Straw Spreaders / Bedders

Those that have them, any respiratory problems with dust and any issues with flying stones?
No respiratory trouble here so far, starting the 4th winter with the same cattle...I bed over them, some walk away, some follow the chopper for a scratch.

Have an airy house, & the combine has chaff spreaders fitted which leaves the straw swath a lot cleaner....

was told of a local farmer who got rid of his chopper because it was too dusty.

Stones....get the odd one....was worse the first year, if you are baling your own straw you can run the pickup a little higher which makes a lot of difference,

tho some men cut it that low you have to go down for it...plus if there is a stone you get a bit of warning & can get the flap up or down so as not to hit them....

first year I lost a few blades which would worry me more :crying:, chopped silage that year but never found any in the passage.

It could be fun with bought in straw...brother in law was at a place where the sheds were done with fibre cement sheets....

he asked the fella why all the holes down 1 side?, oh that's just the stones from the straw chopper :sweatdrop:.

I don't fancy the idea of getting into a pen with a bull to roll out bales :no:....have felt the draught of a hoof going past at eye level a couple of times while hand bedding the calves, & they are only messing :001_unsure:.

Bought a 20 year old Barrell Tomahawk to try 3 years ago. Use it 365 days a year, probably put 1800 bales through it. Reckon its saved a lot of straw (20% at least) I bed over the beast with no ill effects but not foosty straw Cattle courts are 40-50ft but drive on 1000 shaft;). Looking for a decent second hand trailed Primor now.

Taarup would be same as KV:confused1: which I am told by mate used to take some driving and blocked easily 832 rings a bell for model.

Cheers BB

I've had a Teagle 8080 for 5-6 years I use it every day (summer and winter) and am very pleased with it.
It will even feed round bale haylage into a trough ( but for that you need to keep the knives sharp. I don't know what HP the manufacturers recommend but 80 HP copes well.

Interesting to see some users of the barrell choppers here - I'd be interested to know what you are driving them with.

Jay Dee, I guess your's is on the 885?

Used to have a west bale chopper, 70hp ran it grand, would work with alot less, only used to chop for the diet feeder, wouldnt blow over a feed rail though:no: do you want to drive into the sheds or just along the feed passage?

Interesting to see some users of the barrell choppers here - I'd be interested to know what you are driving them with.

Jay Dee, I guess your's is on the 885?
Yeah, 885 on the 1000 shaft to get the throw...

[YOUTUBE]2Qb60sSpmEs[/YOUTUBE]

Tis a thing of beauty and a joy to behold!........ Got a demo Kuhn coming to try her out on. Better clean the radiator first though.

Grand vid there Jay Dee, for something as mundane as bedding beasts. Like the idea of dropping the water pipe from the roof but I reckon it would be pretty prone to frost, have you insulated it after last years prblems.

Cheers BB

191111493_photobucket_39175_.jpg

Last edited:
That yoke looks to earn her keep BB :thumbup1:

Pipes froze this past 2 winters...thawed them with the space heater the first time, last year we just left them.

We don't generally get hard frosts...but if they continue we may have to do something to them.

Had betsy the 785 on the demo Kuhn. Worked it no bother a couple of coughs when I speeded up the floor but easier to drive than the barrel in year old wheat straw. Straw spread instead of chopped unlike the barrell and blasted it right out to the wall of the 40ft court.

Looking for a secondhand Kuhn now but no rush.

Cheers BB

i'm looking for one of this, to feed shep with silage on bales, the baler is a JD 572 without chopper, and i'm worried because, maybe the bedder couldnt cut the silage, (its long silage) and maybe i could spend the money and dont make anything with that....

I was looking something, second hand, on linkage, and around 3000 €

Something like this.... for example...

http://www.agriaffaires.es/usado/empajadora/1937246/kuhn-primor.html

http://www.agriaffaires.es/usado/empajadora/804813/techmagri.html

http://www.agriaffaires.es/usado/empajadora/2154854/kuhn-primor.html

http://www.agriaffaires.es/usado/empajadora/1829080/kuhn-primor.html

Im from spain, and need it on linkage to move the tractor to feed the cows too, that there is in other village.

Do you know if one of this could feed the silage well, or without broke anything?

Last edited:
we had a teagle tomahawk but traded it after 2 seasons for a lucas trailed one with cable control.very good machine had it on 100hp styer for a long time blew straw 4 spans into the wind somedays.have it on tm140 now.kehoes are trying to push a mchale on us but they are both the same machine as the court case will tell u.:lol::lol::whistling:

What's the story in the cheap and cheerful market lads?

Would need to do the following:

Chute to go over a 6ft barrier
Blow back a shed 40ft deep plus over a bale in the front of the barrier
Would prefer a spreader than a chopper
Driven in 540rpm by a 64hp tractor.

Answers on a postcard!

Kuhn primor has my vote. Just be sure to check the floor chains very carefully. Ours did spit the dummy when a floor slat wound up in the rotor. But that was a freak accident more than a weakness.
Hasnt needed anything else in 6 odd years.

Should be pleanty on the market with little enough done.
As for chopping v bedding. Chopping versions just have combine knives bolted on the cross drum. Hour with the socet set would have them off. Although it doesnt chop too much with them.

What's the story in the cheap and cheerful market lads?

Would need to do the following:

Chute to go over a 6ft barrier
Blow back a shed 40ft deep plus over a bale in the front of the barrier
Would prefer a spreader than a chopper
Driven in 540rpm by a 64hp tractor.

Answers on a postcard!
Can recommend the Lucas Raptor but you'd be struggling for hydraulic flow to drive the rotor; this needs minimum of 35 lts/min to operate successfully. Don't know if the 3600 would have this? Also it would need to be trailed, you'd be surprised how much any bedder/blower can weigh with just a bale of straw when it's being carried that far back in the 3 pl.
MF30

Back