Combicrop

Pardon my ignorance, but isnt Combicrop just the same as sowing a mix of peas and a cereal? Something that has been practiced here for a long time. We sell peas and cereal every year for this use.

The usual problem from what I have seen is that the birds will eat the peas before they get over the ground!

Maybe BM will have something more constructive to add!

Pardon my ignorance, but isnt Combicrop just the same as sowing a mix of peas and a cereal? Something that has been practiced here for a long time. We sell peas and cereal every year for this use.

The usual problem from what I have seen is that the birds will eat the peas before they get over the ground!

Maybe BM will have something more constructive to add!

I think the point is that combicrop have matched suitable varieties to each other and marketed them.

I have grown barley and peas version of combicrop myself once and combined it for a neighbour for the last 5 years. The peas entwine themselves around the barley and then when the stem of the pea plant starts dying off and it rains heavy the pea plant drags the barley down with it EVERY SINGLE TIME WITHOUT FAIL. So if your going to grow the barley version be ready for some tedious combining and get the lifters ready. In contrast the oat version works really well as the oat plant is taller and seems to stand better just don't put much bagged N on as the peas should provide all the N required by the oats, also seen a really good load of straw produced by the oat version.

I have grown Combicrop from Western seeds for three years .While it will go over I would not call it lodging as it is very easy to get under . Most of it has been the Barley Pea mix but I have also grown small acreages of the Wheat pea Mix and the Oat pea mix . Both of which stood well . I would imagine the oat pea mix would suit organic .
I have never had to use a fungicide on it and the weed control on the Barley pea mix and the Wheat pea mix was Stomp Aqua at 3L/Ha . Between 30 to 50 units of Nitrogen was used .
Do not grow it where there is redshank or moory ground because the are no sprays in Ireland to control it . But I believe MCPB will .:whistling:
The barley pea mix has yielded between 1.75 to 2.5 tone /Acre with a protein varying from 13% to 15% .
One reason I continue growing it is because I have learned so much and it is easy sell and has been fed to sheep calves bulls and Horses ..No fungicide little nitrogen cheap weed killer and good enough yield after spending less than €90 an acre .http://www.westernseeds.com/r-nav/named/Home.jsp

Were most likely gonna put in the pit, but would like to try combine also.

Believe we cut in 12 weeks?

Just wondering how it looks?

Grew oat pea mix a few times with no inputs. We found sowing the peas first with the drill set deep then follow drilling the oats at normal depth kept the birds from stealing the seed, and the peas had a good rot established when the plant emerged, detering bird strike again. It all lodged but there is never any problem getting under oats. The straw makes excelent roughage, bit extra protien in the stems. Mowing for the pit may require a swather with side knife or suffer high losses of pods- not sure.

Peas and spring wheat for wholecrop?? Anybody done it, how did you fare? @CORK do I remember you saying you supply peas for this purpose??

Cut some organic combi crop for an organic customer this year , i was not looking forward to it, had images of the grain tank being full of shite, it was easily cut and the peas helped it from bridging in the tank. It did 2.2 tonnes in a fully organic system , valued at 350 a tonne it would tempt a lad ....

Cut some organic combi crop for an organic customer this year , i was not looking forward to it, had images of the grain tank being full of shite, it was easily cut and the peas helped it from bridging in the tank. It did 2.2 tonnes in a fully organic system , valued at 350 a tonne it would tempt a lad ....
Was that the same place the organic barley came out of?

Cut organic combi crop as well for a lad and twas hard going.Weather bad,high moisture,lodged crop and bridging in the tank.Luckily enough field was only 8 acres

Ignorant question here perhaps but what does bridging in the tank mean?

I am assuming he means when the grain is damp it sits in the tank and won’t flow down to the unloading auger. Have seen it with very damp barley. Would have to give the combine a few rocks forward and back to get it to flow again. The damp grain sort of sticks together.

Back