Biggest field in ireland

New to posting anything so apologies if I should attached the screen shoot differently. Is this the field near Lyons Estate? Approx 242 acres in it according to google maps

View attachment 43083
That's it.it's extends further east and North than you have marked.there is a stream running through it so does not qualify as one field.All will be revealed in the journal tomorrow.

After all the talk in this I went measuring places.
The biggest is 94 acres but its divided by 4 streams all you can cross with a tractor alright all the land wouldn't be workable tho about 60 is I'd be thinking.
The biggest workable field we do work in is 75 acres

There's a field near athboy that's 270 acres. Takes a day for 2 five sod ploughs to plough the headlands, I think you have to lift and drop the plough something near 30 times per run such is the shape of it

There's a field near athboy that's 270 acres. Takes a day for 2 five sod ploughs to plough the headlands, I think you have to lift and drop the plough something near 30 times per run such is the shape of it
It'd be rare for 5 furrow ploughs to be working that field, usually be a couple of 7 furrow trailed ploughs

Yeah your right about that man's trailed 7 furrows, 3 of them usually in it I think on 8410 deeres, a mate of mine was in it for a contractor helping them a few years ago with the 2 five sods , it was him telling me the craic with it

Any of them in rooskey:scratchhead: its a farm moreso than a field
No nothing like that around here, although our main grazing block of about 34 acres went from being several fields back to one field and then we divided it into several paddocks again.

Sounds like we went backwards :scratchhead:

The farm I worked on In England had a field called 16 acres, which was actually only 15 acres.

The adjoining field was called 17 acres, but was 94 acres :huh:

Next door “4 acre” is actually 6 acres,I always find using the field size as a name crap,I like the historical names,amazing how ours have changed over the last 150 years or so,main reason being I’ve a quarter of the fields we had because of amalgamation.

Yeah your right about that man's trailed 7 furrows, 3 of them usually in it I think on 8410 deeres, a mate of mine was in it for a contractor helping them a few years ago with the 2 five sods , it was him telling me the craic with it

No 10’s, all 20 and 30 series John Deere’s.
Those ploughs would take a bit of pulling in that ground, it’s sowed in winter rape now.
There is serious artillery in that yard for getting through work.

Biggest one i know of in this neck of the woods ia about 60 acres.tis an outblock a milking man takes 3 cuts of about a mile up from his yard.tis awkard hilly field like most around here and a biteen damp

60 acre field is the biggest field I have balermen complain it was too big??

Did he get away with knocking ditches before is was compulsory to replant?
It would have been done many years ago so no restrictions at the time. I’m a big fan of big fields with trees in logical places.

It would have been done many years ago so no restrictions at the time. I’m a big fan of big fields with trees in logical places.
Ah was just tong and cheek comment. Ya esp for tillage ground. We have fields here ranging from 1ac to 17 been our biggest. And there are hedges around it all. It's hard trying to keep them right

Biggest field I know would be about 120 acres. Only a cow road up the middle of it and divided into paddocks. I remember all his neighbours criticizing him in an awful way over destroying his farm. Most now regret not removing ditches themselves.

One locally just around 200 and another over the 100 with a few more bits almost joined in bar a few bits of ditches. The 200 has been split into 2or 3 crops the last few years but was all in one crop at one stage, I’ve crossed both to load straw for lads and there’s a lot of tramlines to cross to get to the middle of it.

One locally just around 200 and another over the 100 with a few more bits almost joined in bar a few bits of ditches. The 200 has been split into 2or 3 crops the last few years but was all in one crop at one stage, I’ve crossed both to load straw for lads and there’s a lot of tramlines to cross to get to the middle of it.
Screenshot_20200926-204946.png

Back