All things Wooly!

about 10 years or more ago we bagged 14 dead ch lambs after a rough night all lambs were at least a week to 10 days, hampshire downs comrades in the same group survived, . great sheep to thrive but not suitable for early lambing here in the west
I sold a Llewyn ram ( fairly agey boy ) last October who I had bought a year previous as a substitute when my Charolais hurt his foot ( paid €150 for him and sold him for €250 in mart ) , my mistake was not selling the Charolais instead, the substitute Llewyn only sired about seven or eight lambs as the Charolais had most of the job done, didn't loose one of the Llewyns , they were definitely less impressive lambs though

I sold a Llewyn ram ( fairly agey boy ) last October who I had bought a year previous as a substitute when my Charolais hurt his foot ( paid €150 for him and sold him for €250 in mart ) , my mistake was not selling the Charolais instead, the substitute Llewyn only sired about seven or eight lambs as the Charolais had most of the job done, didn't loose one of the Llewyns , they were definitely less impressive lambs though
Forget impressive if you want survivability!

Ugly sheep are the future!
Pretty sheep are the reason sheep work is so hard now!

Reminds me of a Farmer in the Farmers Weekly.
He was a keen recorder, breeding replacements from the very best.
He effectively had 3 flocks, A,B and C.
Keep ewe lambs from A, some from B if he needed numbers, C was turned to a terminal sire.
So keen that if a ewe had a problem he woul downgrade her daughters from previous years to the B flock! C if it was a big problem!

He put 10 from each flock in pens and had a group of farmers judge them and write down which pen had which flock in. Judge which pen had the most profitable sheep in if you will.

Every single one put the A flock as the worst ewes!
Most put the C flock as best! Based on looks alone.

A live lamb is better than a dead one. If the lleyn lambs had no issues, it sounds like the ch ram is the problem. In that case I’d breed up to Easycare to cut out the shearing. You could use a terminal sire with good survivability as a sweeper in the second or third cycle, depending on how compact you want the lambing to be.

Were at a very tense moment in lambing.
Every other year I have lambs sold before we officially finish lambing.

However we are down to the last ewe, and lambs picked, but won't be sold until Wednesday!🤣

She better put a plug in it!
Well the first lambs went yesterday (as opposed last week)
And she still hasn't lammbed.

Fairly sure there isn't actually a lamb in her by now, but as that isn't confirmed, I'm claiming the win!

Sharing a Sheep farming survey.

The aims to get responses far and wide. The more participants, the stronger the impact can be.

Anonymous and takes about 10 minutes.

Link below and QR code there too 👍

There’s also a contact email to hear more information. If you would be interested in talking about the issues discussed in the survey please send an email to.

Be interested to hear does anyone have issues with gathering sheep, say vast landscapes that takes a lot of time and effort to gather?

Or with dog attacks or thieving?

Any leads of where might help us extend our reach be happy to hear on this forum to 💯

https://forms.office.com/r/HzU2a0BUDc

1273AFE0-F805-4E05-BA23-65F23F0F6D15.jpeg

No. They are allowed thankfully. We've them in use in the mother's place and where we are now. Invaluable.
often wonder how good they are,ground that I've rented there's a house with an Irish setter at it and there's suppose to be one of the collars on it, it's all the hoor of a dog for rambling, 3 to 4 times a week its out, was just saying this evening that with the cows up there now and if the dog goes rambling there will be some mess and expecially with the bull

does that include the radio collars for around the perimeter of ones property to keep them from straying.
if that's the case I see alot more problems for sheep men and more of @headcase 's solutions
View attachment 137221
I’m not s
often wonder how good they are,ground that I've rented there's a house with an Irish setter at it and there's suppose to be one of the collars on it, it's all the hoor of a dog for rambling, 3 to 4 times a week its out, was just saying this evening that with the cows up there now and if the dog goes rambling there will be some mess and expecially with the bull
we have one for the dog here and it’s taking him a long time to get use to it, now it does give him a tight rap but wen the collar goes on him he’s knows somethings up. There’s flags your meant to train them up with it

We got both dogs on since pups so they know the boundaries on both houses well. Keeps them away from the farm and from rambling. Mines a big red setter collie crose and he's wild but respects the fence.

I used green 3 foot windbreaker as the "boundary" above the wire where it crosses the back of the house so he's something physical to see above the wire and works the finest.

Is the scaly ears a cobalt deficiency?
yes usually a sign of it , the vendeens are worse affected here (might be from uv rays as well)

I think we get a good response from cobalt b12 here and usually drench about every 3 weeks or so eventhough the carton states repeat 2 to 3 months

other than a bolus personally I don't think lambs store cobalt in their system longer than 3 weeks

yes usually a sign of it , the vendeens are worse affected here (might be from uv rays as well)

I think we get a good response from cobalt b12 here and usually drench about every 3 weeks or so eventhough the carton states repeat 2 to 3 months

other than a bolus personally I don't think lambs store cobalt in their system longer than 3 weeks
Had a talk about this yesterday with one of the top sheep vets in the uk.
She recommended the Troy injection for b12. Because drenching tends to give a very short boost followed by expensive urine (her words)
Cheap too.

On boluses she had varying things to report.
They did a post mortem on one ewe who had been bolused 18 months previously, and the bolus was still perfectly in tact! They tested the bolus itself and it had most of the claimed contents still in! Ttbf, the brand involved had said it could last up to 18 months, it did, but had next to no effect!

The brother has a few pure texels and 2 are destroyed with hard scales on there ears, must try gather meself for the weekend and maybe give them all a shot of it

Back