Milk matters

So just wondering what are lads milk solids like mine are not great 3.30 prot 3.9 bfat ?..
Think everyones solids have been hit the last 10 days with the heat and dry grass or i dont know what , back to 3.4pr and 4 bfat here from what was 3.6 pr and 4.2bfat also dropped 3l/cow since before the heatwave , just got results tonight and back to 3.55pr and 4.3bfat but not sure if itl stay at that now

Starting back at some forage feeding today to the milkers. Have plenty of grass just cows this morning went looking for straw and silage I had out near the gate of the silage pit for dry cows and their dung is starting to get loose too. They are doing 20l ahead 4.28f and 3.71p so want to keep them up. Was just going to mix it in the feeder and feed them in the paddock till things get to wet to do so

Starting back at some forage feeding today to the milkers. Have plenty of grass just cows this morning went looking for straw and silage I had out near the gate of the silage pit for dry cows and their dung is starting to get loose too. They are doing 20l ahead 4.28f and 3.71p so want to keep them up. Was just going to mix it in the feeder and feed them in the paddock till things get to wet to do so
If you have plenty of grass just give them access to some straw, no need to give them silage with it yet, they'll eat what they want then fill up on grass. They might eat a lot at first but will self limit.

If you have plenty of grass just give them access to some straw, no need to give them silage with it yet, they'll eat what they want then fill up on grass. They might eat a lot at first but will self limit.
I am not really set up to allow access to straw when they wish. It's far easier for me to put .3kg of straw and 5kg of silage into the wagon and put it out in the field along a wire for the time been. The silage is close to hayledge

What are you feeding the dry ones? Have you the dry cows housed?
They are due to calf in a could of weeks want to get them on the dry cow diet a few weeks before they calf. Makes them easy to calf and less retained cleanings. They are able to get to the shed for food and water from the field but they lay off in the field

Last edited:
Back