Close or leave open gable of shed

Blue Power

The open end of the shed is South facing. I was thinking of putting up spaced boarding or just maybe bring out a 1.5/2m canopy. At the moment good sunshine shines in to the shed and on a mild day when the shed is full there is good ventilation. I am afraid if I put up spaced boarding that the shed will get stuffy. Would a canopy be the better option?

What would you do?

Attachments

• 20201018_164220.jpg
    20201018_164220.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 7-Yorkshire-boarding-c-Debbie-James.jpg
    7-Yorkshire-boarding-c-Debbie-James.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 92
The open end of the shed is South facing. I was thinking of putting up spaced boarding or just maybe bring out a 1.5/2m canopy. At the moment good sunshine shines in to the shed and on a mild day when the shed is full there is good ventilation. I am afraid if I put up spaced boarding that the shed will get stuffy. Would a canopy be the better option?

What would you do?
Have you taken the cladding off?
I’d leave it and see.

That's the shed in the picture. Some rain blows in on top of the slats but that's not a problem I really would like to protect the structure of the shed from the rain.
Either clad over the steelwork or extend every purlin and have a row of sheets overhang.

Why would you need a gap, are you talking about a canopy on the ridge:undecided:

I was but looking again that's not going to work.

We have a canopy here on a lean to. It's a great job from weather protection but not from a ventilation viewpoint.

Either clad over the steelwork or extend every purlin and have a row of sheets I've

Either clad over the steelwork or extend every purlin and have a row of sheets overhang.
Yeah I was thinking about extending out the purlins. If i extended out 2m by bolting a purlin on to the existing purlin say using 4m bolted to the purlin with an extension of 2m. That would use up the 6m length. My only concern would be this end of the shed is exposed to storms and could rip off the canopy plus some of the existing roof.

That's the shed in the picture. Some rain blows in on top of the slats but that's not a problem I really would like to protect the structure of the shed from the rain.
When you say you want to protect the structure of the shed do you mean you just want to protect the steel and the end of the timbers.

When you say you want to protect the structure of the shed do you mean you just want to protect the steel and the end of the timbers.
Yes but also to stop the wind driven rain blowing in to the shed. A spaced board would be a solution but if you stand in the shed in the winter when the sun is shining and because the sun is lower in the sky it shines a lot of the way up the shed. The cattle are very content when the sun shines on their backs. This is why a projected out canopy would tick all the boxes.

Yes but also to stop the wind driven rain blowing in to the shed. A spaced board would be a solution but if you stand in the shed in the winter when the sun is shining and because the sun is lower in the sky it shines a lot of the way up the shed. The cattle are very content when the sun shines on their backs. This is why a projected out canopy would tick all the boxes.
I don't think a canopy is going to stop much rain blowing in. How about putting on space boarding with a spacing of about one or two foot and then put wind breaker on top. The reason for the boarding is to support the wind breaker to keep it from flapping too much in the wind. It's something I've been thinking about doing here.

Could you just return a flashing over the end of the shed? You might have to put a timber in the web of the pillar to screw it into. That way the end sheat will have more protection from the wind and the purlin will be protected from weather. As regards ventilation if it's not broke don't fix it. We extended our cow shed here and shed man was wanting to change the the roof structure. We wouldn't let him as there are 150 cows in the shed and you wouldn't know they were there

I don't think a canopy is going to stop much rain blowing in. How about putting on space boarding with a spacing of about one or two foot and then put wind breaker on top. The reason for the boarding is to support the wind breaker to keep it from flapping too much in the wind. It's something I've been thinking about doing here.
Does the wind breaker be any good after a few years. I have seen it ripped on sheds

Could you just return a flashing over the end of the shed? You might have to put a timber in the web of the pillar to screw it into. That way the end sheat will have more protection from the wind and the purlin will be protected from weather. As regards ventilation if it's not broke don't fix it. We extended our cow shed here and shed man was wanting to change the the roof structure. We wouldn't let him as there are 150 cows in the shed and you wouldn't know they were there
A flashing would protect the ends of the purlin and then just get flashing or something to wrap around the H irons

Does the wind breaker be any good after a few years. I have seen it ripped on sheds
We have the green wind breaker on a shed here. It's north facing so not getting the strong winds. Three strands of high tensile wire pulled with a ratchet. And the wind breaker is cable tied to it. Up over 6 years now and is ok. The bloody cattle pulled at the bottom of the breaker and damaged it doh other than that works well

Is it on the most exposed side of the shed? The gable end of my shed is South facing and the winds can hit it hard.
South facing but another building in front of it.

I’d be looking at just cladding over the the edge to protect the ends of the purlins.

Box profile down at an angle to leave a couple foot gap at the top of the wall but not let water in. (Can even bring wall up to suit) And stick some clear sections in for light. Job done forever then.

Well lads
Going to put a canopy off a lean to shed just wondering what angle would I cut the steel at be thinking about 12 to 15 degrees or would that not be enough
Thanks lads

It depends really on what clearance height you want under it and how much height you have left above and how wide you want it to be . Done one here 10deg 10ft wide shallow angle allowed more clearance underneath and left room above for a clear space for ventilation. What is the shed going to be used for .
Well lads
Going to put a canopy off a lean to shed just wondering what angle would I cut the steel at be thinking about 12 to 15 degrees or would that not be enough
Thanks lads

It's a slated house just thought it might keep the silage dry wouldn't be all that high so I might go with 10 degrees so

Back