Spring Barley - General Thread

To the fabulous and not so good (at least there the bit by the road looks ok!)

View attachment 92145View attachment 92146View attachment 92147View attachment 92148
That looks a bit closer to what stuff would be like around here compared to some of the crops others seem to have.
Our own is a complete disaster this year. We ended up having to resow some😡 putting it down to the worst combination of seed we weren’t happy with, drought, frit fly, leather jackets and crows. It was looking reasonable but a bit slow looking across the field, but when you walked out into it there was spots that would be closer on 10-20 plants m2 than 2-300.

Anything I need to know about mixing epsotop into the sprayer of just tip it into the induction hopper?
If you have good suction, turn up the pressure, turn off the rinsing ring around the top of the hopper and pour it in, then when 90% is taken in turn back on the rinsing ring.
Always good practice to put in powders first.

That looks a bit closer to what stuff would be like around here compared to some of the crops others seem to have.
Our own is a complete disaster this year. We ended up having to resow some😡 putting it down to the worst combination of seed we weren’t happy with, drought, frit fly, leather jackets and crows. It was looking reasonable but a bit slow looking across the field, but when you walked out into it there was spots that would be closer on 10-20 plants m2 than 2-300.

Some of that is made up ground and has quite a few drains running through it so the very minute dry weather hits, it strikes hard which just post establishment doesn't help!

If you have good suction, turn up the pressure, turn off the rinsing ring around the top of the hopper and pour it in, then when 90% is taken in turn back on the rinsing ring.
Always good practice to put in powders first.
So your saying have the induction bowl running dry with just the suction going? I would always have turned on the rinsing ring on till bowl is half full and then open the suction pipe and then pour in any powders. The water level usually stays about level as it’s coming in as quick as it’s being sucked out

So your saying have the induction bowl running dry with just the suction going? I would always have turned on the rinsing ring on till bowl is half full and then open the suction pipe and then pour in any powders. The water level usually stays about level as it’s coming in as quick as it’s being sucked out
My induction hopper has 2 rinsing circuits, the rinsing ring around the top of the hopper and a second one feeding the bottle rinsing nozzles and blasting into the bottom of the hopper.
When using Epso or Combitop I find having the lower rinsing circuit on, but the upper one off works best.
I would prefer to run the hopper dry than have it half full and top rinsing ring on, as this way the salts have to dissolve in very little water in the hopper, rather being taken in and mixed with large quantities of water in the tank.

My induction hopper has 2 rinsing circuits, the rinsing ring around the top of the hopper and a second one feeding the bottle rinsing nozzles and blasting into the bottom of the hopper.
When using Epso or Combitop I find having the lower rinsing circuit on, but the upper one off works best.
I would prefer to run the hopper dry than have it half full and top rinsing ring on, as this way the salts have to dissolve in very little water in the hopper, rather being taken in and mixed with large quantities of water in the tank.
The first, last and only time I used Combitop in the sprayer I added the bag slowly to a full tank through the top lid while agitating, was afraid to use the induction hopper in case I blocked it. All grand, I thought and I headed for the field still agitating. Five minutes later on the road I detected a change of tone in the sprayers normal noise as if something was blocked. Stopped sprayer and opened both filters. Pipes were all blocked solid with the Combitop. Took me nearly an hour of undoing pipe fittings and sticking the powerwasher up the pipes to try and clear the blockages.
Whatever went wrong I am in no hurry to try that again. I use Magnus at 1.25 l/ha instead.

The first, last and only time I used Combitop in the sprayer I added the bag slowly to a full tank through the top lid while agitating, was afraid to use the induction hopper in case I blocked it. All grand, I thought and I headed for the field still agitating. Five minutes later on the road I detected a change of tone in the sprayers normal noise as if something was blocked. Stopped sprayer and opened both filters. Pipes were all blocked solid with the Combitop. Took me nearly an hour of undoing pipe fittings and sticking the powerwasher up the pipes to try and clear the blockages.
Whatever went wrong I am in no hurry to try that again. I use Magnus at 1.25 l/ha instead.
Must have been something in the tank that Combitop doesn't mix well with.
Hormone weed spray are the usual one.
In general powders need to be added first, but if it was that bad it was always going to end in a similar fashion, unfortunately.

I find that letting the combitop in dry and slowly works best. If I am a bit impatient and try speeding things up it usually causes a bit of a blockage which generally sorts itself out in a few minutes. Its easy stuff to dissolve

Anything I need to know about mixing epsotop into the sprayer of just tip it into the induction hopper?
I just upend the entire bag into the induction hopper with the wash down ring on full blast. I generally add the epsotop first before any other chemicals. Probably makes no difference but I like the idea of plenty of water to dissolve it before anything else goes in.

The way I did it with combitop, I'm not saying it's the right way, was, fill the induction hopper with water, open the bottom so it empties at the same rate as its filling and pour away. Seems to work.

I would always have the rinse off on the induction hopper when putting it in. A mechanic who works a lot on sprayers told me once that putting it in the top lid of the tank was a recipe for disaster.

Cheers lads
I been told it's a big NO NO to tip it in the top so wont be doing that

I got the 2 circuit's in my hopper too the ring and the bottle rinse or blast into the bottom

I would always have the rinse off on the induction hopper when putting it in. A mechanic who works a lot on sprayers told me once that putting it in the top lid of the tank was a recipe for disaster.
I can't remember what I was spraying onto barley years ago but I can very clearly remember the hardship I got with the filter blocking every few minutes with what looked like curdled milk. Fortunately it was a 600L mounted sprayer I had at the time and with much swearing it was eventually emptied. God forbid it would happen with the sprayer I have now. I'd have to be tied up and a exorcism performed to calm me down :lol:

Do you continue to agitate while on the road with the sprayer? I have only short distance(less than a mile) but turn off PTO.

Do you continue to agitate while on the road with the sprayer? I have only short distance(less than a mile) but turn off PTO.
I run the sprayer in the 1000 shaft speed to keep engine revs low while filling/spraying so driving around to fields the pto is off so I can have the boot down.

Back