Winter Barley 2021

What do you mean by a blocked Walker? How does a single Walker get blocked? All the holes in it blocked with shite?
Yeah, the inside of the walker gets stuffed with awns, nearly always with winter barley at the start of the season before the metalwork gets a chance to shine up.

I had to unblock my walkers every single day this season if not twice in spring barley. I’d say that’s why my losses were so bad in one field. In fact I’m fairly convinced if I check my combine now there all most likely blocked as I haven’t cleaned it down yet

I know that I annoy the combine drivers sometimes and often the changes I suggest have caused other issues and have to be partially or totally reversed. I know I am opinionated and I drive one of the combine drivers mad, so much so that now and again he will tell me to feck off and start drawing grain, From stubble to stubble I will have an opinion on every operation, from ploughing to cutting. When I have someone in sowing I decide whether I want a disc or onepass, I decide the rate and check the depth it is being sown at. When I get Fert spread I decide the rough date, the product and the rate, and if I can be there I like to see the spreader working to see if the product is being spread wide enough, but not too wide.
And the same with the cutting, I am involved in every decision made and have an opinion on every aspect.
While I understand that there are very good combine drivers that know more about setting their machine than I do, including both the main drivers here, I still go back to a person walking beside a working combine can tell a lot to a good driver. I know I am OTT, but I couldn't open a gate into my year's work and say "do best can" and walk away.
Its your profits they are spilling

Back