2wd drive tractors

All 2wd here and on a few dairy farms near us too. Our land is flat and dry and we have no tillage work so 2wd suits us just fine for all we be doing which ain't much.

Fair enough 4wd is the job for ploughing etc and maybe for loader work etc.

If a good 2wd ford of about 90 - 100 hp can be got I'd say we'd purchase. On the look out at the moment again so the shopping list is getting longer by the week :lol:

I can honestly say that I have never been in a situation on our farm whereby I said we need a 4wd :thumbup:

Good land solves it :rolleyes:

I'm going topping tomorrow and will definitely need 4wd :rolleyes:

Another 40 series Mike?

Check out Mr Lacey again, this must be going on two years now :D:D

Good land solves it :rolleyes:

I'm going topping tomorrow and will definitely need 4wd :rolleyes:

Another 40 series Mike?

Check out Mr Lacey again, this must be going on two years now :D:D

We'll see as there's other work needs doing too about the place. A good 10 series if one can be got. Can't have money for fancy yokes now :lol::lol:

One spotted locally only just to go see it. 4000 will be getting the road so leave it off good ridence

We'll see as there's other work needs doing too about the place. A good 10 series if one can be got. Can't have money for fancy yokes now :lol::lol:

One spotted locally only just to go see it. 4000 will be getting the road so leave it off good ridence

I know well what you mean here at present:(

Still no picture of this 4000 for me :thumbup::D

I'd strongly advise against a 10 series as 40s are much better value.

Be interesting to see what you turn up!:thumbup:

I know well what you mean here at present:(

Still no picture of this 4000 for me :thumbup::D

I'd strongly advise against a 10 series as 40s are much better value.

Be interesting to see what you turn up!:thumbup:

All depends on what can be found and what money they are :thumbup:

I'd prefer a good clean 10 series with SQ cab to a smaller 40 series tbh.

I can honestly say that I have never been in a situation on our farm whereby I said we need a 4wd :thumbup:

What about the time your Dad got stuck loading the dung :whistling:

Seriously though, 4wd is one of those things, once you get used of it on a farm, you wouldnt want to go back. :thumbup: A 4wd 10 series wont be a whole lot dearer than a 2wd version either.

What about the time your Dad got stuck loading the dung :whistling:

Seriously though, 4wd is one of those things, once you get used of it on a farm, you wouldnt want to go back. :thumbup: A 4wd 10 series wont be a whole lot dearer than a 2wd version either.

Nothing escapes ya does it Mike!

We would certainly not go back to 2wd for main tillage or main loader here.

I'm a Ford 10 series fan but as time, rust and hours on engines accumulate my interest wanes.

Nothing escapes ya does it Mike!

We would certainly not go back to 2wd for main tillage or main loader here.

I'm a Ford 10 series fan but as time, rust and hours on engines accumulate my interest wanes.

Yep, even if you buy a very tidy rust free 7610 ( hens teeth and wont be much cheaper than a 7740), the engine is still a ticking time bomb. :whistling:

Yep, even if you buy a very tidy rust free 7610 ( hens teeth and wont be much cheaper than a 7740), the engine is still a ticking time bomb. :whistling:

And a 10 series will only go tp about 7000 hours before you are in overhaul territory whereas a 40 will easily go to 10k hours.

Hard to get a good one. But a right good one would be worth it IMO

Like I said, its all down to what's suitable and available. Good 40 series are hard to find too. TS series is just too dear for what we be doing.

All 2wd here and on a few dairy farms near us too. Our land is flat and dry and we have no tillage work so 2wd suits us just fine for all we be doing which ain't much.

Fair enough 4wd is the job for ploughing etc and maybe for loader work etc.

If a good 2wd ford of about 90 - 100 hp can be got I'd say we'd purchase. On the look out at the moment again so the shopping list is getting longer by the week :lol:

Very flat dairyfarm here also. For years we got on fine with only 2wds, last few years of temperamental weather are where the 4wd with the loader (a landini also :thumbdown:) has really come into its own, during wet weather the 2wd just doesnt cut it. The biggest godsend of the 4wd is in lifting heavy wet silagebales, of which we had plenty last winter. Shear grab also would be too much weight for alot of 2wds in my view.

The old zetor crystals 2wd's could be got with front suspension, I don't know of any others tbh

Very flat dairyfarm here also. For years we got on fine with only 2wds, last few years of temperamental weather are where the 4wd with the loader (a landini also :thumbdown:) has really come into its own, during wet weather the 2wd just doesnt cut it. The biggest godsend of the 4wd is in lifting heavy wet silagebales, of which we had plenty last winter. Shear grab also would be too much weight for alot of 2wds in my view.

You make valid points Tim.

Certainly for us small timers, the advent of even heavier round bale silage and then chopped bales put the coffin in main 2wd tractors as did a move to 500kg bags.

A 2wd Ford 4610 handled them but Ypu never felt at ease. I will admit some of this may be down to the tractor being a tad too small in the first place.

A field I topped today, a 2wd would have made a mess of it...

Nothing wrong with your old Blizzard, must be the pilot :p:p

I think Belarus still offer front suspension on their 2wd tractors. I don't think I'd take a present of one though nth.

Nothing wrong with your old Blizzard, must be the pilot :p:p

Hmm you know more about me then I thought :P, but the Blizzard is gone ha, on to a Vision105 now! And my good the extra weight in the back end helped big time this winter, even going mad careful while lifting some of the wet silagebales, I still had 3 or 4 oh shit moments when the back end lifted on uneven ground. Problem was while using the sheargrab I'll admit, so would have been an extra 300kg of the sheargrab plus the bale is a ft further away from the tractor as you can't grab the bale as close with the sheargrab. Would be totally impractical to be swapping on and off the sheargrab during the winter though.

Talking about tractors with light back ends ha, I borrowed the neighbours 6series ford a while back, my god that scare the shit out of me, spent more time doing handstands then on 4wheels :P

I think Belarus still offer front suspension on their 2wd tractors. I don't think I'd take a present of one though nth.

A guy I know bought a Belarus as part of a job lot and finds it very usefull . He even had a mechanic come up from south Kilkenny to fit a pickup hitch to it . It has low hours maybe less than a 1000 . They are easy fix .

Hmm manual shuttle, would be fine if landini hadn't tried to be fancy with their dash mounted shuttle lever, and a cable connecting it to the gearbox which is weaker tham an elastic band. Most annoying thing about ours, esp with loader work, a floor lever like on the blizzard is simple and does the job fine!

Hmm manual shuttle, would be fine if landini hadn't tried to be fancy with their dash mounted shuttle lever, and a cable connecting it to the gearbox which is weaker tham an elastic band. Most annoying thing about ours, esp with loader work, a floor lever like on the blizzard is simple and does the job fine!

I know what you mean and the Blizzard had it left hand mounted too for handiness whereas the 80 series (like our 9880) had it on the right hand.

The manual Legend's shared the same lever.

But don't let the luddites on here hear you saying that :D

I converted a cable shuttle to manual linkages ,it's been working well for a few years.It takes a bit of doing to get it to work with the same amount of lever travel ,but its very doable .I have seen another one done the same.

I converted a cable shuttle to manual linkages ,it's been working well for a few years.It takes a bit of doing to get it to work with the same amount of lever travel ,but its very doable .I have seen another one done the same.

Was it all internal work John, as in were you able to leave the lever in the same place?

Was it all internal work John, as in were you able to leave the lever in the same place?
The lever is in the same place.Basically you have to remove the cable,when you remove the two dash side panels,you will see a hole across in the bottom of the channel that holds up the steering column,a bushing has to be made and fitted there.A shaft with plates on both ends turns in this bush.A rod connects from one end of the shaft to the shuttle lever.An arm goes on the other end which goes down through a small slot which needs to be cut in the floor.It sounds rough but the side dash panel and the floor matt cover it neatly.The arm that goes down through the floor then has to connect to another rod which operates the shuttle lever on the side of the box.
I had to do it for a customer that was having no joy with the cables.I put a grease nipple in the bushing in the steering column,it's smooth to operate,and you wouldn't know by looking at the tractor that it had been done.It took about a day to do.

Interesting, thanks for the detailed explanation John.

I won't be upgrading to a Vision or Legend for a while anyway :D

Back