Calves

Hmmm, I would say dry cow treatment and beastings are 90%. See some lads with surgery-like hygiene getting all kinds of trouble whilst the ould bachelor down the road with the hygiene akin to a teenage boys bedroom getting away with murder. Plus feeding calves enough is so so important IMV.
It's like you're singing to me brucey! Vaccinate for whatever you can, keep the dry cow fat and healthy, give the calf plenty of colostrum as quickly as you can(May be the most important part but not just for immunity but to use that natural urge the calf has to feed while it's still strong) , after that keep the calf dry and clean and well fed.

Whats the procedure to get the milk rate up? Increase it gradually?
Over how long?
procedure here is, buy calf 30 days old, feed 200gram in 2 ltrs on night arrival, 2 feeds of 200g x 2ltrs following day, and once a day 400g in 3ltrs the following day, 500g next and by day 5 up to 600g in 3ltrs

Should we meal feed 3-4 month old bucket reared calves?
They're on 1.5 kg per day.
Is it a waste?

So it is not possible to give cows all sure boluses on there own without also giving them bagged minerals ??..

136161C0-5D62-4361-BE6E-2210F6939051.jpeg 63A92322-D8BF-48B8-8041-5823917F91E3.jpeg 2ACDEDE8-E96F-43F6-BA1A-4EC31FEFAFAE.jpeg 9FF13A3E-9EF6-4C9D-9FD4-E13ACC5A2494.jpeg F1F32736-AF8D-4AF2-88FF-95657BDF5B6B.jpeg 42A98FC8-731E-4C77-9635-5F18084F6CB0.jpeg February born Fr heifer calf, strong calf one of the biggest in the bunch,good appetite but all her hair is coming off and her feet are soft and tender.
Routine dosing and vaccinations carried out plus a shot of multi vitamin and mineral bucket in the field
Anyone seen anything like it or any idea for cause or cure.

Any mineral blood test done?

Zinc would be my first taught when you mention feet.

Not sure of its effects on animal coat. Will check it in my bible later

Reactions: jpt
Any mineral blood test done?

Zinc would be my first taught when you mention feet.

Not sure of its effects on animal coat. Will check it in my bible later
Hoof and hair are all keratin I believe so zinc should have some effect on both. Starey brown coat like that in these parts would be suspect copper deficiency but that doesn't make the hair fall out. Mineral deficiency is normally isolated to one individual in a herd, it would usually affect all to varying degrees. Possibly eaten something poisonous out of the hedge.

Could it be photosentisis ? if that's how you spell it
I was thinking along those lines with the poisonous plants but that normally causes sunburn on the white areas and black areas are unaffected. It wouldn't account fo the rough brown coat and general poor condition. She does look quite thin compared to those around her.

Reactions: jpt
Back