Mchale vs Welger

Pretty sure an orbital will work with your baler, you need to ask another dealer
Your right, we looked into using an orbital with a 5500, I haven’t heard that it won’t work, although there is very little encouragement for the system, from dealers or manufacturers.
It’s a system won’t suit everyone it might suit us.

I believe the problem is the cable and the drawbar to attach the wrapper to the baler are the issues.
Your right, we looked into using an orbital with a 5500, I haven’t heard that it won’t work, although there is very little encouragement for the system, from dealers or manufacturers.
It’s a system won’t suit everyone it might suit us.

Only ever saw them behind a 5600 though. Isn’t their hydraulic different and the wrapper is attached to the baler or something.

Nephew sent me this pic of one working behind a welger on Saturday.

Attachments

• D47DE9DE-5B96-474E-BEF5-651DA44BB42B.png
    D47DE9DE-5B96-474E-BEF5-651DA44BB42B.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 66
Contractor baled up 1000 bales with this outfit. Bales are 26%Dm and are weighing 1220kg on average.
I don’t like the unit because the bales aren’t very ‘square’ and are awkward to handle. I presume it’s because of it being a variable chamber system?

Attachments

• 6A8C187A-BF71-49D1-9212-DBD66946D62A.jpeg
    6A8C187A-BF71-49D1-9212-DBD66946D62A.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 54
Only ever saw them behind a 5600 though. Isn’t their hydraulic different and the wrapper is attached to the baler or something.

5600 run on power beyond with it’s on valve chest/control rather than just off the spools for door and pick up on the 5500, possibly why it’s easier to hook them behind an 56,

we just mentioned it in passing to one dealer and he said it does work but it’s an awful lot to watch which is probably why a lot don’t push it as they know that it could end up causing problems that they’ll end up fixing 🤣

for the net tension bars, would you weld on 2 new bars or buy the whole piece. the bars here are worn ta f%!k. netting has left behind grooves over the years and its slow to start netting. would have to hold my finger on the net button to get it going from when we had worked the baler last year

The fusion as a baler in its own right is no better or worse than any of the competition. Its the combi part of the outfit which is market leading, the bale transfer system was clever 15 years ago when it launched and the truth is no other manufacturer has even got close to it since then. Take the bale transfer system out and all of the balers/combi’s out there are much of a muchness.
Idk the goweil system that John deere use as well is pretty good. Think agronic have a cool system too.

Don’t think so as one thing about it is every bale is exactly the same size and those handlers are suited to the larger bales especially when wrapped ,when unloading I found the welger bale being a bit smaller they were inclined to fall against the outside bar and pull the plastic a little.

Don’t think so as one thing about it is every bale is exactly the same size and those handlers are suited to the larger bales especially when wrapped ,when unloading I found the welger bale being a bit smaller they were inclined to fall against the outside bar and pull the plastic a little.
Welger make a smaller bale than most others though as a rule. Probably something to do with the door latch as the hydraulic tail door on other makes opens ever so slightly when the bale chamber is full.
Largest bales I've carted with the keltec are fusion bales, they are larger in diameter and width. Kuhn combi would be next largest not as wide as mchale. Then kuhn bio is next, same as welger I'd say. Not much difference in them weight wise but mchale fusion would be a little heavier.

I've never seen the goweil so I can't be sure but I'm going to out on a limb here and say that the integrated auger rotor on the deere and kuhn machines will out perform it. I've raked 40ft plus rows of one cut July bog haylage(field was so wet I had to keep it wide to have as few passes as possible and space at the end ridge so I didn't lift the rake) I winced raking it up. My brother came in with the kuhn and couldn't tell I had done it. They have an unbelievable capacity to take in material, I'd say if you had a clear run without it actually being baled that the intake would keep up with any self propelled harvester.
Lots of downsides to kuhn and pros to goweil or mchale but the intake on the kuhn is just immense. I'd like to think the john deere is the happy medium.

The only major benefit id see to running the baler and wrapper inline is if you can't get a wrapper driver. we've toyed with the idea before but when myself and my father are both fine and able to work twould be no real benefit to us. 90 % of the time He bales, I wrap, works perfect as it is so no need to change. On hilly ground twould be a job in its own to keep the wrapper from passing you out too I'd say

Reactions: c4l
id like to see and try an inline set up on hills, accross being the one i would be more interested to try. Would like to thikn it would suit me but then again a combi baler might do as well if they ever get to fitting decent wheels. my krone combi on 600/55r26.5 was mighty but not fast enough for 6 layers, the 222.5 on a fusion or tandum axle on small wheels arent even close to it for floating on bad conditions

The only major benefit id see to running the baler and wrapper inline is if you can't get a wrapper driver. we've toyed with the idea before but when myself and my father are both fine and able to work twould be no real benefit to us. 90 % of the time He bales, I wrap, works perfect as it is so no need to change. On hilly ground twould be a job in its own to keep the wrapper from passing you out too I'd say
Isn't that pretty much the whole reason behind the invention of baler wrapper Combis.

Back