At the mart...

In fairness the rise is in the over 520 kg in spec type but all lighter cattle have got a lift too. Plain badly done cattle that were dismissed as being “screws” a month ago are now “big for the money” and weighing “nothin” so would be up anything from 40 to 100 a head in cases.

Agree 100% but the agri media are making a big thing out of it when as you say it is more impacting on the closer to finished animals.

Got a call from our local mart,x3 of our b/W heifers we sold last year were entered last week in calf,they made £1920-£1840-£1830,we thought we’d done well last year when we sold them.

I saw that an hour ago .
Was it knocked out , or dead ?

I was shown the video , yesterday, of the man getting an awful clatter in the passage of a mart . Horrendous .
Was in ballymote i think.he could have broken his neck handy enough.
Man beside us had a charolais a bulling and she lept up on him as he was leaving the shed.she flattened him .was a few days licking his love bites.twisted his knee aswell

Was in ballymote i think.he could have broken his neck handy enough.
Man beside us had a charolais a bulling and she lept up on him as he was leaving the shed.she flattened him .was a few days licking his love bites.twisted his knee aswell

Before I built the last slatted shed , I had some weanlings on straw bedding . I used throw the meal in their troughs , leave in a roll bale of straw on its end remove net , tip it over , and roll it out .
Once a lovely Fr heifer took a shine to me as I was half way through the bale. She ahem , " mounted me" , a front leg at each side of me , on the remains of the bale .
Not a pleasant experience 😕.

Before I built the last slatted shed , I had some weanlings on straw bedding . I used throw the meal in their troughs , leave in a roll bale of straw on its end remove net , tip it over , and roll it out .
Once a lovely Fr heifer took a shine to me as I was half way through the bale. She ahem , " mounted me" , a front leg at each side of me , on the remains of the bale .
could have been worse if it had been the AI man :yes:

Did you not throw a leg over her seeing she was so affectionate to you 😁

I saw that an hour ago .

I was shown the video , yesterday, of the man getting an awful clatter in the passage of a mart . Horrendous .
Anyone know where that mart was were the lad got knocked down? He gave the animal a kick before she kicked him. Some wallop

Anyone know where that mart was were the lad got knocked down? He gave the animal a kick before she kicked him. Some wallop
Think it was aurivo ballymote sign was on the wall of the ring.
Was the other video where the animal kicked him sideways and flung him like a paper bag across the passage way about 3 weeks ago

Worse thing when they do it is them getting a foot in your pocket and ripping it,had it happen a few times.😩

Which is worse. Listening to a noisey cow all day or being mounted by a lovely clean heifer :lol:

I saw that an hour ago .

Saw that myself last night. I'd say the animal knocked itself out cold. I saw the video of that man getting kicked in the mart as well and last night I was shown a video of a man getting wrapped around a big lathe. Tbh i could have done without seeing that last one. Horrific doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't know what sort of individual thought to record it from the cctv and send it out.

last night I was shown a video of a man getting wrapped around a big lathe. Tbh i could have done without seeing that last one. Horrific doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't know what sort of individual thought to record it from the cctv and send it out.
I got to see that the other day. Look at it as workplace safety demonstration.

no amount of money would pay me to work in a mart ( unless it was in the office )

perfect storm when it comes to cattle turning violent , they are nervous due to the strange surroundings and its constantly noisy

Saw that myself last night. I'd say the animal knocked itself out cold. I saw the video of that man getting kicked in the mart as well and last night I was shown a video of a man getting wrapped around a big lathe. Tbh i could have done without seeing that last one. Horrific doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't know what sort of individual thought to record it from the cctv and send it out.

Seen that myself and didn't send it on to anyone else. Could of done without seeing it too

Looking at the marts online ,every thing seems to be up & up this week .I have 7 wh heifers coming up to 30 months in end of Janurary .I am giving them 2-3 kg of maize hi energy ,there only dregs really around 550 .They should easily make over E1000 .I would prefer to sell them in the next tax year as the money would go towards replacement dairy stock .They probably might not even grade on the factory for the q.a. and the herford bonus .Would I be mad not to shift them to mart before christmas .I would hardly get a flat price for them in factory in the new year but there does seem to be demand building up but then we all know overnight things change

Looking at the marts online ,every thing seems to be up & up this week .I have 7 wh heifers coming up to 30 months in end of Janurary .I am giving them 2-3 kg of maize hi energy ,there only dregs really around 550 .They should easily make over E1000 .I would prefer to sell them in the next tax year as the money would go towards replacement dairy stock .They probably might not even grade on the factory for the q.a. and the herford bonus .Would I be mad not to shift them to mart before christmas .I would hardly get a flat price for them in factory in the new year but there does seem to be demand building up but then we all know overnight things change
In a very similar position with some of the bullocks, really could do with holding them till January.

In a very similar position with some of the bullocks, really could do with holding them till January.
Hard to see things changing that quickly in January, anyone that has cattle fit to kill will kill them before Christmas. I would prefer to hold over stock if they aren't fit, nothing as bad as killing cattle that aren't fit. I have heifers myself that I would like to have killed before Christmas but it would have been too much of a push. Anything can happen but I don't see a 30c change overnight first week of January even in a no deal scenario.

I sold 2 Jan 20 Lm bulls today . 452 kgs E1030 . Weaned for 8 weeks , in since and eating meal . I castrated anything else , amd thought these were too good to squeeze . Didnt suit to keep just 2 , and not keen on young bulls around the place . I was happy .
Looking at the mart online , there were a few great prices , for nice fancy stock , that appealed to a certain type of buyer . Lads who dont "need " to make money from every animal .
But , there were an awful lot of middling prices . Good continental cattle making E2 a kilo was the run of it . Anything out of a FR cow back to 1.70 1.80 kg .
A few prices .
Super CH 25/7/18 725 kg 1480. LMX485 kg 30/4/19 E1030. Ch 420 kg 1/6/19 E940 . LMx 465 kg 15/5/19 E940 .
AAx 435 kg 29/3/19 E790 . 3 x FRX 365 kg 15/3/19 E650 . 3 x FRx 353 kg 4/4/19 E610 . AAx ( looked a Fr ) 440 kg 15/6/19 E780

Anything to be said for selling them now and lodging the cheque in the middle of January?

Doesn't matter if you never lodged the cheque, you will be taxed on the year it was issued.

I dont think it's a great idea lads holding cattle till January or buying extra fert and diesel. The following December you may do the same or your worse off. Let things averaged themselves out imo

Who'd have thought, on England's last couple of weeks in the EU ,that cattle and sheep would be a good trade here, and improving every week.
Only back a year or two, we were told that if England were to crash out and no deal, prices would freefall.
Just goes to show, you couldn't predict what markets would be like in a week. Never mind trying to predict a few months ahead.

Who'd have thought, on England's last couple of weeks in the EU ,that cattle and sheep would be a good trade here, and improving every week.
Only back a year or two, we were told that if England were to crash out and no deal, prices would freefall.
Just goes to show, you couldn't predict what markets would be like in a week. Never mind trying to predict a few months ahead.
They aren't out just yet

Doesn't matter if you never lodged the cheque, you will be taxed on the year it was issued.

I dont think it's a great idea lads holding cattle till January or buying extra fert and diesel. The following December you may do the same or your worse off. Let things averaged themselves out imo
How does that work? Accountant does my accounts on what goes in and what goes out.

Back