with predicted light crops of siding barley straw and winter barley crops although yielding well straw volume is back on last year so in another week a big scelp of "straw" harvest will be over with plenty of that chopped. The beans and osr will be chopped and wheat mopped up by diet feeder and mushroom guys and it's easy to talk to the oats as countrywide it's not a big crop. I wouldn't sell it cheap, bale in good order and stick it in a shed, it will shift. The lad selling for €6 a bale would want a fair kick in d arse

How's winter barley straw baling out this year? Was watching a neighbour baling today and bales seemed a bit scarce in the field. Nothing cut here yet, still waiting for contractor!

I had a straw chopper for sale for the father-in-law, sold it on Tuesday but never took it off DD and the phone is hopping the last couple of days for it. Could have sold it 4 or 5 times. Everyone has the same story, the talk of cheap straw has their minds made up to chop instead. I'd agree with previous posts, straw won't be as plentiful as people think and the bulk of barley straw will be dealt with in the next week weather permitting. I'll be adopting the usual approach with my own bit anyway, €12 off the field and whatever hasn't shifted after a couple of weeks will go into a shed. It was all gone by Christmas last year.

Lads always look into the yards full of stuff but never take any notice of the ones that were empty.
Winter could come the end of august.
It might not go until next may.
I dont know how many lads have said there will be hardly no silage made this year.
Whats going to happen it all the land for silage will just be left there.?
Id rather be looking at feed than looking for it

Sent from my D2203 using Tapatalk

Another thing too is if (and hopefully it won't), the weather stays mixed for baking, more straw will need to be turned and I don't know about others but anytime we did that at home we always ended up with less bales as a result and indeed brissier straw.

Back