Variable Rate P & K

I can't see the connection between those results and those recommendations.
If it was mine I would be buying 44 ton of 0/10/20 or 10/10/20, whichever suits best or is best value and spreading at 300kg/ha in the fields with the worst results over the years and reducing to 250kg/ha on the areas with the higher results.
Looks to me that only the "13 acres" needs extra MOP, I would go with a big bag (1/2ton) across the 13 acres.

There must have been pigs on that field for 100 years to have it that good.
There was a lot of Pigs and sheep and poultry fed on that field . In Dowth on the Devenish farm they had high fertility fields where cattle were wintered a 1000 years ago .

There was a lot of Pigs and sheep and poultry fed on that field . In Dowth on the Devenish farm they had high fertility fields where cattle were wintered a 1000 years ago .
You’d wonder was the field good because the cattle were outwintered there or were the cattle outwintered there because the field was good.

Having spent two days analysing the SOYL soil tests and maps the P levels in the last five years have increased by almost 3 PPM . Over the five years it has cost me 70K in 0-10-20 and heading for a million gallons of Cattle slurry hauled in . In general most of the farm is on the cusp of index 4 with some already at 4 but a few fields in the low threes . Some fields that had a variation in P in them are more even now . I did not use any GPS to do this but had the Map beside me in the tractor .
We did a few samples with I.A.S in 2017 and these have shown significantly about25% or more higher P levels than the SOYL tests . This could be due to sampling method as SOYL go to 15CM and we are in mintill and while we might till to that depth we would not be mixing much .

Potash levels are adequate or in index 4 and I suspect chopping the Oaten straw has contributed to this . I did use some Muriate of Potash but not in significant quantities . The Potash levels have not changed much in the five years .

The maps show that I do not need Lime at the moment but in the next five years some lime will have to be spread . In two to three years time we will have to spread some lime . In most fields 70% of the field area have a PH of 7 but some fields have significant areas of 6.5 and these fields are in Oats heading for Winter Wheat next year so the autumn after the Winter wheat should be a good time to look at that . We marked out the fields for lime spreading five years ago and comparing maps it seems to have worked .
Magnesium levels seem to be high except for some moory alkaline fields .

Back