130/150hp Loader Tractor

Out of interest...does it concern any Fendt buyers/owners that the engines in them are crap?
It would concern me. My neighbor has 6 Fendts and they’re in constant bother.
They can’t all be that bad surely? Deutz wouldn’t have a bad name in engines.
I can think of a number 5 or 6 Fendt owners (repeat customers) that I know and I only know of one tractor that had a piston problem. Some of these would have 3 or 4 Fendts, mostly 7 & 9 series and they would be making them work.
Only 8-900 hrs on the one here so far but it hasn’t missed a beat in any regard.
Just had to tighten a door latch the other day with an Allen key.

Edit: I think a new thread might be needed after that French bomb being dropped, this could go on and on (like a Fendt)

I can think of a number 5 or 6 Fendt owners (repeat customers) that I know and I only know of one tractor that had a piston problem. Some of these would have 3 or 4 Fendts, mostly 7 & 9 series and they would be making them work.
Only 8-900 hrs on the one here so far but it hasn’t missed a beat in any regard.

Edit: I think a new thread might be needed after that French bomb being dropped, this could go on and on (like a Fendt)
Dont be worrying over nothing, sure Conaty might have an engine if the worst happens. :cool:

Your after dropping a serious bomb there now J
Daniel Geroud is a neighbor that I’d know fairly well. All his Fendts are bothersome except the 936...which burns 7-10 litres of engine oil per tank of diesel.

He farms 440ha, is a bachelor, and his biggest problem in life is the tax man. I always try to buy his castoffs except the tractors.
Last winter we headed off to deliver two loads of straw and backload two loads of hay. About an hour down the road there was smoke, and a lot of it,!coming from his load. Being behind him I rang him to tell him...it’s just oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold he said.
Eventually it stopped. He had boiled the engine. Engine was only fitted 400hrs before. It had another fitted last May. It’s a 2017, 714 with a loader. It’s in constant bother because he keeps calling for our shovel. He’s not hard on kit, doesn’t have huge acres, and all servicing is done by main dealer.
I could go on...:)

Daniel Geroud is a neighbor that I’d know fairly well. All his Fendts are bothersome except the 936...which burns 7-10 litres of engine oil per tank of diesel.

He farms 440ha, is a bachelor, and his biggest problem in life is the tax man. I always try to buy his castoffs except the tractors.
Last winter we headed off to deliver two loads of straw and backload two loads of hay. About an hour down the road there was smoke, and a lot of it,!coming from his load. Being behind him I rang him to tell him...it’s just oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold he said.
Eventually it stopped. He had boiled the engine. Engine was only fitted 400hrs before. It had another fitted last May. It’s a 2017, 714 with a loader. It’s in constant bother because he keeps calling for our shovel. He’s not hard on kit, doesn’t have huge acres, and all servicing is done by main dealer.
:w00t:

Isn't it a case that every brand will have their troubles and detractors, for instance some wouldn't touch a JD with a barge pole yet others wouldn't have any other tractor around the place?
The 161 Deutz in my pics that was traded in last year and to the best of my knowledge was bought before it even got to the dealers yard has since I'm told given woeful trouble and has been moved on again afaik for a Case. When with the first owner it didn't give any hassle.
So again for everything out there some people get great service and others get woeful hardship.

That’s very true. Just mention 6020 series Deere head gaskets and a lot of the deere fan boys want to change the subject.

Every manufacturer goes through crap quaility issues. Modern machines as much as we might hate to admit it are made by multinationals who like car companies don’t want machines to last long,planned obsolescence.
I recall there’s a great video in YouTube about John Deere blocking America farmers right to repair.

There'd be plenty round here that have suffered engine problems too, maybe operator is part of the problem in some cases. Was told they're prone to over fuelling and you don't know its happening until its happened!

Interesting turn on this thread and something we were half hearted mulling over as well earlier in the year.

If we traded the Landini and the Case in (theoretically now, this was before the Case appeared) for one tractor with loader what 100/110hp tractor would we get?

Dare I say it, on the new scene it would not be much and even second hand it could be nearly a decade old.

New tyres on the Landini and it will go a long time....

3600 hours on the Landini since we bought it. I'd estimate 2 euro in depreciation and repairs, ignoring servicing and It's had no tyres yet.

In the end, given there are two of us here, we decided to stick with what we have for the last 15 years, two main tractors for the reasons ithastopay says

If your paying 95k for a T6.145 DCT you are getting your leg lifted. When i bought my T6.145 in November 2019, when in the dealers office i seen an invoice for a full spec T6.180 DCT with Q6M loader, it was £83000. Last month the Case dealer gave me a price to change my 145 for a Maxxumm 125 ActivDrive8 or a Vestrum 110 CVX. The 125 came to £73k and the Vestrum was £65k. Offered me £49k for my 145 ElectroCommand, with 900ish hours on it. According to salesman its roughly £4k difference between each gearbox, so i reckon a T6.145 DCT would be in the 60-65k bracket.

Those 4 pot deutz engines are supposed to be trouble free

Can i ask a serious question? Just for my own info,

you originally said that you couldn’t stretch to a New tractor, or at least couldn’t justify it. But by your own numbers, you paid new tractor money for a 2017. What is your thinking? Its more justifiable to pay that for a fendt? Did they finance it for you at a good rate? Its a conversation i regularly have, so interested in your thoughts.
It's an interesting observation that you made. Firstly I had been in the market for a tractor for the past year and had looked at 4 or 5 of the main makes new and when l started to look at second hand with under 3000 hours / 2 or 3 years old they were coming in at 2/3 the cost of new ymost had 6 mts warranty.
There are many reasons to buy new ie. warranty , subsidized finance , high work load etc.
But in my opinion a high spec. Second hand that has already taken a serious hit with depreciation makes better sense for myself than new.
Cost per hour of ownership is probably the best way, within that the amount of actual work done and the amount of money earned comes into it also.

There’s no doubt all machinery is becoming more expensive, some secondhand tractors and machinery are holding their values better than others.

In that regard, good information on experiences, both good and bad with different brands and models is very valuable. There is lots of knowledge shared on here in the public area and more shared privately.

We all have to look at our own figures and costings, we are currently considering buying a tractor, we may sell a tractor or we may not.
The tractor is a JD6620, its here from new, doing quick figures on it.
It’ll will have cost us less than €3/hr in depreciation and repairs, that’s excluding tyres and services.
The cheapest tractor here, on a per hour cost, is a JD7810 bought secondhand in 09 with 2256 hours on it, for an extortionate price at the time. Given it’s worth today it’ll have cost less than €1/hr.
They won’t all work out like that.

A good used proven model, with low hours, where the first owner has taken a big hit on depreciation, would be our ideal choice, however it’s not always possible to get the perfect spec.

This €10/hour to change 150hp to 200hp tractors is nonsense imo.
Depending on spec and brand €90 to €110 will buy a lot of tractor on a straight deal.

A similar sized and spec secondhand tractor, with 10000 hours on it, is worth a good bit more than nothing.

Best of luck to @blue n' gold, sounds like a good buy.
Yes I agree completely with your comments. A tractor that is few years old ,low hours and that you can verify the history of is great value as against a new tractor for the average farmer. I know someone will say there is no such thing as the average, but you know the guy doing his own work clocking 500 to 1000 hours annually.

I think those new bobcats are maybe 60/65 plus vat and a decent 2nd hand say 6430 or 6630 would be got for 35/40k. All plus vat mind you but I’d agree it can be done and that’s what I would do but I don’t have any money so it’s not a decision I have to make.
You said bobcat costing 65k plus and fresh JD (10yr old) costing 40k plus total 105k or 127k inc. vat.
Now look at Fendt 516 and loader costing 100k (approx) inc. vat
27k of a difference by my sums to do the same job.
I know you can argue tractor and loader is never equal to a handler but a high spec. tractor loader combination of (150hp) any make is a pretty decent tool !!

You said bobcat costing 65k plus and fresh JD (10yr old) costing 40k plus total 105k or 127k inc. vat.
I know you can argue tractor and loader is never equal to a handler but a high spec. tractor loader combination of (150hp) any make is a pretty decent tool !!
How do you load your spreader with the fendt?

In fairness, a cheap 3 grand tractor would lift bags of fert. But personally i dont like the idea of having a loader on my main tractor, i like a clear view, but if the op is happy with his choice then great for him

Local farmer got a heavy rsj frame attached to sturdy shed pillar. He lifts 2 bags up onto frame hooks & spins around and in underneath them. Probably safer than being under hydraulics etc. Great looking tractor Op and may it be lucky. How do you find the change with screens/tech etc.

Reactions: Bcl
I went from a tractor and loader to a telescopic loader, I wouldn’t dream of going back, no comparison if your doing any decent amount of loader work.

Tractor and loader vs a tractor and a loading machine depends on the farm I think.

For lots of loader work then a good loader is superior, no doubt. It can be more manoeuvrable in tight spaces and low shed heights. But it’s a one trick pony.

If land is scattered then a tractor with loader is more of an all rounder. It has arguably more comfort and is only one machine to maintain and deprecate. It might be easier financially to have a fresh tractor loader than trying to keep two fresh machines.

Local farmer got a heavy rsj frame attached to sturdy shed pillar. He lifts 2 bags up onto frame hooks & spins around and in underneath them. Probably safer than being under hydraulics etc. Great looking tractor Op and may it be lucky. How do you find the change with screens/tech etc.
Will let you know . Should have her this week all going to plan.

Back