Tandem or single axel

Maxwell

Wonder should I buy tandem axel 3000g Vacum tanker or more standard 2500g , we do slit of road work and I thought tandem would be a lot more stable at 50kph, either would be fitted with dribble bar... Would tandem be better or worse on land ??

Wonder should I buy tandem axel 3000g Vacum tanker or more standard 2500g , we do slit of road work and I thought tandem would be a lot more stable at 50kph, either would be fitted with dribble bar... Would tandem be better or worse on land ??
Tandem is far and away the better option on the road, as for in field it depends on how you spec them, what tyres would you be fitting if going tandem?

If you a do a lot of roadwork, isn't the bigger tanker a no brained with wide wheels?

More capacity, much smoother ride with no bouncing...

Tandem axel would be more comfortable and stable. With the right wheels it be very good on the ground to. I don’t know the price but I believe a tandem axel with large wide wheels will be a lot more expensive than a single axel. So really comes down to how much you want to spend.

Tandem for comfort on long draws . But the price difference between tandem and single axle is massive. Have a tandem in work on 550 Tyres . When going again it would be speced with 650 or 700 Tyres min .

Bought a 2600 lgp major did one load and sold it,it wouldn't have been long before it was on its side,I would only buy a single axle lgp tanker if in a ring fence and no road work,only other way I'd have one is with a pram axle fitted.

Recovered a 2000g redrock one day,tanker barrel rolled across the road :eek3:if anyone coming the other way they would have been dead,the same tanker was rolled 3 times over its life on the same section of road.

Bought a 2600 lgp major did one load and sold it,it wouldn't have been long before it was on its side,I would only buy a single axle lgp tanker if in a ring fence and no road work,only other way I'd have one is with a pram axle fitted.

Recovered a 2000g redrock one day,tanker barrel rolled across the road :eek3:if anyone coming the other way they would have been dead,the same tanker was rolled 3 times over its life on the same section of road.
Single axle is fine if driven sensibly, although 2600 majors are a lot less stable than the 2400s

What happened to the tankers with the axle through them that came out a few years ago? They kind of looked like they’d take over completely. Were they any better than the normal single axle job?

Single axle is fine if driven sensibly, although 2600 majors are a lot less stable than the 2400s

Theres way too much tyre depth,if they blow out there over,pair of 3000s with pram axles nearby pulled by fastracs and they have stayed upright without any problems.

There isn't a single axle LPG tanker sold that is rated for higher than 30kph towing that I know of,they have a place just not hoofing around at speed.

What are pram axles
Theres way too much tyre depth,if they blow out there over,pair of 3000s with pram axles nearby pulled by fastracs and they have stayed upright without any problems.

There isn't a single axle LPG tanker sold that is rated for higher than 30kph towing that I know of,they have a place just not hoofing around at speed.

Fair number of tractors used on slurry aren't legal above 30kph either

Rolled a 2050 major twice on some hilly ground damm dangerous took out the 3phase line to the coop the last time . That's the reason we went tandem

You don't do things by half measures down there :scared:

Didnt major do a tank like that at one stage . Is that your own outfit . I take it the second axle is from your own workshop

http://walmsleytractors.com/machinery/major-challenger-slurry-tanker/

Don't see it on their own site now :undecided:

Don't see it on their own site now :undecided:[/QUOTE]

Couldn't find it either possibly too expensive compared to normal tandem

Back