Straw Spreaders / Bedders

forget about straw and get yerself some recycled wood chippings, has a little plastic in it aswell but when it's for the taking in the summer ye canny go wrong:thumbup: it's is great stuff for bedding stays really dry for ages and very easy worked with.

off topic i know but just trying to send ye in the proper direction;), don't think many people know about the stuff so keep it under yer hats and it'll not jump to 100euro a load:sneaky2:
Oh yea btw this was the wrong direction :scratchhead:

Can recommend the Lucas Raptor but you'd be struggling for hydraulic flow to drive the rotor; this needs minimum of 35 lts/min to operate successfully. Don't know if the 3600 would have this? Also it would need to be trailed, you'd be surprised how much any bedder/blower can weigh with just a bale of straw when it's being carried that far back in the 3 pl.
MF30
Next door have a raptor too. They seem to have had a good run with theirs also. Plus theirs has its own hydraulic system run from the Pto. So worth watching out for.

Trailed is the only way to go.

Kuhn primor has my vote. Just be sure to check the floor chains very carefully. Ours did spit the dummy when a floor slat wound up in the rotor. But that was a freak accident more than a weakness.
Hasnt needed anything else in 6 odd years.

Should be pleanty on the market with little enough done.
As for chopping v bedding. Chopping versions just have combine knives bolted on the cross drum. Hour with the socet set would have them off. Although it doesnt chop too much with them.

Winters coming ,,,, the choppers are out,,,,

What's the story in the cheap and cheerful market lads?

Would need to do the following:

Chute to go over a 6ft barrier
Blow back a shed 40ft deep plus over a bale in the front of the barrier
Would prefer a spreader than a chopper
Driven in 540rpm by a 64hp tractor.

Answers on a postcard!

AS AYF has pointed out a good used Kuhn Primor would do you rght, trouble is finding a good used one, by the time they come to be replaced they will have given their best, usually the beds give up, the rest is fairLy bullet proof,
Our was a 3 point links originally but we got an axle n draw bar welded on so we could use big squares n it's been no bother,
Do t bother getting a Primor with the chopper option all the combine knife blades will do is piss you off when it blocks up in the dark one wet morning,,,
64 ponies at the PTO should drive it ok, as you will know when it's thinking about dying as the engine will let you know,,
Would an old Teague tomahawk not do the tpjob if your just using rounds???

AS AYF has pointed out a good used Kuhn Primor would do you rght, trouble is finding a good used one, by the time they come to be replaced they will have given their best, usually the beds give up, the rest is fairLy bullet proof,
Our was a 3 point links originally but we got an axle n draw bar welded on so we could use big squares n it's been no bother,
Do t bother getting a Primor with the chopper option all the combine knife blades will do is piss you off when it blocks up in the dark one wet morning,,,
64 ponies at the PTO should drive it ok, as you will know when it's thinking about dying as the engine will let you know,,
Would an old Teague tomahawk not do the tpjob if your just using rounds???

Still don't know how you had so much trouble with yours!

Only ever blocked ours 4 times, once with silage, once I hadn't realised where the chute was and jammed it solid, other was the very middle of a round bale of reeds and grass that had gone hard and decided to jump into the horizontal rotor last one was because of the floor slat winding up in the main rotor!! All the others were easily cleared!!

Mate of mine says avoid Kvernland machines, might just be his moddle (not sure which one but isn't young!) but he has to run it in 750rpm to get the straw a decent distance, he saw mine working and realised how bad his is!

Other point is do buy with a swivel chute, some older machines have solid chutes, best avoided IMO, just not the same

Sorry lads only getting back to reply to this now.

I will be all night replying to quotes so I will try and capture everything here.

Was hoping to drive it with the 3000 rather than the 3600 as it has more power, that bit tidier around the yard and the PTO clutch is a bit better in her! That may rule out some of these choppers/shredders though due to hydraulic capacity as mf30 says.

I'm not sure if a trailed would work in our situation, we have one narrow shed where you'd have to turn in to blow over the barrier. The only way a trailed would work there is if it would blow back over itself??

I must say I do like KV's former steed, it seems nice and compact even if it's trailed. Sadly I'd imagine looking at Donedeal, it's outside the scope.

Vern, I was actually thinking of a barrel Tomohawk myself! These can be got with castors which allow the use of a smaller tractor. However, I did read today that in order to get 15m, you need 1000rpm and that's not something which is available, anyone confirm this? Say for a 4040.

Anyone using an older Taarup, drum type machine, some model numbers 806 or 807? Does anybody know the throw on these? Kidd are now manufacturing them.

These machines do seem to hold their value well and unfortunately the budget wouldn't stretch if we were to go down this route hence the querying on the Tomohawk and Taarup.

Lucas have a self tracking drawbar. It works brilliantly for tight sheds.
And most of them can blow over themselves

As for mounted. They are so long on the back that most trailed machines are easier.

I chopped all straw as it was baled this year. far more straw in each bale and cattle can spread it for me.

Do the likes of the Lucas Raptor without any knives do much damage to the straw, does it come out much shorter than it would have been in the bale, thanks.

Do the likes of the Lucas Raptor without any knives do much damage to the straw, does it come out much shorter than it would have been in the bale, thanks.
There were knives fitted to my Raptor when I first got it but I removed them and fitted toothed plates (or whatever they're called) on all 5 intake discs. Feeds better now instead of going into flywheel in lumps. Straw comes out as intact as you could hope for after passing through a flywheel running at around 300 rpm. I would find a lot of 10 inch straw surviving the assault but more around 6 inches.
MF30

Our kuhn has a lot of knives. Doesn't shred the straw much. A lot depends on floor speed I suppose. Slower the bale aproaches the more it gets to chop.
I like mf30's idea though. Worth considering.
I can see how it would bring lumps into the flywheel without something to fluff it up first.

There were knives fitted to my Raptor when I first got it but I removed them and fitted toothed plates (or whatever they're called) on all 5 intake discs. Feeds better now instead of going into flywheel in lumps. Straw comes out as intact as you could hope for after passing through a flywheel running at around 300 rpm. I would find a lot of 10 inch straw surviving the assault but more around 6 inches.
MF30
Cheers it's kind of with a re baling idea that I have had in mind so only really want the bale broken up not smashed to bits, must try and see one in action during the winter as I've never seen anything only a "spread a bale" being used.

Cheers it's kind of with a re baling idea that I have had in mind so only really want the bale broken up not smashed to bits, must try and see one in action during the winter as I've never seen anything only a "spread a bale" being used.
Anyone at it in a big way uses a dedicated Bale unwinder I think. Like anything iits not as straightforward as it looks, if it was everyone would be at it I suppose.

Anyone at it in a big way uses a dedicated Bale unwinder I think. Like anything iits not as straightforward as it looks, if it was everyone would be at it I suppose.
Ya I've gave a few hours looking at YouTube videos over the last few weeks an unwinder followed by some kind of conditioning seems to be the way to do it, most of them just look the same as that on a blower so was wondering if it could be worked in some way, anything involving small squares is not easy as I well know :sad2:

i find the raptor doesn,t damage the straw as mf 30 says unless its over ripe and brussy straw, if you keep the revs low it will fluff it up nicely

If you take the knives out of a straw blower does it cut down on the dust at all?

i find the raptor doesn,t damage the straw as mf 30 says unless its over ripe and brussy straw, if you keep the revs low it will fluff it up nicely
I was wondering that if you were only using it to break up the bale you could probably have the flywheel working at its slowest possible speed, could that work do you reckon or would it be easy stall it?

Back