Winter Barley 2021

ts115

What varieties are you going with this year, I will probably go with infinity again, it didn't do as well as cassia the year before but 2020 wasn't a fair year to judge it on.

I think I'll probably go with all Cassia. It's consistently been the highest yielding barley for me since I started growing it. Infinity has done well for me too but Cassia has really emerged as the leading variety for me here.

@CORK is there much difference in the agronomy of growing a six row like Pixel and Two row like Infinity? I have got on well with Infinity but have never tried a six row and am thinking of giving it a try.

Thinking of growing winter malt again this year. The variety last year was pixel. This year do they want to use Craft which I know nothing about.
Anyone any experience of growing Craft.

Thinking of growing winter malt again this year. The variety last year was pixel. This year do they want to use Craft which I know nothing about.
Anyone any experience of growing Craft.
A couple of lads I work with grew it this year, they were happy enough with the crop, but it was all failed by boor malt early on, I think some of it passed after.

Would you always go this early sowing barley?. I've Oct in mind before I'll sow anything and later Oct at that depending on weather.
Yes, last week of September is the norm. It's due to rain here on Wednesday for the rest of the week, it'll be second week of October before it dries out again if it's not planted now.

I ploughed this weekend, with the day job and other plans for next weekend I said I'd get at it, God I wish I could sow it tomorrow, in great order this evening!

I'm ploughing tomorrow, I'm trying to hold my nerve with sowing.
Last year has probably left me jumpy, but that was last year.
I'm trying to get compost etc spread, with the late season up here contractors are mad busy..

A couple of lads I work with grew it this year, they were happy enough with the crop, but it was all failed by boor malt early on, I think some of it passed after.
Thanks for your reply.
Going to sow 20acres. The figures on the adhb website look consistent for the last few years. It's just not a big yielder.
The bonus for malting should make it worthwhile growing provided it passes for malting.

Going to put in some infinity this year, merchant said that gold crop rep said not to let anyone sow less than 13stone/acre . Seems very high, mostly sow wb either side of 11 stone depending on tgw.
Does anyone know tgw of this year's infinity seed?
Only asking cos 2stone/acre of seed is a bit of extra expense especially as latitude to go on it as well due to slot

Going to put in some infinity this year, merchant said that gold crop rep said not to let anyone sow less than 13stone/acre . Seems very high, mostly sow wb either side of 11 stone depending on tgw.
Does anyone know tgw of this year's infinity seed?
Only asking cos 2stone/acre of seed is a bit of extra expense especially as latitude to go on it as well due to slot
The TGW will depend on the particular seed lot but we are finding most varieties are up by 2-4grams on normal.

If I knew which merchant you are dealing with I could probably narrow it down to a particular seed plant.

From memory the valerie I've delivered is 58!
Had to order more! No valerie left unfortunately.

How come you didn't stay with the slatted boards?
Hard to beat 28s do.
The slats are ok, no major faults with them. These are the original ones for the most part and need to be replaced soon.
The normal board will firm the soil more and has a better turn to it. In harder ground I found the slat tends to break over the furrow in chunks as opposed to a steady turn of soil.
Replacing frogs also as they are different.

We’ve noticed a big increase in output going from 4 x 16” sods to 5 x 20”.

The slats are ok, no major faults with them. These are the original ones for the most part and need to be replaced soon.
The normal board will firm the soil more and has a better turn to it. In harder ground I found the slat tends to break over the furrow in chunks as opposed to a steady turn of soil.
Replacing frogs also as they are different.

We’ve noticed a big increase in output going from 4 x 16” sods to 5 x 20”.
We changed from No.8 to No.28 in 2018. There is a very noticeable difference in the quality of the ploughing and I imagine the slats wouldn't have the same turn as a No.28.
The extra body ups the output big time.

Last edited:
We changed from No.8 to No.28 in 2018. There is a very noticeable difference in the quality of the ploughing and I imagine the slats wouldn't have the same turn as a No.28.
The extra body ups the output big time.
I taught all ye modern farmers would be talking about min-till systems for 2021 and not chatting about swapping around plough boards:scratchhead:

Back